Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Los Angeles Coliseum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Los Angeles Coliseum

    How cool would this be? If this happens, I'm there!

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...ack=crosspromo

    http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...t=.jsp&c_id=la


  • #2
    Nice

    There's also talk that the Dodgers will play a game in Beijing, China next year.

    http://militantangeleno.blogspot.com...-coliseum.html

    Comment


    • #3
      There's one BIG thing that might put a kibosh on this idea. Since the field of the coliseum was lowered and additional permanent seating was added, there's a LOT less room to put in a diamond.

      You can see in this photo the new cream-colored seating installed in the 90s:



      I don't see how they could hope to have a LF line any longer than 200 ft, if that much. And I don't see how MLB, even for an exhibition, would allow this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Elvis View Post
        There's one BIG thing that might put a kibosh on this idea. Since the field of the coliseum was lowered and additional permanent seating was added, there's a LOT less room to put in a diamond.

        You can see in this photo the new cream-colored seating installed in the 90s:



        I don't see how they could hope to have a LF line any longer than 200 ft, if that much. And I don't see how MLB, even for an exhibition, would allow this.

        All the more fun.

        Face it, when was Coliseum baseball ever normal?

        I still want to see it happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Eric Pastore at digitalballparks.com did a pretty good job a couple of years ago similating baseball at the Coliseum by superimposing a diamond on current day photos of the place.

          http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Coliseum.html

          That place is just huge.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PeteU View Post
            Eric Pastore at digitalballparks.com did a pretty good job a couple of years ago similating baseball at the Coliseum by superimposing a diamond on current day photos of the place.

            http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Coliseum.html

            That place is just huge.
            thats cool
            http://peterton.myminicity.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Hopefully it happens. And it could involve the Sox! Who knows, maybe the MLB attendance record could be broken.

              Comment


              • #8
                3rd base will actually be in the stands I believe.
                Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

                www.greystonesbaseball.org

                Comment


                • #9
                  This thread got me thinking about when the Cardinals were putting together plans to build Busch III, they were trying to figure out the best way to transition from Busch II to Busch III. They weren't sure if they wanted to...

                  1) just tear down Busch II after a season and have the Cardinals play in a converted Edward Jones Dome where the Rams play.

                  2) partially tear down Busch II in thw way they did it at Cinergy Field and build the new stadium with the partial Busch II.

                  3) build 75% of Busch III and then in the offseason tear down Busch II and quickly build the remaining 25%.

                  Of course the Cardinals decided on option 3, which I think was the best choice. But it always made me think what it would have been like if they played 2 seasons at the Edward Jones Dome. So I did a couple of diagrams and a photoshop image of what it would have looked like. The layout looks like Dolphins Stadium and the inside reminds me of the Metrodome, but flipped.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Elvis View Post
                    There's one BIG thing that might put a kibosh on this idea. Since the field of the coliseum was lowered and additional permanent seating was added, there's a LOT less room to put in a diamond.

                    You can see in this photo the new cream-colored seating installed in the 90s:



                    I don't see how they could hope to have a LF line any longer than 200 ft, if that much. And I don't see how MLB, even for an exhibition, would allow this.


                    That would be great! Does anyone think that the supposed foul lines would be in the 100's instead of the 200's?
                    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

                    1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

                    2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

                    3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

                    4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

                    5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rosey

                      Uh, oh.

                      If the Brooklynites get wind of this, they may see hint of the Dodgers at Rosevelt Stadium and a chance for the Dodgers to return to a 100,000 seat New Ebbets Field!

                      It's a cool idea.

                      It'd be interesting to see what the cost would be to make the stadium baseball ready.

                      For that matter, if anyone has any information on the process and cost of turning the stadium into a motorcross track or monster truck event I'd be interested to hear.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That would be something interesting to see. Football stadiums having ballgames always seem to disturb me. You just cannot remove your mindset thinking, "THIS IS A BASEBALL FIELD" like when you go to Dolphins Stadium to see the Marlins. It just feels wierd. Its like the stadium is saying, "This place was built for football, but hey, we can try to have baseball"


                        Was looking at the old stadium layouts. Would be interesting to see the Patriots play an exhabition football game at Fenway. Thats if the Red Sox management would go for it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                          This thread got me thinking about when the Cardinals were putting together plans to build Busch III, they were trying to figure out the best way to transition from Busch II to Busch III. They weren't sure if they wanted to...

                          1) just tear down Busch II after a season and have the Cardinals play in a converted Edward Jones Dome where the Rams play.

                          2) partially tear down Busch II in thw way they did it at Cinergy Field and build the new stadium with the partial Busch II.

                          3) build 75% of Busch III and then in the offseason tear down Busch II and quickly build the remaining 25%.

                          Of course the Cardinals decided on option 3, which I think was the best choice. But it always made me think what it would have been like if they played 2 seasons at the Edward Jones Dome. So I did a couple of diagrams and a photoshop image of what it would have looked like. The layout looks like Dolphins Stadium and the inside reminds me of the Metrodome, but flipped.

                          I didn't even know the Edward Jones Dome was considered an option. Interesting.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                            Hopefully it happens. And it could involve the Sox! Who knows, maybe the MLB attendance record could be broken.
                            Red Sox or White Sox?

                            Actually, White Sox would make good sense, given that the 1959 World Series between the Dodgers and White Sox at the Coliseum set the all-time postseason game record of 92,206 in Game 5.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Knick9 View Post


                              That would be great! Does anyone think that the supposed foul lines would be in the 100's instead of the 200's?
                              They could probably angle home plate a little differently and get the left field line close to where it had been 1958-61. Keeping homeplate in the same spot were it was, however, might be a little more challenging.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X