X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahhmbulance
    replied
    Originally posted by Knick9 View Post
    Please, you relax. I'm just stating the obvious at this point. The large lower bowl seating is exactly what this ballpark is going to have. I just don't like the vibe of this ballpark at all. Personally, I feel like most of this was just slapped on by HOK and the Nationals, which doesn't shock me because of how cheap ballparks have been looking lately. It also isn't helping when the atmosphere feels so isolated and cramped.

Here's what I'm getting to. They didn't have to do this, but they wanted to do this. There's no real presence of the upper deck at all here. I softly say "no thanks" to visiting this ballpark.
    7 days later...you ok there, Chief? Thought you might have blown a valve over an upper deck in a baseball stadium. Super important stuff. I can't speak for the Nationals front office, but i think they'll do alright without your 20 dollars. Not so sure how softly they'd say it though, DC is a rough place sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Knick9
    replied
    Originally posted by Wahhmbulance View Post
    it's been said time and time again by the photographer that it's a fish-eye lens, relax before you burst an artery.
    Please, you relax. I'm just stating the obvious at this point. The large lower bowl seating is exactly what this ballpark is going to have. I just don't like the vibe of this ballpark at all. Personally, I feel like most of this was just slapped on by HOK and the Nationals, which doesn't shock me because of how cheap ballparks have been looking lately. It also isn't helping when the atmosphere feels so isolated and cramped.

Here's what I'm getting to. They didn't have to do this, but they wanted to do this. There's no real presence of the upper deck at all here. I softly say "no thanks" to visiting this ballpark.

Leave a comment:

• Pere
    replied
    Originally posted by FearlessFreep View Post
    In fact, it is because of the current and expected development surrounding the stadium site that the views will be further obscured.
    But development doesn't have to be ugly. True, I've yet to see an attractive parking garage, but parking structures can be hidden behind other kinds of structures. Almost any other kind of building can be built to be attractive, both up close and at a distance. The fact that Americans have become accustomed to much of our cityscapes being nasty, brutal, utilitarian engineering-as-architecture doesn't mean that it's any more acceptable or desirable than it ever was.

There are some urban ballparks for whom the value of the view is the crowd of attractive and distinctive city buildings.

In any event, I don't see how having an unconcealed parking garage prominent in the stadium viewshed can be considered as other than a major failing of vision on the part of the ballpark's design team.
    Last edited by Pere; 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Grission
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Are you paying for it? Why do you care how much it is?
    Every NYC taxpayer is paying for it-along with paying for free valet parking and a new parking garage for 400 Yankee VIPs.

I live in NYC, and I'm a Mets fan- and I sure as hell dont enjoy paying for the opposing team's stadium.

Leave a comment:

• FearlessFreep
    replied
    Originally posted by thechefs2003 View Post
    My point exactly. They had a chance to do it right this time and they kind of blew it. How cool would it have been to watch a game with the Capitol in the background beyond center field. Other than that I think it will be a nice park, I just think it could have been better.:twocents:
    Agreed, but the primary concern for location was encouraging development in a part of the city that can use it, and thus far it's definitely done that. Any amount of development around any site was going to cause the same thing to happen. DC is a unique city in that with little exception, no building is higher than 14 stories; a by-product of a Thomas Jefferson vision that still holds true today. That means that pretty much every building is roughly the same height, and all space is used to maximize efficiency. A WaPost article sums it up well:
    Does the height limit even produce charm? It certainly produces shorter buildings. But by denying developers economies of scale, it forces them to use every cubic inch available, the result being endless blocks of similarly drab and boxy 10-story cubes that make walking around Washington feel like negotiating a rat maze.
    So the neighborhood around the stadium is no different than most of the rest of downtown. And that translates to views of the boxes from the lower levels with the upper decks affording the best views of monuments.

Leave a comment:

• machpost
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    It appears that machpost has answered my question...
    In addition, those garage spots are being sold only to the highest-level premium season ticket holders, so I don't think that anyone without a ticket will even have access to them.

Speaking of which, parking is going to be interesting during the first season, to say the least. Basically, if you aren't a season ticket holder who has opted to buy parking passes for one of the nearby lots controlled by the Nationals, your only real option will be to park at RFK, which is a couple miles away, and take a shuttle. That option is free, though. Most fans will probably arrive by Metro, and more parking will open up over time, as the neighborhood is developed.

Leave a comment:

• thechefs2003
    replied
    Originally posted by FearlessFreep View Post
    And RFK offered spectacular views of the DC Armory and local row housing, so this is certainly an upgrade.
    My point exactly. They had a chance to do it right this time and they kind of blew it. How cool would it have been to watch a game with the Capitol in the background beyond center field. Other than that I think it will be a nice park, I just think it could have been better.:twocents:

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied
    Originally posted by CitiFieldIsNoShea View Post
    A gray sterile building kills whatever buzz the cherry trees perched right underneath will give the ballpark...a shame.
    Could be worse:

Leave a comment:

• FearlessFreep
    replied
    Originally posted by thechefs2003 View Post
    My main problem lies with the skyline view. It's Washington DC for pete's sake, but yet it looks like you won't even have a view of the Capitol or the Washington monument, just a parking garage?
    Both the Capitol dome and Washington Monument are visible from the upper decks. As explained earlier, the abomination of the parking garages is a classic example of DC government and stands as a monument to the dysfunction of such.

The stadium location was chosen primarily for economic reasons and not for aesthetics. In fact, it is because of the current and expected development surrounding the stadium site that the views will be further obscured. A trade-off certainly, but one that DC was willing to make. And RFK offered spectacular views of the DC Armory and local row housing, so this is certainly an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Will people be able to walk in from off the street and watch the games from the car park (parking garage) for free?
    It appears that machpost has answered my question...

Originally posted by machpost View Post
    The Nationals still plan on wrapping the garages with signage, so hopefully they won't be too much of an eyesore.

Leave a comment:

• duckydps
    replied
    Will people be able to walk in from off the street and watch the games from the car park (parking garage) for free?
    I am sure they will charge a nice fee to use the parking garage... :twocents:

Leave a comment:

• thechefs2003
    replied
    I actually like the outside design of this stadium, it's different than the typical retro parks they are building everywhere else. At least you'll be able to distinguish it on the outside from the last dozen ballparks that have been built over the years.

My main problem lies with the skyline view. It's Washington DC for pete's sake, but yet it looks like you won't even have a view of the Capitol or the Washington monument, just a parking garage? If this is true, where was the planning when it came to picking a stadium site?

Leave a comment:

• machpost
    replied
    I haven't paid much attention to the construction/design of this ballpark so don't fire me down, but how in the world did architects really find it to be a great idea that a parking garage works into the skyline beyond the outfield wall?

A gray sterile building kills whatever buzz the cherry trees perched right underneath will give the ballpark...a shame.
    You missed all of the fireworks during the initial project discussions inside the D.C. Council concerning those parking garages. The District was required under the stadium agreement to provide a set number of parking spaces at the ballpark. The original plans called for all or at least most of the parking decks to be built underground, or otherwise concealed by an outer shell of ground-level retail and offices/residential units above street level. Such plans would have overrun the funding cap and the structures probably wouldn't have been done on time anyway, so we get those beautiful parking garages, as a result. The Nationals still plan on wrapping the garages with signage, so hopefully they won't be too much of an eyesore.

There are tons of mid-rise buildings either in the planning stage or under construction in that area, so the view of the skyline will change on a monthly basis over the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    http://nats320.blogspot.com/ has their second and third batch of pictures up.

What's with these giant concrete pillars? They take up practically half of the concourse

Leave a comment:

• nymdan
    replied
    I haven't paid much attention to the construction/design of this ballpark so don't fire me down, but how in the world did architects really find it to be a great idea that a parking garage works into the skyline beyond the outfield wall?

In the renderings, the garages aren't as blatant because they have Nationals signs covering them up. I wonder if they're planning on doing that or if that's just for the renderings.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X