Nationals Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^
    Have to say that as a Nats' fan, I am not going to miss Philly phans and New Yorkers.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
      As I've posted before, I believe this will be a decent ballpark, nothing more and nothing less. Certainly not a great ballpark, but certainly not a horrible ballpark either.

They could have done a lot more with it, in terms of providing a better view of the city with the Capitol and Washington Monument. And the exterior could have been made to look less like a suburban office park and more to match the greco-roman architecture Washington DC is famous for.

But it will have some nice amenities and it is designed exclusively for baseball, so I can't say it will be that bad of a place for a game. And it certainly beats the heck out of RFK Stadium, which as the first of the awful cookie cutters of the 1960s and 1970s I can't say will be missed all that much.

There will be some issues as to parking, which is something of a premium in the neighborhood. And I can see the nearby Metro station getting bottlenecked pretty fast (I think they only have one line running to it, as opposed to RFK which has three lines).

But all in all, the Nationals get to have a park of their own and it's average to above-average. Could have done so much more with it, but I really think it beats what they have right now.
      All things considered, I think this will be a nice park and to me, it doesn't look bad. Commercial architecture these days truly lacks the detail, caftmanship and artistry of the past. So I think they did the best they could with what they had.

The ironic part of the Nationals Park "Urban Renewal" Project is that it is the SECOND attempt to revitalize that same area. Back in the 1950s, buildings dating back to the early 1800s were torn down in an attempt to flush out poverty and dilapidation. I hope it works, this time...

Comment

• New exterior pictures here, taken today:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium.cfm?tab=no2

Comment

• Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
          New exterior pictures here, taken today:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium.cfm?tab=no2
          That guy does an amazing job with those comparison photos.

Comment

• WOW, they cleared alot of stuff for this stadium. The reorganized streets, took down bridges, and even demolished houses. With all the demolition, how much was the whole project?
            The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
              WOW, they cleared alot of stuff for this stadium. The reorganized streets, took down bridges, and even demolished houses. With all the demolition, how much was the whole project?
              I think $611 million. At least that's what I heard it took to build, I'm not exactly sure if it includes demo. If anyone can clarify this, please do.
              Last edited by jp_nys; 12-25-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Any idea when tickets go on sale? That first weekend in May is gonna be a good one! I can't wait to see the new park!
                LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                  All things considered, I think this will be a nice park and to me, it doesn't look bad. Commercial architecture these days truly lacks the detail, caftmanship and artistry of the past. So I think they did the best they could with what they had.

The ironic part of the Nationals Park "Urban Renewal" Project is that it is the SECOND attempt to revitalize that same area. Back in the 1950s, buildings dating back to the early 1800s were torn down in an attempt to flush out poverty and dilapidation. I hope it works, this time...
                  Most of that was done on the other side of S. Capitol St. in SW. The "Urban Renwal" project leveled a slum and created the "super block" in it's place. Too bad this area will not be affected by the new ballpark, however there are plans to redevelop the Maine St. waterfront and connect it to Metro via pedestrian connections. Perhaps this will help the modern slum where the "Urban Renewal" did not.

The area that is seeing renuwal is near SE where there was little in the way of residential structures. In Se the existing buildings were mostly leveled and new buildings are springing up. In SW most of the land is residential and it will be difficult and politically dangerous to remove large amounts of subsidized residents (again). Some gentrification may take place over time as DC always has people looking for the next thing, but there are so many projects that it will be a long time before you see the same type of gentrification that happens to other areas + the buildings are ugly superstructures that would have to be torn down and the street grid would have to be reconnected.

Comment

• Wow, I'm both impressed and pumped for the new nats stadium. As a Nats fan, this is great news for a turn around franchise. GO NATS GO!!!!!!

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
                    Not sure if anybody's seen this yet... more than half of the video is devoted to showing all of the different suites and luxury boxes.

I think it looks good. I know people are upset that the suites are located in places that get rid of some of the best seating locations, but I think that's just a result of where the team is playing. They must figure that a good portion of their business is going to come from politicians, lobbyists, businessmen entertaining clients, etc... whereas a more established team has some of these but the overwhelming majority of the teams' business comes from fans coming to see the ballgame itself. I don't know if you can fault the Nationals for that.

Either way, the amenities are unbelivable... and it looks like it might turn out to be a nice place for the average fan to catch a game, too.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...rtual_tour.jsp

Comment

• What's with this tarp that's been over the grass for the past week and a half... Can the grass grow under that thing?

Comment

• Not trying to be an a-hole or anything here, but is it just me, or does that seem like an ugly looking exterior to anybody? I mean so "techno" looking and wierd looking. I feel like with all the amazing architecture in D.C. they could have themed it around that and had a BEAUTIFUL ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan2987 View Post
                          Not trying to be an a-hole or anything here, but is it just me, or does that seem like an ugly looking exterior to anybody? I mean so "techno" looking and wierd looking. I feel like with all the amazing architecture in D.C. they could have themed it around that and had a BEAUTIFUL ballpark.
                          Believe me--it isn't just you.

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan2987 View Post
                            Not trying to be an a-hole or anything here, but is it just me, or does that seem like an ugly looking exterior to anybody? I mean so "techno" looking and wierd looking. I feel like with all the amazing architecture in D.C. they could have themed it around that and had a BEAUTIFUL ballpark.
                            Like it or not(I'm not sure which I do yet), the stadiums design actually does fit in with the local architecture. Not the roman style buildings like the white house and capital building, but the new style of architecture. DC seems to be trying to get a more modern look.

and the future...

so the new stadium really does fit in with these buildings. I know a lot of people wanted the stadium to look like a roman colesium. But you can't blame them for wanting the capital of the greatest country in the world to get a more modern look after some 200+ years. Imagine the outrage that will come when they want to build a more modern looking white house

Comment

• Originally posted by Mex4Prez View Post
                              Like it or not(I'm not sure which I do yet), the stadiums design actually does fit in with the local architecture. Not the roman style buildings like the white house and capital building, but the new style of architecture. DC seems to be trying to get a more modern look.

so the new stadium really does fit in with these buildings. I know a lot of people wanted the stadium to look like a roman colesium. But you can't blame them for wanting the capital of the greatest country in the world to get a more modern look after some 200+ years. Imagine the outrage that will come when they want to build a more modern looking white house
                              At least those buildings are somewhat attractive, at least IMO.

I didn't mind the exterior of Nationals Park when I saw it in this rendering:

But now that it's built it looks pretty ugly... very bland, almost like a warehouse or something. I think in the rendering above you have the green grass, the blue seats, and the red awnings... so your eye doesn't really catch on to how grey the stadium itself is. Maybe once the area is landscaped and once they have awnings and signs up, it will look a little better.

Personally I think the new Yankee Stadium will look almost as bland from the outside... the facade has no color or contrast to it.

I liked the tannish-grey facade shown in the original renderings better:
                              Last edited by nymdan; 12-31-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
                                At least those buildings are somewhat attractive, at least IMO.

I didn't mind the exterior of Nationals Park when I saw it in this rendering:

But now that it's built it looks pretty ugly... very bland, almost like a warehouse or something. I think in the rendering above you have the green grass, the blue seats, and the red awnings... so your eye doesn't really catch on to how grey the stadium itself is. Maybe once the area is landscaped and once they have awnings and signs up, it will look a little better.

Personally I think the new Yankee Stadium will look almost as bland from the outside... the facade has no color or contrast to it.

I liked the tannish-grey facade shown in the original renderings better:

never ever EVER judge art before its finished. havent we learned anything from watching bob ross?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X