County Stadium (Milwaukee)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Stadium (Milwaukee)

Another stadium that needs more photos on this site is Milwaukee County Stadium. Unfortunately accessing photobucket type websites is prohibited at my work (where I do most of my posting shhhh), so I'll have to stick with the cumbersome attachment method for pictures.

This shot is from the very first Opening Day in Milwaukee on April 14, 1953 against the Cardinals in front of 34,357. Warren Spahn is warming up in the foreground during the ceremonies. Interesting thing that I didn't know is that pitchers warmed up there before the game unlike the bullpen like they do today. Maybe that explains the additional 2 unused dirt circles adjacent to the on deck circle (Shea Stadium was one) that I used to see at many parks in the 1980's
    Attached Files
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Fans lining up in September 1958 to buy World Series tickets
    Attached Files
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

Milwaukee

This is one stadium that i never made it to but have heard alot of positive feedback about it from people who did go there.
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Photo depicting the locations and distances of Willie May's 4 HR game on 4.30.61 (he had 8 RBI).

The picture that was used for this photo was a generic picture between 1954 and 1960 and not from the day in question. Willie's power barrage was witnessed by 13,114, while the photo is of a packed house.
        Attached Files
        Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

May 15, 1968

Chicago White Sox lined up for ceremonies marking the first of their 20 "Home Games" at County Stadium. This game against the Angels drew 23,510 and is interesting because the teams had played the previous night in Chicago. One would think that they would have played the entire series in Milwaukee rather than a single game.
          Attached Files
          Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Fans lining up in April 1970 to buy Opening Day tickets for the Brewers.

The internet nowadays has erased this fun? sort of lining up for tickets for events.
            Attached Files
            Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

County Stadium B&W aerial from the early 1980's
              Attached Files
              Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

County Stadium color aerial from the early 1980's (not the same photo as the B&W one).

Looks like a charming suburban neighborhood on the other side of the expressway.
                Attached Files
                Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Photo from the Upper Deck behind Home Plate (1960-1965)

I can't really make out the scoreboard to do any research, but I know it's during that time period because the right field upper deck was extended all the way and the outfield bleachers are now one structure instead of the multiple ones before.
                  Attached Files
                  Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Photo from the Upper Deck behind Home Plate (1982 World Series Game 5)

Same vantage point as before but this time at the zenith of the Brewers performance history. It was the largest baseball crowd in Milwaukee history (56,562) and the Brewers would win this game to go up 3 games to 2 before heading to St. Louis. Fans would proceed to storm the field after Game 5 in just raw emotion.

Note: Milwaukee line-ups for both Game 4 and 5 day games were identical. However, Game 4 on Saturday was a 12:20pm Central scheduled First Pitch and Game 5 on Sunday was a 3:45pm Central scheduled First Pitch, thus this picture is of game 5. Stadium clock shows the time as 3:35pm.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by sflnyc; 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM.
                    Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

June 21, 1997

Photo of County Stadium after the effects of a flood in the area which cancelled the Royals-Brewers game. Interesting how the highest part of the playing surface was the infield.
                      Attached Files
                      Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Photo of County Stadium from Wikipedia during a Green Bay Packers game when they still used to play 3 of their home games there. You can see how the baseball diamond compares to the gridiron.

Last edited by sflnyc; 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM.
                        Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

the location wasnt good but this is probably my favorite of the parks that have been since torn down. its just set up better for baseball than any of the others
                          http://peterton.myminicity.com/

Comment

County Stadium was a great place but the one thing I truly hated about it were the numerous obstructed views. Other than that it really was a classic and a great place to see a game, too bad I went in the 90's when the Brewers were the Chicago Bears of baseball at the time. I wish I had taken pictures of the games I went to. Hated the "replay screen" though, it was basically the scoreboard and showed gritty black and white video, couldn't even see the ball.

I often wondered how much it would have cost to renovate County Stadium and replace the upper deck with seats a little farther away from the field but without any obstructed views, a new facade that wasn't that industrial steal paneling, new concourses and facilities, and a video screen. Instead of building a whole new stadium.

Well I guess it was just County Stadium's time.

I'll never forget the last game when they turned off the lights. It was sort of symbolic when they turned off the lights and had Miller in the background.

"So Long old friend!" - Bob Uecker, County Stadiums last game.

Comment

Is it just me, or was county stadium a wrigley in the suburbs? from the pics i have ssen, it looked alot like wrigley
                              Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X