X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees2k6
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I came to a conclusion that helps support both my rays theory and my nationals theory in the bath tub today. DC fills one of the biggest stadiums in the nfl every sunday and has baltimore to compete with who is filling up there big stadium too.

So I think this another situation where you can't drop a team and a stadium in a city and expect fans to instantly be attracted. By no means is DC or Tampa anti sport because they fill up other sports venues, it will just take time to gradually win fans. Anyone agree?
    I agree, gotta take a few years to get some fans, unless a city has been starving for a sport it wanted for so long (like Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada for the NHL)

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky Bomber
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    The classiest owners in sports are refusing to pay rent for their "unfinished" Nationals Park:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071002731.html

What a wonderful thank you to the Washington taxpayers: you give us $611m, we just take more.
    Unbelievable. Watch out DC, these guys have Ed Short written all over them.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I came to a conclusion that helps support both my rays theory and my nationals theory in the bath tub today. DC fills one of the biggest stadiums in the nfl every sunday and has baltimore to compete with who is filling up there big stadium too.

So I think this another situation where you can't drop a team and a stadium in a city and expect fans to instantly be attracted. By no means is DC or Tampa anti sport because they fill up other sports venues, it will just take time to gradually win fans. Anyone agree?

Leave a comment:

• Lafferty Daniel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    The classiest owners in sports are refusing to pay rent for their "unfinished" Nationals Park:

What a wonderful thank you to the Washington taxpayers: you give us $611m, we just take more.
    The sad part is that most of the people in D.C. and other cities that provide public subsidies for stadiums don't notice or don't care.

Leave a comment:

• peterrod16
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    Two people died on the "Nats Express" bus going from RFK to Nationals Park on Friday night when the double decker bus hit an overpass:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071200010.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...8071201610.htm
    I dont think it was a nats express bus. I was on one in may 25th and its a Martz bus with a close top. The article states it was a sightseeing bus.
    Still a sad sorry never the Less. I appreciated how friendly everyone was at RFk for the bus and at nats park.

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    Two people died on the "Nats Express" bus going from RFK to Nationals Park on Friday night when the double decker bus hit an overpass:

That's horrible

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by nymetsgiantspolo View Post
    Put a winning team on the field and magic can happen.... the only place where I don't see that too much is with the Marlins... though a new stadium might solve that.
    A new stadium and a new attitude will solve that. A new attitude that says both the team and its players are in town for good. Up to this point, that has been what was lacking in South Florida. That has been what has offset what would have otherwise been excitement coming off two championship season.

The signing of Hanley Ramirez to a long term contract was a good start by management. Hopefully they will follow it up with several other smart decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Club level concourse:

BTW these were lifted from the Nats320 blog.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Smirkman; 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by btown12 View Post
    Has anyone sat in this area of seats yet? I'm going down at the end of the month for the Phils series and have seats there, just curious how they are. I'm guessing there's no concourse behind the seats, probably have to walk downstairs for bathrooms/food/etc...

I haven't sat there but it looks like there are bathrooms, but not much else.

EDIT: Oops see the club level conncourse below. The Mezzanine is for suites.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Smirkman; 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• btown12
    replied
    Has anyone sat in this area of seats yet? I'm going down at the end of the month for the Phils series and have seats there, just curious how they are. I'm guessing there's no concourse behind the seats, probably have to walk downstairs for bathrooms/food/etc...

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post

"You've got a marketplace that's been conditioned to following the Orioles for several decades. The reality is, you're creating a new generation of baseball fans for Washington, D.C. That's tough."
    This is exactly the reason Washington may appear to be a bad market. In reality it isn't, but people that chose other teams during the 33 year absence are not switching to the Nats until they give them a reason to do so. 1st was the ballpark now they must win. Fans will convert, but I want the kids to grow up Nats fans. That being said the ratings are a dissappointment, however some nights even I can't bear to watch another pathetic performance by a team of bench players. I still watch and enjoy so when a rookie is called up.

Leave a comment:

• nymetsgiantspolo
    replied
    Put a winning team on the field and magic can happen.... the only place where I don't see that too much is with the Marlins... though a new stadium might solve that.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoMets687
    replied
    Nats dead last in TV ratings

Nats Striking Out on TV
    MASN Programming Ranks Last Among U.S. Major League Markets

By Dan Steinberg
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008; Page E01

The Washington Nationals are drawing the smallest U.S. regional television audience in baseball this season, attracting less than one-third the average number of households of any other team, according to an analysis of Nielsen Media Research data published yesterday by SportsBusiness Journal.

e Nationals, whose games are broadcast on either MASN or MASN2, are drawing a 0.39 average rating and an average of 9,000 households in the Washington market, according to the report. That's a decline of about 43 percent from last season's totals, and a significantly lower regional sports network audience than any other U.S. team has drawn this season. The figures do not include potential viewers outside the Washington market; MASN's reach stretches from Harrisburg, Pa., to Charlotte.
    ad_icon

The Baltimore Orioles, whose games also appear on MASN and MASN2, are averaging a 3.05 rating and 33,000 households in the Baltimore market. Aside from the Nationals, the Kansas City Royals have attracted the lowest regional audience, approximately 28,000 households.

The Nationals have been beset by a string of injuries to their best-known players, and have the worst record in Major League Baseball. The team's average paid attendance in its new stadium is 29,754, which ranks 15th in the 30-team league.

A MASN spokesman cited the team's injuries and short history in Washington as contributing to the low television ratings, and emphasized the strong attendance of both the franchise and Major League Baseball as a whole.

"This is a marathon and not a sprint," Todd Webster, the spokesman, said. "The team is still relatively new. It is still building. Obviously they've had some tough breaks on the field with some injuries, but they have an outstanding ownership and management team in place and we expect that those ratings will improve. It is still the national pastime."

Webster said he doesn't believe the fact that all Nationals games are not on the same channel hurts the team's ratings. The Nationals referred all questions to MASN.

The Nationals own a portion of MASN, but are not the majority shareholders in the network. The Orioles are the majority shareholders, the result of the bargain that baseball struck with Orioles owner Peter Angelos when it relocated the Nationals franchise to Washington.

SportsBusiness Journal reported last month that Orioles broadcasts on MASN and MASN2 are drawing higher ratings in the Washington market than are Nationals broadcasts.

Network baseball ratings have dropped across the board this season, according to the report, but teams that have succeeded on the field have seen large increases in local ratings. The surprising Tampa Bay Rays, for example, have seen their ratings on FSN Florida jump more than 30 percent over last year's figures.

"If things turn around next year [for the Nationals], you'll find ratings on the mend," said Lee Berke, president and chief executive of sports television consulting firm LHB and a former executive with the MSG Network. "It doesn't strike me as unbelievably low given the situation the Nationals are in, which is a start-up team in a town that has a lot of divided loyalties. Things do turn around."

The Washington Capitals saw their local ratings spike during their late-season surge last season. The Capitals broadcasts drew a 0.78 rating and an average of 17,940 households on Comcast SportsNet and CSN+, more than double the previous year's audience. Wizards regular season games, also on Comcast SportsNet, averaged a 0.9 rating (20,700 households) in the Washington market. Through eight regular season games this year, D.C. United has averaged a 0.5 rating (11,500 households) on CSN, which has a business relationship with The Washington Post.

"Apart from the Redskins, which is a totally separate ballgame, these teams are going to rise and fall with their performance on the field, and they sort of have to battle the fact that, particularly with the Nationals, they haven't been there for decades," Berke said. "You've got a marketplace that's been conditioned to following the Orioles for several decades. The reality is, you're creating a new generation of baseball fans for Washington, D.C. That's tough."

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X