Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationals Park

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    You mean revenue stealing.
    No, revenue stealing is what the "big market" teams have been doing for some time. When the Yankees play the Twins, just for instance, the Yankees get the major share of the profits, even if the game is in Minneapolis, because of the outdated terms on television broadcast rights.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by spark240 View Post
      No, revenue stealing is what the "big market" teams have been doing for some time. When the Yankees play the Twins, just for instance, the Yankees get the major share of the profits, even if the game is in Minneapolis, because of the outdated terms on television broadcast rights.
      HA! Who fills up the ballpark when the Yankees come to town? It sure as hell isn't the product the Twins put on the field.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
        People bitch and moan about a salary cap but when there should really be a salary floor.
        I agree.

        Let's institute a system where TV broadcast revenues from every game are shared equally between the two teams participating. This will still give big-market teams much more revenue overall (because all their games will be broadcast in big markets, not just some of them), but it will be fair to their opponents. Then we can restore the 20% visiting team share of gate. Everybody can keep their own concession and merch revenue.

        Then, let's work up a formula, tied in with league average revenues (which will be more stable and equitable under this system, although still not comparable to the NFL) for a minimum team payroll.

        The current "revenue sharing" system is indeed stupid... but it's slightly better than the current system, without it.
        Last edited by Pere; 02-09-2008, 10:22 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
          HA! Who fills up the ballpark when the Yankees come to town? It sure as hell isn't the product the Twins put on the field.
          Whether that's true or not, it's irrelevant. The important point is that the Yankees' games have meaning and value--even to Yankee fans--only because they take place in the context of an organized league. The Yankees aren't "earning" the revenue on their own. No team ever is.

          (Mods, please relocate this exchange as appropriate, since this thread is supposed to be about the Nationals ballpark.)
          Last edited by Pere; 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
            HA! Who fills up the ballpark when the Yankees come to town? It sure as hell isn't the product the Twins put on the field.
            That's not fair. Plenty of hardcore baseball fans love watching guys like Morneau, Mauer, Liriano, Delmon Young, Joe Nathan & Pat Neshek. We're probably not making the playoffs in '08...but I know there are many fans like me who go to the ballpark to watch players from every team.

            Back to the Nats park. I bet it gets remodeled sooner than Citi, YSII, & Twins.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
              That's not fair. Plenty of hardcore baseball fans love watching guys like Morneau, Mauer, Liriano, Delmon Young, Joe Nathan & Pat Neshek. We're probably not making the playoffs in '08...but I know there are many fans like me who go to the ballpark to watch players from every team.
              Don't forget, there are also fans who just like to spend a day at the ballpark and couldn't care less if the team is in contention, as long as they have a good time.

              It's great that the Mets are a contending team, but as recently as 2004 I was able to get a pair of field level box seats, maybe 8 or 10 rows from the field, in one of the sections where they have cupholders and waiter service, for $25! That's right, two $65-face Field Level boxes for $25! Alas, those days are gone forever...
              X

              Comment


              • My favorite National Park is Olympic National Park.

                Comment


                • I think the stadium is fine. I am a retro park fan and would have loved a park of that nature, but I think the current design is unique itself. As one who works in downtown DC, I can say that this look is very DC. They obviously took a lot of cues from the East Gallery and Air and Space Museum architecture. Not everyone's cup 'o tea, but it does fit DC. Which I think is more than you can say for some recent stadiums.

                  Comment


                  • It is a bit - utilitarian, but some of the interiors look interesting. Love the Diamond Club motif celebrating the Senators only crown, winning it in the 12th inning...


                    Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                    Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

                    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by brewerfan386 View Post
                      Inside
                      This may sound out there, but the exterior kind of reminds me of a modernized Tiger Stadium.
                      -Ryan

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by reh303 View Post
                        This may sound out there, but the exterior kind of reminds me of a modernized Tiger Stadium.
                        I can see it...

                        Comment


                        • So who is going to be the first hitter to hit the parking garage?



                          and please tell me that is a bullpen down the right field line.

                          Comment


                          • I haven't paid much attention to the construction/design of this ballpark so don't fire me down, but how in the world did architects really find it to be a great idea that a parking garage works into the skyline beyond the outfield wall?

                            A gray sterile building kills whatever buzz the cherry trees perched right underneath will give the ballpark...a shame.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
                              Will people be able to walk in from off the street and watch the games from the car park (parking garage) for free?
                              X

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CitiFieldIsNoShea View Post
                                I haven't paid much attention to the construction/design of this ballpark so don't fire me down, but how in the world did architects really find it to be a great idea that a parking garage works into the skyline beyond the outfield wall?

                                A gray sterile building kills whatever buzz the cherry trees perched right underneath will give the ballpark...a shame.
                                In the renderings, the garages aren't as blatant because they have Nationals signs covering them up. I wonder if they're planning on doing that or if that's just for the renderings.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X