No announcement yet.

Nationals Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, Stan has stated several times that they "got the keys" to the park the night before the exhibition game and discovered that there were many things they wanted changed. Before last season they made some at the teams expense. Any minor changes could be done at the teams expense. The White Sox needed a ton of money so they had to wait for a naming rights deal. I would expect more changes once a deal is in place for Nats Park. That being said, I doubt they remove those sections because they remove potential income and it doesn't cost anything to keep them there, just in case. Aesthetically they would be well served by removing them (i.e. low priority)

A second idea would be to extend a small upper LF bleacher from the Red Loft to the cherry trees. This would block the low level view of the garages while leaving the taller bldgs in view. The seats could be linked to the loft by having food/ beverages included.

Another major idea that would never be done is the removal of the football style press box, add seats there and build a new press box under the roof as a one story structure that extends further down the baselines.

Minor change - place a tarp over the CF area next to the batters eye. Those in the upper deck have a lovely view of the excess infield dirt, crushed stone for the warning tracks, an ambulance and other vehicles. It reminds me of the cars parked on the field @ 3 Rivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
      It reminds me of the cars parked on the field @ 3 Rivers.
      I've seen those cars in old NFL Films clips. They looked funny. Were those show vehicles also in 3 Rivers for baseball?

Getting back to Nats Park, I wish they didn't have the upper deck beyond first base, nor do we need the upper half of the upper deck around the infield. I guess they had to make it all proportional to the towering press box.
      Last edited by RfkFedEx; 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Pic #1: As if this place wasn't white enough without the snow.:cap:

Pic #2: Pudge Rod surprised me how short he is. Note that he's standing on an 8 inch platform here. He looks a little deflated from his glory days. I'm not a jock sniffer, but I happened to get the best photo of anyone in the room. I sure as hell wasn't going to stand in line.

Pic #3: Notice the LA Dodgers logo on the arm of seat located in the loge level of RFK. An administrator at Ballparksofbaseaball suspects that these seats were removed from Chavez Ravine sometime in the 80s. The Redskins increased their loge seating at RFK while the Dodgers were reducing their loges in LA.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RfkFedEx; 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Pic #3 - Great find! Wow! It is interesting that so many ballpark parts were sold off to other stadiums back in the day. I had no idea of such a recent such transaction especially in my home ballpark. BTW Griffith Stadium seats were relocated to Tinker Field in Orlando and to Rosecroft Raceway. I'm not sure if any Rosecroft/ griffith seats survive.

Comment

Pic #3 - Great find! Wow! It is interesting that so many ballpark parts were sold off to other stadiums back in the day. I had no idea of such a recent such transaction especially in my home ballpark. BTW Griffith Stadium seats were relocated to Tinker Field in Orlando and to Rosecroft Raceway. I'm not sure if any Rosecroft/ griffith seats survive.
            Notice the front row of the loge seating at RFK is still the original wooden seats from 1961. The LA seats ring the entire second row of the loge level at RFK, so at least 40 rows had to have been removed from Chavez. I'd love to know where they were in DS.

The Nationals claim to have an original seat from Griffith Stadium and it's on display in one of the club levels at Nats Park. Right next to the Griffith seat is a chair which they claim landed a Frank Howard moonshot HR in the 500 level of RFK. The only trouble with this claim is that none of the seats in the upper deck of RFK have/had legs like the one on display. Thus, I have my doubts about the Griffith seat. Wish I had pics

Edit: see below.
            Last edited by RfkFedEx; 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Here's the Frank Howard seat. Couldn't find the Griffith one though
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by droozer View Post
                Here's the Frank Howard seat. Couldn't find the Griffith one though
                Hey thanks Droozer!

Given the pristine condition of the white chair, I suspect it was recently plucked from the original wooden seats which remain in the lower level of RFK today. There are several thousand of these beautifully preserved wooden chairs deep under the overhang, in the 300 level. They are all painted orange today.

True that the Senators used to paint their mammoth homerun seats white, just like the one seen in the pic. However, ALL of those 500 level chairs were either replaced with plastic or painted yellow in the early 80s.

Again, there were no legs on any of the seats in the upper deck of RFK.
                Last edited by RfkFedEx; 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                  Hey thanks Droozer!

Given the pristine condition of the white chair, I suspect it was recently plucked from the original wooden seats which remain in the lower level of RFK today. There are several thousand of these beautifully preserved wooden chairs deep under the overhang, in the 300 level. They are all painted orange today.

True that the Senators used to paint their mammoth homerun seats white, just like the one seen in the pic. However, ALL of those 500 level chairs were either replaced with plastic or painted yellow in the early 80s.

Again, there were no legs on any of the seats in the upper deck of RFK.
                  another lie from washington...
                  the turd in the punchbowl
                  reality really sucks.
                  enjoy the game more...

Comment

• heard great frank howard/ted williams story about the "bomb" chairs...

one day howard was being interviewed on the field during batting practice, the big slugger was explaining the different colored seats in the upper deck to the reporter. manager williams was walking by at this time and chimed in "see all the one's painted the same color? those are for the strikeouts..." end of interview.
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

• I went to the box office at 10:00 this morning to buy opening day tix. I was 10th in line.

As of 10:03 AM there were only single tickets scattered throughout the stadium. The only pairs were $175 per seat diamond clubs. A total joke considering only about 20% of the seating in that place is owned by season or partial plan holders.

I've never had trouble getting opening day tix by going to the box office, aside from 2008 when there were no box office sales for the inaugural game bc the park ticket office was not yet ready in February.

Looks like the Nats have figured out that they can make a lot more $ by consigning their premium games to brokers who fetch a higher market value than face. More power to them, I know I'll find the seats I want for opening day on Craigslist or outside of the park for a much better price than what the brokers will be charging.

Comment

• are you $urprised ?
                        reality really sucks.
                        enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                          are you $urprised ?
                          a small sacrifice for having the best $5 experience MLB has to offer for the other 80 games out of the year.

Comment

• Plenty of seats were snapped up by those with early bird on-line opportunities. I got mine 2 weeks ago. My complaint is they steered you to the more expensive seats when I wanted UD behind the plate. Oh well, I'll be there for the 6th consecutive Opening Day.

Comment

Plenty of seats were snapped up by those with early bird on-line opportunities. I got mine 2 weeks ago. My complaint is they steered you to the more expensive seats when I wanted UD behind the plate. Oh well, I'll be there for the 6th consecutive Opening Day.

Nice! I have the opening day streak alive too. All five years baby!

For this years opener I wanted the $26 (low row) uppers behind home plate, same price as the outfield. But Nooope! Notta.

The Nats used to host promos outside the stadium ticket office on the morning opening day tix went on sale. There was a DJ, free food and prizes, etc. A local tv news crew would show up. Several hundred people waited out at RFK and they all got opening day tix in 2005. It was fun.

I wish they'd set aside enough tix for the brave soles who showed up today. 25 people were there at 10:00 but not too many were smiling at 10:05..

Comment

• Seeing footage from Nationals Park today, I see the text "NATIONALS PARK" on the stone backstop behind home plate. Is this a new addition for 2010?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X