No announcement yet.

Nationals Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does "The Bill O'Rielly Lookin Out 4 U Park" sound? LOL Damn those $300 seats look good.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DonDownUnder View Post
      How does "The Bill O'Rielly Lookin Out 4 U Park" sound?
      Just don't be surprised when you order the iced tea.

Comment

Tomorrow's episode of "Build it Bigger" on the Discovery channel will be about Nationals Park. This show is an hour long. Should be interesting.

Comment

What I'm really enjoying about the ballpark is the ability to watch the construction via the internet- I'm in Ohio. By the time I actually get to a game there, the place will seem very familiar.

Watching the construction webcam reminds me of something Doris Kearns Goodwin shared in Ken Burns' Baseball miniseries. Growing up in Brooklyn, her father shared with her how when he was a boy, he watched Ebbets Field being built in the early 1910s. He would go by the site regularly and see another little piece of the stadium added on. I just think it's so cool that I can do the same thing from hundreds of miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
            What I'm really enjoying about the ballpark is the ability to watch the construction via the internet- I'm in Ohio. By the time I actually get to a game there, the place will seem very familiar.

Watching the construction webcam reminds me of something Doris Kearns Goodwin shared in Ken Burns' Baseball miniseries. Growing up in Brooklyn, her father shared with her how when he was a boy, he watched Ebbets Field being built in the early 1910s. He would go by the site regularly and see another little piece of the stadium added on. I just think it's so cool that I can do the same thing from hundreds of miles away.
            Both webcams are down at the moment, though.

Supposedly they're moving at some point. One to the top of one of the parking garages, one to the press box.

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
              Tomorrow's episode of "Build it Bigger" on the Discovery channel will be about Nationals Park. This show is an hour long. Should be interesting.
              Saw it last night. Very interesting and cool to see the place going up.

I was actually shocked at how they have been building it. They we're still designing it as they were building it which was unique and a first in modern venue building.

I know a lot of people have their reservations towards HOK and in which how many of the new parks look, but I have to say that the Nats new park is going to be very nice and very unique. it's really going to mirror the Washington look. From what I have seen so far on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                Saw it last night. Very interesting and cool to see the place going up.

I was actually shocked at how they have been building it. They we're still designing it as they were building it which was unique and a first in modern venue building.

I know a lot of people have their reservations towards HOK and in which how many of the new parks look, but I have to say that the Nats new park is going to be very nice and very unique. it's really going to mirror the Washington look. From what I have seen so far on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9.5.
                I just watched it. Very interesting. I think it's going to be aired again--check the listings, I'd definitely recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
                  I just watched it. Very interesting. I think it's going to be aired again--check the listings, I'd definitely recommend it.
                  Saw it last night. Those steel workers are crazy. I still don't like the overall look of the park, but I appreciate the construction workers involved.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                    This website has a webcam that takes pictures on an hourly basis of construction of the new park. For a view of the inside, click on the top button and go to the "centerfield" cam.

http://clarkconstruction.oxblue.com/clarkhuntsmoot/
                    Check out the new angle from the press box. Gives you a good vantage point of the interior of the park.

Comment

I guess the reason I like it is because it doesn't generally fall into the Camden yards look with the old brick facade, but also isn't your prototypical spaceship.

We'll see, like anything some people will love it, others won't.
                      Either way, it will be better then RFK.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                        Check out the new angle from the press box. Gives you a good vantage point of the interior of the park.
                        Nice, finally. I was going through webcam withdrawl. They're supposed to start putting in the turf within the next two weeks or so... this angle will be great to watch that.

Hopefully they'll restart the outfield cam soon, or start up the new one that will be mounted on top of the parking garage.
                        Last edited by nymdan; 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

It's been rumored for a few months now that the Nationals want the Mets to come open up the park and the season on national TV on Sunday, March 30 (not for a whole series, just for that one game. The Mets would then fly to Florida and play a three game series in Florida starting Tuesday April 1.)

The NY Daily News mentioned this again today, so it look like it will probably happen.
                          http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...y.html?ref=rss

Wow. If that happens, I'll definitely try to see if I can go down to DC for that game. Opening Day for the Mets and the opening of a new ballpark? Doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9 View Post
                            They sure love their concession stands because I've noticed that got mentioned alot in the tour. The obvious flaw, of course, is the seating that is styled by HOK. You can tell that upper decks will never be the same and good again as long as HOK keeps making this rubbish. That is just too much of a sacrifice to make if you ask me. I'm not impressed at all. I'm sure it would impress the politicians and lobbysists and the like but that is for the casual fans and the business people who want to make profits.

This park gets praised so much, and I don't think it deserves to be at all. Look at the field again, and you have far away upper deck seats. I can make a better ballpark than that. Some of the most inexeperienced architecture makers can do a better job, too. I still say that the opening building just before the concession stands looks like a post office type of building. Nothing real interesting there that blows you away. Having the suites lined behind the plate intimidates the pitcher a la Tiger Stadium, but I don't think we need that type of impact anymore.

To sum it up, this will be a terrible ballpark. Fans are going to get excited about the concession stands and nothing more I believe. The views satisfy nobody. I am hoping that some business goes up against HOK because I have seen what I've already needed to see out of HOK, and HOK just doesn't cut the mustard. We've been due for HOK's arch rival to emerge.

:disbelief:
                            I think this new place looks nice...even though we're only seeing pictures. You're right in one thing...the modern style of baseball stadium design, or any sport's stadium design is, luxury boxes and corporate amenities first...average fans second. What a lot of teams are looking for is corporate revenue from the lease of these boxes and such. With other amenities like exclusive seating directly behind home plate, and press boxes being moved to teams can put exclusive suites in their places, there's no question sports teams cater to the wealthiest fans first, while regular fans like me and you are left further away from the action.

As best as they can, H.O.K. and other architectural firms have to accomodate both the corporate fan and the average fan. The new ballpark in Washington D.C. is no different than any other ballpark in MLB. Even places like Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are becoming more corporate friendly rather than "traditional". The firms are ultimately at the mercy of the team owners, and those owners get what they pay for.
                            Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

Another great batch of interior photos, taken today, were posted on JDland:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium.cfm?tab=no3

Comment

It would be nice to see some features of old Griffith Stadium in this new ballpark.but i am sure its not happining
                                LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X