Nationals Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    I may think Frank Gehry is the antichrist, but at least his creations look like they were all done by the same guy at the same time.
    He should design a ballpark, imo. Too bad Gaudi isn't around to do one. I'd love to see a Rays' new park with sandcastle motif.

Comment

• Originally posted by zengator View Post
      He should design a ballpark, imo.
      Don't say such things. The park would fry everyone within 2 miles of it (Like the Disney Concert Hall), would leak incessantly, would be impossible to navigate, and would be $500m over budget.

Gehry is the worst thing to happen to architecture in a long time. Well, that and this:

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html
      http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Don't say such things. The park would fry everyone within 2 miles of it (Like the Disney Concert Hall), would leak incessantly, would be impossible to navigate, and would be $500m over
        Nothing's perfect, imo.

Comment

• In reference to an earlier post about ballparks just being ballparks. Here are some modern parks that I don't think followed the popular modern cliches:

Ballpark in Arlington
          Minute Maid Park
          New Rays Field (though I forsee problems w/ the cloth roof)
          Citi Field (though it is designed w/ a look towards Ebbetts and the layout is similar to most modern styles)
          Safeco Field
          and I like Miller largely because of the "fan" roof but the interorir reminds me of Arizona's park
          Baseball writer

Comment

• Getting back on topic:

That snow had to be good for that fresh sod. I would imagine the freezing could hurt it being so recently laid, but it's like a slow watering system as it melts.
            Baseball writer

Comment

• It's awesome to think that the Nationals park is almost done. I'd say its at least 75-80% done. From what I can tell about the field, it should be a good pitcher's park (I'm going by dimensions only).
              sigpic

D-Rex!

Comment

• Did anyone see that episode of Build It Bigger when he worked on the ballpark?

I tell you it looks like it is going to be an amazing ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by 645 View Post
                  Did anyone see that episode of Build It Bigger when he worked on the ballpark?

I tell you it looks like it is going to be an amazing ballpark.
                  It will be a nice park, but I don't know if amazing is the right word. The Build It Bigger show was a real insight into how these gigantic things come to be so it entertained from that angle. But the comments we've been getting about the apparent disharmony of the design are bourne out in that show when they revealed that the stadium was built section by section in (as I remember) a clockwise fashion and that unbuilt sections were actually still being designed as old ones were being installed.

The show also intimated that Nationals Park will likely be a pitchers' park as the prevailing winds blow in towards home.

I don't know if RFK could have been successfully renovated. Certainly the upper deck wooden seats I had in 2006 were rickety and needed replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
                    I don't know if RFK could have been successfully renovated. Certainly the upper deck wooden seats I had in 2006 were rickety and needed replacement.
                    If luxury boxes weren't a factor, RFK could probably be renovated and made nice by taking out the outfield upper deck (where views are horrible from in the first place). However, the mezzanine deck isn't nearly as deep as it seems, and for structures as large and deep as luxury boxes to be installed, it would probably require some major structural re-working.

Comment

• Pretty cool article about the design build aspect of the sadium: http://enr.ecnext.com/free-scripts/c...=febuar071205a

Comment

• there are a ton of pics on flickr of the stadium..

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=wash...ium&s=rec&ss=2

Comment

• From Ballpark Watch:

DC ballpark neighbors fear fan inundation
                          Posted Dec. 10, 2007

Opening Day is less than four months away, and residents near the Washington Nationals' new ballpark are finding themselves less excited about hot dogs and first pitches than they are anxious about clogged streets and a crush of fans in their neighborhoods. Congestion is already a problem south of Capitol Hill on the streets near the $611 million ballpark in Southeast Washington. City officials and Nationals executives have been working on plans for new traffic patterns and parking for about 5,000 cars expected at most games, but area residents say they've not seen any plans.
                          They're just realizing this now!?
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardK View Post
                            Sooo true, even now they almost dont have enough room for the cranes to get through the narrow gap, fact is, the stadium was squeezed inbetween 126th Street and Shea.
                            Except, as we've proven, it was not squeezed between anything. Parks have been built into far, far smaller spaces even while games were going on next door. I'm sure the brilliant folks at HOK and the construction crew could have figured out a solution.

I just wish these "I hate every ballpark, BAH HUMBUG!" people would just quite up already and stick to the topic.
                            So your critique of people who find fault with mediocrity is that they don't stick to the topic, as you post CitiField comments in a Nationals thread?
                            http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

you post CitiField comments in a Nationals thread?
                              Well, Citi Field will be the home of a National League ballclub...
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• I don't know why people go nuts about this topic all the time.

You can't please everyone I guess.

Look some people like the HOK designs. To you it may be mediocrity, but to others including myself I like the homey, smaller feel of todays venues. Am I right or wrong? Neither, its just the opinion I hold. Many of them look the same is the complaints of some, but didn't they also look somewhat the same in the 1920's when they were being built with obstructed poles and overhang roofs like those found in Yankee Stadium and Tiger Stadium. In the 60's and 70's they all started to take on the Roman coliseum look, and now today they have taken on the retro brick look with the added touches of today. So we have gone back into our past, big deal! We live in a copy cat world where trends follow the next.

You look at the architechture of soccer venues in Europe, now being built in stranger and more unique designs, they too have started to all look the same. Now are they nice? Too many yes, some like that style. Others don't.

I just don't see why everyone wants to fight about it. I don't disagree, there are some places "IMO" that could be done better, I think many will agree that places like GAB in Cincy is not a great venue, but it still boils down to a matter of opinion and to some degrees a matter of geography. Most Americans want a venue that is comfortable, accessable, fan friendly, has all the amenities, looks more retro then modern, etc. So in Europe they make venues a different way. Thats "their" style, we have ours!
                                Last edited by Jim Vaz; 12-11-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X