Plant Field & Waterfront Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant Field & Waterfront Park

This is Plant Field at the Tampa Fairgrounds in 1923. Four years earlier April 4 1919 Babe Ruth hit a ball beyond the perimeter of that race track measured at 500+ feet. I think you can still see the track in this picture.
    Attached Files

That's a great shot! Where was this ballpark anyway? I'm trying to figure it out. i know where miller huggins was or is (wasn't really any grandstand there to begin with).

Was there a grandstand in plant field?

eric pastore
    president
    www.digitalballparks.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Old Plant Field is part of the University of Tampa's athletic facilities - kinda. It's now known as Pepin Stadium and the playing field is smaller. When Ruth hit his blast, there were some permanant but rickety-looking stands in place for the old race track (it was mainly used for horse racing, btw).

By the time that photo was taken, a new grandstand had been installed behind home plate. (Actually, it looks like it was snapped from the top row.) That concrete grandstand was torn down and replaced just a few years ago.

The stadium is located just across the Hillsborough River from downtown Tampa. You can see the river in the background of the photo, and across the way are warehouses and such at about the same spot where the main library and performing arts center are today.

Here's a good article from when the old grandstand was about to go down: http://www.sptimes.com/2002/05/01/Ta...andstand.shtml
      Last edited by zengator; 11-30-2007, 06:19 AM. Reason: fixed jumble of words: pre-coffee posting, imo

Comment

"Ed Barrow recognized that for all Ruth's prodigious talents on the mound,
        the Babe could be of more value with his bat. On April 4, 1919, in a spring
        training game at the old fairgrounds in Tampa against John McGraw's Giants,
        Ruth cracked what Barrow called many years later "the longest home run in history." Batting in the second inning against "Columbia George" Smith, so named for the university he had attended--rare was the big leaguer who attended college in those days--Ruth sent a pitch high over the right-center-field wall, far above right fielder Ross Youngs's head, clear out of the fairgrounds and into a neighboring hospital yard. After the game, as Youngs stood where the ball fell, a group of writers watched as somebody dug up a
        surveyor's tape and measured the distance to home plate--579 feet."

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalballparks View Post
          That's a great shot! Where was this ballpark anyway? I'm trying to figure it out. i know where miller huggins was or is (wasn't really any grandstand there to begin with).

eric pastore
          president
          www.digitalballparks.com
          [email protected]
          Well I see we got some help from two other posters and if I find more I will post it. That picture I did post was sent to me from ELMER.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalballparks View Post

eric pastore
            president
            www.digitalballparks.com
            [email protected]

If I read that article in the St. Pete Times correctly the grandstand went up in 1922. They describe it as the 80 year old grandstand and the article is dated 2002.

Comment

I can't believe I missed it by a few years. I had no idea it was still there. I went to Miami and West Palm Beach just in time to find bulldozers tearing down those stadiums. I don't have any luck in Florida. Thanks for the info Zengator and Shoeless Joe.

Eric
              President
              www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                If I read that article in the St. Pete Times correctly the grandstand went up in 1922. They describe it as the 80 year old grandstand and the article is dated 2002.
                Right, there were bleachers at the field before 1922, but not a concrete grandstand.

Comment

So when the Cubs and Senators used it before 1922, it was known as Plant Field and after 1922 it was known as Plant Stadium. Used by the Senators Tigers and Cincinnati Reds.

Eric Pastore
                  President
                  www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

Help finding old tampa parks

I was looking up old parks in the tampa bay area and there are a few I had never heard of. Does anyone have any pictures or stories about these parks:

Sunshine Park (Coffee Pot Park)
                    waterfront park (Is that al lang?)
                    Huggins-Stengel field
                    Naimoli field
                    busch field

Then there is plant field, I have a picture of the plaque from where the field used to be that I took this year when I was on the ut campus, but I don't have any pics of the stadium, do you guys?

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Plant Field

Tampa Florida
                      Attached Files

Comment

Waterfront Park

St Petersburg Florida 1927
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks waterfront looks great, except for the large foul territory.
                          The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Plant Field was through the fence where the track is and on the west side.
                            home plate was in front of the north bleacher exit 30 feet in from the inside edge of the
                            running track. The diamond faced north initially then around 1920 or so faced east, straight
                            across the track.

Old Waterfront home plate was close to 465 feet due North of the current Progress Energy Park home plate.

Huggins - Stengel is between Crescent Lake Drive North and 5th Street North opposite 13th Ave.
                            The diamond is the same now as then.
                            Last edited by elmer; 08-17-2010, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Wow, found a great one here - a young Red Barber calling a Reds' spring training game from Plant Field for WDAE Tampa, almost out of a suitcase! Would be in the 1934-1938 range.

214b93e8-2517-477b-aea7-d3683157f30b_lg.jpeg
                              Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=21079

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                              https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X