Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    OBP, I respect ur faith in the system for counting attendance, but times have changed. Manipulating the attendance numbers is a modern marketing tactic employed by all sports leagues today. I've studied the sports ticket market for years and I've learned a few things along the way.

IMO fluffing of the numbers began when the Dolphins got a free pass on 'sell out' status shortly after it was learned that the Fins couldn't sell out their club seats at Joe Robbie in the late 80s. Since then, teams have learned to throw around the term 'sold out' as a buzz phrase to increase perception of demand. Fluffing non sell out attendance numbers to be higher than in actuality makes a team's product seem better.
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Old Ballpark
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    It's a crap shoot.

No rules for announcing attendance. Not tickets or fannies, the teams can and do announce whatever they want.

Don't know where you get you info but you're wrong. Major league teams announce tickets sold and distributed and have to report those figures to the commissioner's office as part of revenue sharing.

The NL used paying fans in the ballpark for their public attendance figures until the early 90's when the Senior Circuit's rules were changed to match the American League's counting method. In those days, the NL clubs released paid attendance figures also but used paying fans in the ballpark for their official, now historical numbers.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will just make things up on message boards.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by chip View Post
    I think all the teams report the paid attendance only.
    It's a crap shoot.

No rules for announcing attendance. Not tickets or fannies, the teams can and do announce whatever they want.

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    The plus side to the low attendance is that awesome quality baseball can still be viewed for $5 when you move the lower level infield seats, which are plentiful. This is rarefied air for a baseball fan in this long dormant town. I couldn't be happier about it.
    Hello exactly.

Why I miss Veteran's Stadium in Philly.

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
    looks like I was a tad slow with this.
    Great minds think alike.

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    .............oooooopppppssssss................
    Last edited by chip; 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    not fannies in the seats
    They only care if they got your $$$$
    Who cares if you actually show up?

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by MC EXPOS View Post
    I know that many will say bad things about the Expos, but when Tim Raines was called up for his first game in Montreal, there was a big buzz in this town. That friday night game in which he stole 2 bases had over 55000 in the seats. I know, I know times have changed

Tim Raines' debut was Tuesday, 9/11/79. A doubleheader that drew 33,910. Source: Baseball Reference. BTW he pinch ran and didn't steal any bases. It appears that Rock had to pay his dues as a Spetember call-up in 1979 & 1980 for the most part.

BTW The week following Raines debut, Pittsburgh came into town and Montreal drew 50000+ for 3 weekday games. Pretty amazing! Great pennant race in 1979.

EDIT - looks like I was a tad slow with this.
    Last edited by Smirkman; 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM. Reason: duplicate info but not entirely

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    Originally posted by MC EXPOS View Post
    I know that many will say bad things about the Expos, but when Tim Raines was called up for his first game in Montreal, there was a big buzz in this town. That friday night game in which he stole 2 bases had over 55000 in the seats. I know, I know times have changed
    From what I can gather on the internet…..

Tim Raines made his debut on Tuesday September 11, 1978 in the first game of a doubleheader against the Chicago Cubs.
    He was used as a pinch runner and did not steal a base.
    The attendance for the games was 33,910.

In 1978 the Expose drew 1,427,007 averaging 17,838 per game.
    They were 7th in the league in attendance.

Leave a comment:

• AC/DC2005
    replied
    Understanding the mass psychology that underlies attendance figures is a very challenging endeavor. It depends on the social characteristics of the fan base, alternative entertainment, etc. Fans can be fickle in some cities, such as Washington or Milwaukee, where the Braves were extremely popular when they first arrived in the 1950s and then went out of style in the 1960s. It's great that the Brewers have been drawing big crowds for the past few years, but will it last? Montreal and Chicago are other examples of big ups and downs over the years. I expect the crowds will grow in Washington this summer, and there's no reason the Nationals will be condemned to repeat the disappointments of the past in D.C.

Leave a comment:

• MC EXPOS
    replied
    For Bryce Harper's home debut last Tues, the park was at its usual 15,000. Maybe it was up 2-3000 from a typical Tues night. Harper is only the most highly anticipated prospect to come out of the pipeline since like forever, yet this town barely noticed.

I don't care what attendance numbers the team reports bc they BS every game, with about 25% fluff above the actual number of people to pass through the turnstiles. If the team reports 16,000 seats sold = 12,000 in the park.

Ya ya, I know... the National league counts tickets sold while the American counts turnstile revolutions, either way I don't buy what the Nats report. Same goes for the Redskins.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by chip View Post
    not fannies in the seats

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    The plus side to the low attendance is that awesome quality baseball can still be viewed for $5 when you move the lower level infield seats, which are plentiful. This is rarefied air for a baseball fan in this long dormant town. I couldn't be happier about it.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    I am surprised that fans are not showing up for Harper. He has had the same hype as Strasburg and every game he started since he debuted was sold out and the stadium was packed for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    For Bryce Harper's home debut last Tues, the park was at its usual 15,000. Maybe it was up 2-3000 from a typical Tues night. Harper is only the most highly anticipated prospect to come out of the pipeline since like forever, yet this town barely noticed.

I don't care what attendance numbers the team reports bc they BS every game, with about 25% fluff above the actual number of people to pass through the turnstiles. If the teams reports 16,000 seats sold = 12,000 in the park.

Ya ya, I know... the National league counts tickets sold while the American counts turnstile revolutions, either way I don't buy what the Nats report. Same goes for the Redskins.
    I would say he's the biggest prospect since Strasburg lol

But Seriously it does hurt to know that poeple don't want to get in on the ground floor of this kid.

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X