X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pere
    replied
    Originally posted by nymdan View Post
    I figured that people sitting up there would feel pushed back, but that's not the case.
    I certainly felt "pushed back," and just plain high up, on the 300 level of Nationals Park. While I had clear sightlines to almost all of the field, it was a long ways away. I enjoyed the other games a lot more.

As far as I'm concerned, the top two levels (300 and 400) are not acceptable at any price. The 200 level was okay, except that some sections are drastically overpriced.

So, they couldn't simply just push forward the second deck... they actually would have to make the upper deck steeper.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    It's grass like your average lawn...they chose to seed it rather than planting turf so it takes longer to grow out and is uneven, it probably won't fully grow in for a while but it will get there eventually.
    This is grass? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
    I think Nats Park turned out better than I thought and looks like a great place to catch a game. I just wish they would have pushed the upper decks more towards the field by cantilevering the second deck over the field level seating.
    Yeah. Though from pictures, I figured that people sitting up there would feel pushed back, but that's not the case. I was able to see the field... nothing more, nothing less, if that makes sense... ie, I couldn't see the stands below me. It's sort of hard to tell from any of the pictures I took, but this should give you some idea (I sat in the bottom upper deck).

As opposed to someplace like Shea, where in certain areas you're pushed back so far you can see the seating areas underneath you.

So, they couldn't simply just push forward the second deck... they actually would have to make the upper deck steeper... that's what it is, which I didn't realize until I was there. The upper deck at the other new parks, like CBP and Citi, where there's more of an overhang are steeper than the upper deck at Nationals Park, and I'd assume at the new Yankee Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Pere
    replied
    It's definitely unfortunate that the kids play area is not in view of the field. You really have to leave the game to take the sprouts over there.

On the other hand, the "picnic" tables beyond right field are close enough that you can follow the game somewhat from that area. I'll put up pics from there if nymdan doesn't have some.

Oh, and the clock... is it working now? Keeping correct time?

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    I had been wondering what the situation was with the batter's eye. We never saw them roll any sod there, so I figured they planted grass seeds... but it still didn't look like grass on TV and in pictures. Well, here's why... it's not grass. They planted some sort of evergreens there, instead of the grass that was in the renderings.
    It's grass like your average lawn...they chose to seed it rather than planting turf so it takes longer to grow out and is uneven, it probably won't fully grow in for a while but it will get there eventually.

Leave a comment:

• stlfan
    replied
    Do any other parks have a bench right in the front of the dugout like this?
    I know Busch III does.

I think Nats Park turned out better than I thought and looks like a great place to catch a game. I just wish they would have pushed the upper decks more towards the field by cantilevering the second deck over the field level seating.

Leave a comment:

• J.R.
    replied
    So strange to see empty lower level seating underneath a packed upper deck.

Leave a comment:

• locke40
    replied
    It just seems way too busy to me. The architecture is not pleasing to the eye. I hope NYS turns out much better, but I have some doubts.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied

By the way, the CF scoreboard inexplicably doesn't have the players' batters average on there (at least for most at bats). Sometimes you can look to the ribbon boards attached to the stands for the average, but sometimes even that doesn't even have it.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied

Do any other parks have a bench right in the front of the dugout like this?

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied

Fans filing in the CF gate. Despite the parking garages, the atmosphere is actually pretty nice back there, with all of the fans walking down the street from the Metro.

They actually had a band playing outside the Red Porch, right near the CF gate, which you could hear as you're approaching the park. That was a nice touch.

Kids play area and parking garage

Ugh...

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    More pictures:

Took the shuttle bus from RFK. Wow, what a HUGE stadium that is. You don't get a good perspective on how big it is from pictures.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
    RE your shot of the pen - how close are the fans ? It's not enclosed ? close enough for players to hear your observations of them ?
    This picture should answer your question better than I can with words:

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Nice pics Dan. How were the views of the Capital & Washington Monument from the upper deck? They look closer than I thought they'd be, or maybe you just have a good zoom on your camera.
    JDland always said in describing her pictures that the capitol is more prominent in person... I guess that's a good way to put it. Those pictures were taken with a 12x zoom... so, definitely zoomed in, but not with a crazy telephoto lens or anything. I guess the best idea you can get of the views would be to see the capitol in comparison to things in the ballpark, so...

Here's a picture from the right field side of the upper concourse, right before the split:

And one from my seats, which were basically right underneath the press box on the third base side. The steel you see here is the support for the LF lights.

Leave a comment:

• Lafferty Daniel
    replied
    Nice pics Dan. How were the views of the Capital & Washington Monument from the upper deck? They look closer than I thought they'd be, or maybe you just have a good zoom on your camera.

Leave a comment:

• whoisonit
    replied
    Nice shots nymdan.
    You really gave a good feel of the Park. Can't wait to go. RE your shot of the pen - how close are the fans ? It's not enclosed ? close enough for players to hear your observations of them ?

Leave a comment:

• Great One
    replied
    Beautiful shots posted. Thanks! Looking forward to my trip to the ballpark tommorrow.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X