• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
    Last 3 games:

Not too bad. When your stadium only holds 41,000 it is hard to get those 22,000 early April weeknights to not kill the average.
    Also good numbers for a last place team! Ask the first place rays!

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Last 3 games:

Not too bad. When your stadium only holds 41,000 it is hard to get those 22,000 early April weeknights to not kill the average.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Originally posted by six4three View Post
    Can't be that many more Rays fans, unless the Yankees fans and Red Sox fans have stopped coming....
    It's definately more TB fans there- I'm watching the Red Sox and Tampa fans are actually drowning out the Red Sox fans for the first time I can recall...it's gotta be at least a 50/50 split there if not more in favor of Tampa.

Leave a comment:

• six4three
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    I think the difference between that and previous years is that a lot more Rays fans are coming out.

In previous years, when the Rays had an opponent with a big traveling/transient fanbase such as the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs, the visiting team would get 15,000 or more fans, and the Rays might get 10,000 tops.

Now I think that the casual Rays fans are starting to show up, you are seeing a lot more Rays fans at the ballpark rooting for the Rays, so it counteracts that visiting segment of fans.
    Can't be that many more Rays fans, unless the Yankees fans and Red Sox fans have stopped coming....

Leave a comment:

• six4three
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That's EXACTLY what people said in Montreal. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Difference is that DC built a ballpark. That's the cost of being in the Majors, and had Montreal done that their attendance numbers would have been moot.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by J.R. View Post
    The three Cubs games had something to do with that. I agree though, let's see how it goes through this season and into next.
    I think the difference between that and previous years is that a lot more Rays fans are coming out.

In previous years, when the Rays had an opponent with a big traveling/transient fanbase such as the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs, the visiting team would get 15,000 or more fans, and the Rays might get 10,000 tops.

Now I think that the casual Rays fans are starting to show up, you are seeing a lot more Rays fans at the ballpark rooting for the Rays, so it counteracts that visiting segment of fans.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Actually, there already has been a noticeable increase in attendance at Rays games, something to the tune of 36%, and the season is only about halfway done so far. Should the Rays continue their winning ways, conventional wisdom has the crowds only getting larger and larger as the pennant race heats up.
    This shows that you have to build a fan base at some time. Until this year the Rays had some talent but it didn't translate into wins. I imagine that if the Rays can win or be competitive for several years and build a fanbase that they will be able to withstand some down years. The Nats are similar except they have a larger fanbase that still has ties to other teams. The team needs to win in order to break those ties. There is no problem with the DC market and I find it funny how everyone is jumping on it when attendance per win has been high for all 3 1/2 years. This is not Denver where people were clamoring for a team for years. Baltimore was right around the corner and many Marylanders in the DC market still support the team. Many would switch if given a reason. In Baltimore the Ravens turned the town into a football town by winning the Super Bowl. All the Nats have to do is become competitive.

Leave a comment:

• J.R.
    replied
    Actually, there already has been a noticeable increase in attendance at Rays games, something to the tune of 36%, and the season is only about halfway done so far. Should the Rays continue their winning ways, conventional wisdom has the crowds only getting larger and larger as the pennant race heats up.
    The three Cubs games had something to do with that. I agree though, let's see how it goes through this season and into next.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    . People in Tampa kept saying that their poor attendance was because they fielded bad teams, but now that they're winning, they don't seem to be drawing anymore fans.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    39,479 yesterday... not bad.

Washingtonians want a winner. Once this team gets better attendance will be in the top 1/3.
    Maybe, but the fact they only drew around 20,000 for the second-ever game at Nationals Park shows that the interest level just isn't there. You would think even with a bad team, if the team had a decent-sized fan base, the second game ticket would be a hard one to get, with all of the people that couldn't make/couldn't get tickets for Opening Night.

Of course, it takes time to build a fan base, but it's also possible the interest level in DC just isn't there. People in Tampa kept saying that their poor attendance was because they fielded bad teams, but now that they're winning, they don't seem to be drawing anymore fans.

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Washingtonians want a winner. Once this team gets better attendance will be in the top 1/3.
    That's EXACTLY what people said in Montreal. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    This really hasn't been a good sign all season. If the Nats can barely average 29,000, imagine what their attendance will be in a year or two when the "new ballpark smell" wears off.

There is no new ballpark smell. Washingtonians have been able to go to Baltimore for years. A new ballpark is nothing new. Attendance is not great, but for a terrible team it is ok. Washingtonians want a winner. Once this team gets better attendance will be in the top 1/3.

BTW how many fans do you think come down from Baltimore when the Orioles draw less at their own ballpark?

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoMets687
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    Only 35,830 at Nationals Park last night for the game against the Orioles. That's pretty bad that they're not able to fill up the stadium even with fans coming down from Baltimore.

I'd expect the Saturday and Sunday crowds to be bigger. Let's see what those numbers turn out to be.
    This really hasn't been a good sign all season. If the Nats can barely average 29,000, imagine what their attendance will be in a year or two when the "new ballpark smell" wears off.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    Only 35,830 at Nationals Park last night for the game against the Orioles. That's pretty bad that they're not able to fill up the stadium even with fans coming down from Baltimore.

I'd expect the Saturday and Sunday crowds to be bigger. Let's see what those numbers turn out to be.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I heard the other day that we are still making money for certain things that were taked onto the bucs football stadium's half cent sales tax, I thought that was interesting.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X