X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pere
    replied
    Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
    Anyway, back to Nats Park. I would love to see them remove two of the RF mezzanine sections. These seats don't sell and a gap between the upper bleachers and the traditional mezzanine would look better. Perhaps a viewing platform or party suites could go there (see Petco Park).
    That's a good idea. Just a standing-room terrace would be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I think Smirkman meant "retired" in the sense that "from this day forward no player would ever wear a Montreal Expos uniform with the number XXX." In this case "XXX" happens to represent every number from 1 to 99.
    Exactly. None of those players wore those numbers as an Expo. Current middle aged Washingtonians were heart broken when the team moved in 1971. They connect with the Nationals as a replacement not a shifted franchise.

Also remember that the expansion Senators(1961) were to be a continuation of the original Senators until Calvin Griffith pleaded his case and MLB changed their minds. (It was supposed to be like the Browns/ Ravens 35 years earlier.) For Washingtonians they still had the Senators but with worse players. Many of the players from the 1965 AL pennant winners had been in the organization prior to the move.

+ the Nats are continuing the Washington baseball tradition of underspending and performing at or near the bottom of the standings.

Anyway, back to Nats Park. I would love to see them remove two of the RF mezzanine sections. These seats don't sell and a gap between the upper bleachers and the traditional mezzanine would look better. Perhaps a viewing platform or party suites could go there (see Petco Park).

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    If MLB wanted to completely bury the Expos history then why would they allow New Era and other companies to still produce Expos apparel? How come Gary Carters plaque says Expos as will Andre Dawsons?
    follow the $$$$$'s...
    if they can make $$$$'s they will take it.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    ALL Montreal Expos numbers are retired.
    Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Jorge Padilla wore #8
    Ronnie Belliard wore #10
    Justin Maxwell wore #30
    ... last year.
    I think Smirkman meant "retired" in the sense that "from this day forward no player would ever wear a Montreal Expos uniform with the number XXX." In this case "XXX" happens to represent every number from 1 to 99.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Jorge Padilla wore #8
    Ronnie Belliard wore #10
    Justin Maxwell wore #30
    ... last year.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Vaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    Unfortunately, most of the resurgence of Expos merchandise isn't due to baseball nostalgia, but rather hip-hop fashion:
    Interesting article.

So its really all about the money?
    Go figure...lol

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    If MLB wanted to completely bury the Expos history then why would they allow New Era and other companies to still produce Expos apparel? How come Gary Carters plaque says Expos as will Andre Dawsons?

Look, I understand peoples desire for nostalgia, but the Expos are gone. If they were so sought after and a mass of people in Montreal and those associated with baseball wanted them to stay they would still be in Montreal today. Very few people in that city cared, they made no money and became a minor leagues to rest of baseball ((cough Pirates cough)). Sometimes you just move on.
    Unfortunately, most of the resurgence of Expos merchandise isn't due to baseball nostalgia, but rather hip-hop fashion:

Sept. 19th, 2009
    http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2009588

Hip-hop sparking Expos resurgence
    'It really has nothing to do with the sport'

MONTREAL -- It was five years ago this month that the last pitch was thrown at Olympic Stadium, but walking the city's streets these days you might think the Montreal Expos were in the thick of a pennant race. Young men wear Expos caps, jerseys and hoodies, and stores sell earrings and belt buckles with the team's distinctive logo. Walls displaying dozens of different colours of Expos hats greet customers at some sports shops.

"It's mind boggling," said Mike Corcoran, the area sales representative for New Era Cap Co., which is licensed to sell Major League Baseball caps and plans to market at least eight new Expos caps in the coming year. Mr. Corcoran said he is selling more Expos caps now than he did when the team was on the field, estimating that sales have jumped by 20% in the past two years.

For the most part, though, the people spending up to $50 for the hats are not nostalgic baseball fans. The current Expos craze has been sparked by local hip-hop artists who have adopted the red-white-and-blue logo to proclaim their Montreal roots.

"I'm pretty sure most of the people you see wearing the baseball caps, ask them to name three players from the last Expos season and they won't be able to tell you. It really has nothing to do with the sport," said Darleph Cazeneuve, a journalist and radio host who goes by the name Goofy Welldone. He has been covering the city's hip-hop scene for 10 years.

In the team's heyday, with their powder-blue road uniforms and tri-colour caps, the Expos look was anything but cool. But the love for the logo has grown since the team moved to Washington after the 2004 season.

"In the '80s and '90s, it was an ugly logo. Nobody would wear that except people who were really into baseball, old-stock Quebecers," said Mr. Cazeneuve. Now, though, "you are affirming your Montréalité, when you wear an Expos jersey."

The trend can be traced back to filmmaker Spike Lee, who in 1996 approached New Era about making a red version of his beloved New York Yankees cap. Major League Baseball approved the idea, and before long baseball caps became fashion items. Now caps from the Expos and other teams are available in almost every colour combination imaginable.

"Forget about what the official colours were. It does not matter," said Ken Haqq, New Era's Canadian sales manager. Trend-setting kids are looking for hats that match their shoes or wardrobe, he said.

Montreal rapper S. Rimsky Salgado, who performs under the name Imposs, is making more than a fashion statement when he wears one of his three Expos caps on stage. "The statement we are making is you can sell the team, but you can't take away the soul of what it represented for so many years," he said. "It's really Montreal pride."

Martine St-Victor, a Montreal publicist specializing in popular culture, said she has noticed the Expos logo popping up even in U.S. rap videos. And Mr. Haqq recounted a trip two years ago to New Era's flagship store in New York City, where he was surprised to find Expos hats on display.

Ms. St-Victor said the fact that the team is dead adds to the logo's cachet. "There's the vintage part of it, and in terms of style, it's a clean logo. It's very distinct because there's nothing that looks like it. You kind of feel like an insider when you recognize it."

Robert Araujo manages the Logo Sports shop on St-Laurent Boulevard, where he has nearly 30 different styles of Expos caps for sale - up from just two a couple years ago. His customers include everyone from hip-hop and skateboard kids to McGill University students from out of town.

"It was a franchise that was loved by a lot of people. They were always the underdog, a smaller market team that always competed," he said. "I think that stayed in the hearts of a lot of people."

National Post

[email protected]
    Last edited by Anubis2051; 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Vaz
    replied

Look, I understand peoples desire for nostalgia, but the Expos are gone. If they were so sought after and a mass of people in Montreal and those associated with baseball wanted them to stay they would still be in Montreal today. Very few people in that city cared, they made no money and became a minor leagues to rest of baseball ((cough Pirates cough)). Sometimes you just move on.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    mlb want to bury the expos and their history...

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    While there is no doubt that the Nationals organization started in 1969 as the Montreal Expos and officially the Nationals/ Expos are recognized as one organization I don't expect the current team to recognize the Expos in any way.
    1) There is a precedence. Teams that have changes their names rarely honor their previous city's history. At least for retiring numbers. See Baltimore, Minnesota and Oakland (even with the same name). Of course these teams hadn't retired #s like the expos did before they moved.
    2) There is no financial reason to do so. There are few fans of the Expos that root for the Nats and there is little to no financial reward in marketing to them. The Expos never won a World Series so there is no claim to fame. I think ownership see more potential in celebrating Washington's baseball past as they have used the Grays uniforms in throwback games. I would love to see the Senators used but since the Rangers own the name etc. so it doesn't seem likely.
    3) Washington Nats fans generally think of the team like an expansion team and don't care about the history from another city and country. The Expos were a shell of the former org when they moved so little remained from what fans knew of the expos.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    As far as the glorifying players that never played for their team, at least the nats don't really have a history of their own in DC to feed off of, however, as noted above in the picture of the scoreboard with game seven of the 1924 world series, they do try and incorporate it.
    Hall of Famers Goose Goslin, Sam Rice, Joe Cronin, Bucky Harris, Heinie Manush, Walter Johnson, Harmon Killebrew, and Frank Howard played for teams called the Washington Senators.

Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Rusty Staub, Tim Raines, Larry Walker, Randy Johnson, and Pedro Martínez played for the Montreal Expos who became the Washington Nationals.

These numbers should be on display at a ballpark as well as a hockey rink!

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Originally posted by LDYanks16 View Post
    If you're staying in the Washington area as it is, I'd say take the subway to Nationals Park so you don't have to worry about parking. The DC Metro has a stop a block from the stadium and is remarkably convenient and (dare I say) clean. The subway system is 10 times easier to navigate for an out-of-towner in DC than it is in NYC.

If you're just taking the trip down for the game and then going straight back home then the subway is kind of out of the equation I suppose. It's a shame you're going down for Opening Day, which is probably one of like 3 or 4 dates out of the year that the crowd will be sizable enough to even make parking a concern (although one of those pictures in your post shows parking decks just beyond the outfield gates).
    Subway it is I guess, thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by mets16 View Post
    If you're going there to party, turn around. It's basically a boring town with boring people. Nothing really to do around the park yet. The Verizon Center has some nice restaurants around it which is the Chinatown district. When I was there for a Mets-Nats game in June, we stayed in a nice hotel, that was far from the stadium but close to the arena. One thing I can tell you, don't take a cab from your hotel. We took one and it ended up being 25 bucks, but it was one of those Towncar cabs, we took a city cab home for like 12 bucks.

Anyways in terms of tickets, go for the clubs. We got 2 tickets in the club level for 35 a piece from a scalper. The clubs are nice, except for the Mets-ish decoration style, which is glorifying players who never played for your team.
    Not too worried about the party, I'm staying with a few friends at American U/GWU so that should all be taken care of!

As far as the glorifying players that never played for their team, at least the nats don't really have a history of their own in DC to feed off of, however, as noted above in the picture of the scoreboard with game seven of the 1924 world series, they do try and incorporate it.

Leave a comment:

• mets16
    replied
    If you're going there to party, turn around. It's basically a boring town with boring people. Nothing really to do around the park yet. The Verizon Center has some nice restaurants around it which is the Chinatown district. When I was there for a Mets-Nats game in June, we stayed in a nice hotel, that was far from the stadium but close to the arena. One thing I can tell you, don't take a cab from your hotel. We took one and it ended up being 25 bucks, but it was one of those Towncar cabs, we took a city cab home for like 12 bucks.

Anyways in terms of tickets, go for the clubs. We got 2 tickets in the club level for 35 a piece from a scalper. The clubs are nice, except for the Mets-ish decoration style, which is glorifying players who never played for your team. Some pics..

Set

Leave a comment:

• LDYanks16
    replied
    parking

If you're staying in the Washington area as it is, I'd say take the subway to Nationals Park so you don't have to worry about parking. The DC Metro has a stop a block from the stadium and is remarkably convenient and (dare I say) clean. The subway system is 10 times easier to navigate for an out-of-towner in DC than it is in NYC.

If you're just taking the trip down for the game and then going straight back home then the subway is kind of out of the equation I suppose. It's a shame you're going down for Opening Day, which is probably one of like 3 or 4 dates out of the year that the crowd will be sizable enough to even make parking a concern (although one of those pictures in your post shows parking decks just beyond the outfield gates).

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Looks like the nats are playing an exhibition on 4/3 against the red sox at home, interesting for a team that far north that isn't opening a new park. Are any other teams having exhibitions at home this year before the season starts?

I'm heading down to the Nat's new park for the first time for opening day, anyone have any tips? particularly when it comes to parking?

And heres a few cool pictures I've found of the place, which is one of my favorite ballparks:
    Great shot from the other side of the river I've never seen before:

View from the press box:

Park Entrance:

Locker Room:

Press Room (I always thought they should have done a set up like the government press rooms, with the blue curtain, and the oval with the picture of the park. I thought it would be a nice touch)

Bar:

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X