Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    I've read message board fodder for years on how gate revenue is split in the pro leagues, but I've never seen the rules clearly defined for public consumption. I think sports owners would like to keep it that way.

I've read several times over the years that NFL owners are required to share gate revenue for general admission seating only, while premium seating such as clubs and suites are exempt. This again ties into the Dolphins and Joe Robbie, the local tv blackout rules, etc.

How the gate $ works in MLB when the Yankees go to Tampa, or KC goes to NY I don't know but I'd love to learn.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    The visiting teams don't get half of the luxury boxes and suites right? Like The Old Ballpark said, they split tickets sold. But for some reason I think that does not apply to the suites.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I will now listen when they say attendance to see if its paid or butts in seats, interesting points.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    There's no right or wrong. It's just more cloudy ways that baseball and other sports run their business. That's all I was saying.

I think in Bill Veeck's autobiography he outlined ways he screwed with attendance numbers. Yeah, it's way out dated, but the reasons why he did it are still relevant today (luxury boxes vs. regualr seats).

Leave a comment:

• The Old Ballpark
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    The stuff I made up came from here.

That said. The term 'tickets sold' means nothing. Teams could 'sell' 1000 tickets for $1 to the school for the blind. Oh, they didn't show? Too bad. But we 'sold' them.

There are numerous other articles all saying the same stuff I made up.
    The article you linked said nothing I didn't say, even to the date the NL switched.

I'm not defending baseball's way of announcing attendance. It is deceptive. But they can't just "make stuff up" as you mistakenly said. They have to document their figures and their totals are used in calculating visitors share of the gate and revenue sharing, so an owner inflating his "tickets sold" number would be costing himself money.

I'm not gonna waste bandwith defending the baseball owners, but you're flat-out wrong.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post

That said. The term 'tickets sold' means nothing.
    Interesting stuff MtH. Towns like Miami and DC are worse about fudging the numbers than places like Boston or Green Bay where the games truly sell out the general admission seating. Funny numbers beginning 25 years ago w/ MLB coincides with my theory about the NFL and Joe Robbie stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Don't know where you get you info but you're wrong. Major league teams announce tickets sold and distributed and have to report those figures to the commissioner's office as part of revenue sharing.

The NL used paying fans in the ballpark for their public attendance figures until the early 90's when the Senior Circuit's rules were changed to match the American League's counting method. In those days, the NL clubs released paid attendance figures also but used paying fans in the ballpark for their official, now historical numbers.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will just make things up on message boards.

That said. The term 'tickets sold' means nothing. Teams could 'sell' 1000 tickets for $1 to the school for the blind. Oh, they didn't show? Too bad. But we 'sold' them.

There are numerous other articles all saying the same stuff I made up.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Oh makes sense, I thought they team loved those stairs or something.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    [QUOTE=Chevy114;2010334]I'm not sure we are on the same page, what I am saying is when I type natioanls park into google images I don't see pictures of the famed staircase. Here is the logo and below is what comes up when you type nationals park into google:

home_logo_address.png

The staircase is in the bottom left center of the logo pic at about 7:00. It looks kind of like an E.

This angle was probably chosen for the logo bc the Capitol building and the Washington Monument can be seen in their somewhat natural positions beyond the stadium. The garages are not featured for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Using other angles of the park would show the boxy parking garages beyond the outfield, or the generic office building look of the 3rd base side.
    I'm not sure we are on the same page, what I am saying is when I type natioanls park into google images I don't see pictures of the famed staircase. Here is the logo and below is what comes up when you type nationals park into google:

home_logo_address.png

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...1E&safe=active

I'm just saying when you google fenway and pnc their landmarks come up real fast. Just interesting is all.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Seems weird that you have that as your stadium logo, but no one else seems to care enough about it to take pics of it, don't you think?
    Using other angles of the park would show the boxy parking garages beyond the outfield, or the generic office building look of the 3rd base side.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    A tour guide at Nats park (take it for what its worth) claimed that the ballpark designers wanted to pay tribute to DC's famous stair cases such as the Lincoln Memorial and the US Capitol Building. Most notably, there's a seldom realized grand staircase behind the Lincoln Memorial which leads down to the Potomac River. This staircase is called The Watergate. It was intended to be a grand entry portal to the city for heads of state and VIPs arriving and leaving town by ship. Unfortunately, a large portion of the staircase was removed when Ohio Dr. was expanded (probably in the 40s or 50s). As a result, the stair case no longer reaches down to the river. The staircase was completed at the height of the railroad era when VIPs were no longer travelling to Washington by ship, so it ended up being a pork barrel project. The stairs remain a popular place for joggers to conduct stair climbing during workouts. The famous Watergate hotel is located about a half mile upriver, and it was named after this staircase.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    This staircase is on the 1st base side where almost nobody enters the park. It serves primarily as the smokers platform where smoking patrons can legally light up.
    Seems weird that you have that as your stadium logo, but no one else seems to car enough about it to take pics of it, don't you think? I mean I can find tons of shots of the green moster, that metal rotondra and yellow bridge at pnc, and mcCovey Cove at Mays ballpark. Just an observation, sad no one uses it but maybe its a good thing with all those steps to climb!

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I think its kind of funny/weird the logo of this park focuses on that big set of stairs on the side, but whenever I google pics of it, thats the hardest angle to find.
    This staircase is on the 1st base side where almost nobody enters the park. It serves primarily as the smokers platform where smoking patrons can legally light up.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I think its kind of funny/weird the logo of this park focuses on that big set of stairs on the side, but whenever I google pics of it, thats the hardest angle to find.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X