Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great One
    replied
    If they had a clue, they would lower the prices behing home plate. Find someone stupid enough to spend $400 to see a Nationals regular season game.

Anyone?...Anyone?...Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Lafferty Daniel
    replied
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Washington Nationals, who rank in the bottom half of Major League Baseball in attendance despite a new ballpark, are lowering some of their season ticket prices for next season.

Prices will go down for 7,500 seats in the 41,888-seat Nationals Park, mostly in the outfield sections. Seats in most of the discounted sections will cost $5 to $10 less per game, lowering the stadium's average season ticket price for a non-premium seat to approximately $29.

The team opted not to lower the prices of the expensive seats behind home plate, where sparse attendance has sometimes created an embarrassing image on television. Those tickets sell for as much as $400 per game.

The Nationals, in last place in the NL East, are averaging 29,509 fans per game, 18th in the majors and well below the National League average of 34,204 following Wednesday's games.
    Buy low Nats fans, because Lastings Milledge is gonna be money next year. Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    I agree. I think most of the seating in foul territory is reasonably priced, but the outfield seats are ridiculous. When the seating chart with prices came out, I thought it was a joke and thought it would change before seats were sold. I have heard that much of the marketing staff came from basketball thus I have made the assumption that they are pricing the ballpark by proximity to the field and not to the diamond. It bugs me that so many people here (DC) understand sports in general but don't truly get baseball and thus try to apply their thinking/ experiences to baseball. Baseball is a unique sport with rules that only apply to baseball. It all starts with the absence of a clock and revolves around the history and nuances of the game. The Washington Post sports writers are a perfect example of this. The problem is that they are a smart group, however that has blinded them from truly understanding baseball.

Leave a comment:

• btown12
    replied
    Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
    PS- Food. The food is so much better than RFK that it is hard to not get excited about it. I always thought that Camden Yards food was pretty good, but think ours is better. The Baltimore Sun ran a review earlier this year and stated as much. I hope this isn't a 1st year thing and the food stays good while the team improves. One true test of good food for me is the fries as they as so easy to screw up. The fries are great and so are the chilli dogs. On the negative - the prices are too high. This is a trend throughout the ballpark. I hope they properly price everything over the offseason and leave it alone for several years. Wishfull thinking, but I can dream.
    Yeah I definitely regret not trying any of the ballpark food but didn't realize until after I had already left!

With regards to pricing, whether or not they lower some food/drink prices is one thing, but they really need to rethink their seating prices. It looks silly to see a handful of people sitting in the RF seats when the rest of the park is filled. Also the 200 level above the RF bullpen was pretty empty and I'm guessing that's the case for most games. Even in 205 where I sat, the single game price was $33 while I only pay $25 for in the same location in Philly. I can understand DC being a little more expensive but while looking at the seating chart in the Nats program, there are some sections where the ticket price difference between the two cities is $20 or more. Hopefully they get this fixed for next year.

Leave a comment:

• TinoM24
    replied
    and no chainlink fences either (see: Aaron Rowand)

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied
    Originally posted by jC... View Post
    I can't wait to see the first ballpark that converts its entire outfield wall to one of those LCD screens life in Right Center. You could change the entire look of the stadium between innings with different colored walls!
    You also wouldn't have to bother with good outfielders, since they'd constantly be on the DL. Ever since Damon missed a few days by getting cut on the outfield scoreboard at Rogers Centre a few years back, I've been seriously against these stupid boards.

If I'm investing $100m in someone, I'm making the outfield walls as thick and padded as possible.

Leave a comment:

• jC...
    replied
    I can't wait to see the first ballpark that converts its entire outfield wall to one of those LCD screens life in Right Center. You could change the entire look of the stadium between innings with different colored walls!

Leave a comment:

• yankies4life
    replied
    heres a couple pictures i put together from my first trip to nationals park. i thought it was a nice stadium, sat down on the first base line but compared to yankee stadium, the security is a breeze and i couldve sat front row if i wanted to. the food lines were always crowded though. i did like durin the national anthem that when they say " and the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air" they shot off fireworks. i thought that was cool. the best part of the park is the scoreboard. its massive and i enjoyed the out of town board aswell. As soon as i saw it, I was saying man i wish the yankees is like this one.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Nice review. I agree with your observations. I am looking forward to when Nats fans care more about the team. I have to admit that I cheer when I go to the games, but don't feel the need to argue with out-of-towners because we stink and I have accepted that and the fact that locals are used to people from elsewhere either as visitors or as residents. Yes it is annoying, but it is part of the culture.

PS- Food. The food is so much better than RFK that it is hard to not get excited about it. I always thought that Camden Yards food was pretty good, but think ours is better. The Baltimore Sun ran a review earlier this year and stated as much. I hope this isn't a 1st year thing and the food stays good while the team improves. One true test of good food for me is the fries as they as so easy to screw up. The fries are great and so are the chilli dogs. On the negative - the prices are too high. This is a trend throughout the ballpark. I hope they properly price everything over the offseason and leave it alone for several years. Wishfull thinking, but I can dream.

Leave a comment:

• btown12
    replied
    Well, I finally got to visit Nationals Park this past week (July 31st, Phils vs. Nats), and while I wasn't blown away, I definitely enjoyed the park and the whole experience. Here's my "grades" if you will.

Area - C- (for now)
    Stayed at the Courtyard Marriot, very nice hotel, unfortunately there's not much else built around the park yet. There's a Subway, Five Guys Burgers, CVS, Starbucks....and that's it. In the next couple of years this will obviously change as the whole area is under construction but it would be nice to at least have some sort of bar/restaurant to hang out at before/after the game. Ended up going back to the hotel and hanging in the lobby bar after the game with all the other Phils fans who were staying at the hotel.

Ballpark - B+
    Sat in section 205 down the 3B line, great view and very close to the action, also had a few concession areas behind our seats that were not very crowded since only about 5 sections utilize them. Walked all throughout the ballpark, sight lines were good from what I could tell. They definitely need to work on their pricing structure though since it looks odd when the upper decks are sold out and only 2 sections of the right field seats are filled. Lower level concourse seems like it could be a little wider, food lines often clogged up the walking areas. I also hate how the PNC Club behind home plate blocks the view from the concourse, really wish it was open to the field all the way around. Scoreboard was nice and not too over the top (or too big), definitely had a lot of good info on there. It was nice to see everything I wanted on one board and not have to look at auxilary boards for counts/pitch speed/etc...

Food - I don't know, didn't eat anything the whole time. However the chili dogs looked like they could put you out of action for an inning or two.

Beverages - C
    Beer is a little more expensive than I'm used to at at home in CBP ($7.50 no matter what you order...sorry but if a Stella is $7.50, a Miller Light plastic bottle should be no more than $7, $6.50 probably). Lots of great places to stand and watch the game, Red Loft was pretty crowded but the Scoreboard Walk, which is now completed, was a nice and breezy hangout spot. Also loved the Home Run Ale they have on tap.

Atmosphere - C+
    I know the franchise is still relatively new but the fans seemed to not care about any of the action on the field. There were Phils fans everywhere and I got no sense that the Nats fans were upset by our presence and had little pride in their home team and "defending" their home stadium. I also realize the team is a few years away from contending but it seems like a lot of people there could care less about the game.

Overall - B
    I had a good time, helped by a Phils win and a few brews, but I have a feeling that in years to come the ballpark can be so much better. Once the Nats get better and the surrounding area gets developed I can see the park becoming a destination. Bottom line, it's a huuuge upgrade from RFK and tough to really give it an accurate grade with the area and ballclub still kinda under construction. Definitely can't wait to make a trip back down next year and see how things have evolved!

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    Here's an article from the first section of today's NY Times about the seeming hypocrisy of a green ballpark with prominent ExxonMobil ads
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/us/27stadium.html
    What a bunch of idiots, who cares if Exxon is a sponsor. What, are people going to burn more gas because of it? These people don't realize that most of their way of life wouldn't exist without petroleum, and these oil companies do a great service to the world. Yeah they need to clean up, but they're doing it these days for whatever motivation they may have. Exxon has every right to advertise there and no one should have a problem with it.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    Here's an article from the first section of today's NY Times about the seeming hypocrisy of a green ballpark with prominent ExxonMobil ads
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/us/27stadium.html

Leave a comment:

• peterrod16
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I was there for the home opener and it's a nice place to watch a game, but by far not one of the best in the majors. The main problems are with pricing, the Nats are overcharging for lower value sections, and way over charging for behind the plate seats which as a result are always empty, and weirdly constructed. Also, the ushers are fat lazy ghetto zombies who would rather be somewhere else. I recommend buying the cheapest ticket and walking down to sit in front of the dugout. Easy as pie.
    GordonGecko you right nats tickets are too expensive.
    i went there a day before memorial day with my two coworkers.
    Traveling from Jersey we didnt want to pay a lot for tickets.
    So we did the family fun pack deal; 1 ticket 1 hot dog soda and chips for $14.
    We paid $17.50 with online sercharges.
    http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...y_fun_days.jsp
    It was worth. Here is a pic of our seating location Section 226 MU
    I highly doubt the mets will do this.
    Tip redem you food voucher early because the food lines are terrible.
    Buy a cheap ticket and walk around View pic
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by brewers96 View Post
    Very nice ballpark. Walkways look big. Suites look nice. Everythink looks good.
    I was there for the home opener and it's a nice place to watch a game, but by far not one of the best in the majors. The main problems are with pricing, the Nats are overcharging for lower value sections, and way over charging for behind the plate seats which as a result are always empty, and weirdly constructed. Also, the ushers are fat lazy ghetto zombies who would rather be somewhere else. I recommend buying the cheapest ticket and walking down to sit in front of the dugout. Easy as pie.

Leave a comment:

• brewers96
    replied
    Very nice ballpark. Walkways look big. Suites look nice. Everythink looks good.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X