Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum / McAfee C / Network Associates C / UMAX C

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum / McAfee C / Network Associates C / UMAX C

I used to love the way that the "Oakland Alameda County Coliseum" rolled off the tongue. Lot better than Network Associates or McAfee.

Either way, here is a photo of the OACC in 1965 while under construction. The adjacent basketball/hockey arena was also under construction at the same time.
    Attached Files

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Possible final Raiders game was played Christmas Eve. Watched. Field was brutal due to the rain.

11581969_web1_FBN-RAIDERS-122418hf_194.jpg

Anyone know why some grass was like a lighter green? I know the field was sod patched, but the light green areas were not in sod piece sizes. Almost looked like an invasive grass within the grass on the field.

Was thinking that the field crew maybe used one of those sod stitching machines that grafts synthetic turf blades into the sod to help fortify the surface. The turf looked like it was coming up in chunks sometimes but not as bad as I'd expected.

I know the Radiers are in limbo for the 2019 season. With the upper deck of Mt. Davis being permanently covered; think they'd demo the top off? Maybe leave the suites. I can't wait to see the place restored back once the Raiders leave. Is that possible? Or is the place remaining as is with the A's in limbo too?

Leave a comment:

• DiggerODell
    replied
    Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
    It will always be Oakland Alameda County colosseum to me. I wish corporate naming of stadiums would go the way of the dodo.
    I had three homes as a kid from 8-17 . . . 1 my home 2 OAC 3 The Stick. I actually grew up to adore the A's history in Philly and ole Connie Mack . .. and the Giants and theirs at Polo Grounds . . . I've often studied those . . . with no attention to my old home . . . that's merely the way life is. I agree . . . always and forever . . . Oakland Alameda County Colossem with ole Monty Moore spoutin' . .. "Come on down tonight folks to see the swingin' A's . . . and their one million dollar scoreboard which Charlie O put up last week . . ." . . . oh I miss those old days of the A's. My old days, not someone elses.

Leave a comment:

• dwj21792
    replied
    It will always be Oakland Alameda County colosseum to me. I wish corporate naming of stadiums would go the way of the dodo.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
    Anybody heard anything about the prospects of a new park for the A's now that the Traitors have "finally" moved to Las Vegas?
    Nothing that I've seen, but this is the guy to follow for all of your up to date Get the A's Outta the O news and gossip:

Leave a comment:

• DiggerODell
    replied
    Anybody heard anything about the prospects of a new park for the A's now that the Traitors have "finally" moved to Las Vegas?

Leave a comment:

• NickEsasky
    replied
    Originally posted by Kurosawa View Post
    New Yankee Stadium has worst stadium in MLB on perma-lock, partially because it stinks and the rest because as a result of it's existence what was left of the real Yankee Stadium was destroyed.
    Just for clarification, I assume you are referring to he 1974 destruction of "real" Yankee Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Kurosawa
    replied
    Originally posted by tugger View Post
    How many years running is this "The Worst Stadium In MLB"? As many years as the A's have played there.
    New Yankee Stadium has worst stadium in MLB on perma-lock, partially because it stinks and the rest because as a result of it's existence what was left of the real Yankee Stadium was destroyed.

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by tugger View Post
    How many years running is this "The Worst Stadium In MLB"? As many years as the A's have played there.
    ... and the Jays have played at SkyDome.

Because before that...

Leave a comment:

• tugger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wes_kahn
    replied
    My friend singing Anthem at Oakland--she's done it 7 different years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXzs5zKZnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3O9-LaIqbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPNKwjkrRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNx3vTLHPM

Leave a comment:

• wes_kahn
    replied
    Put a replica of Shibe Park in Jack London Square site.

The shorter power alleys and Death Valley in center field will increase both homers and triples, which makes it exciting for lovers of the long ball and of sliding plays at 3b and home plate.

Leave a comment:

• schulzte
    replied
    City of Oakland should tear down Mt. Davis just for spite, let Raiders play without it for 2 years. Athletics don't need it, and Raiders won't either. I can't see the Raiders hanging around for 2 lame duck years.

Leave a comment:

• CHiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    Bad market, bad deals, bad sponsor companies...
    Maybe if newspapers and other media refused to use these sponsor names in their stories, thus providing free advertising, these naming deals would be less valuable and they would go away. Just refer to the venue as A's Stadium or Met's field etc. in the stories.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X