Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballparks that defined decades

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ballparks that defined decades

    My friend and I got into an interesting debate last night. We got talking about an all decade team for the 2010s and realized we should pick a ballpark for the decade.

    Then we tried to pick a ballpark for each decade. To be selected the ballpark must a) be new b) had a lot of excitement happen in the decade or c) just something unique tying it up decade. Here’s what we had, but we’d love feedback from the group.

    What did we get right, what did we get wrong and why.

    AL
    1900s - Recreation Park, Philadelphia
    1910s - Comiskey Park, Chicago
    1920s - Yankee Stadium, New York
    1930s - Shibe Park, Philadelphia
    1940s - Fenway Park, Boston
    1950s - Municipal Stadium, Cleveland
    1960s - Memorial Stadium, Baltimore
    1970s - Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City
    1980s - Tiger Stadium, Detroit
    1990s - Jacobs Field, Cleveland
    2000s - Angels Stadium, Anaheim
    2010s - Target Field, Minneapolis

    NL
    1900s - West Side Grounds, Chicago
    1910s - Baker Bowl, Philadelphia
    1920s - ???
    1930s - Polo Grounds, New York
    1940s - Sportsman’s Park, St. Louis
    1950s - Ebbets Field - Brooklyn
    1960s - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
    1970s - Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati
    1980s - Shea Stadium, New York
    1990s - Turner Field, Atlanta
    2000s - PNC Park, Pittsburgh
    2010s - Target Field, Minneapolis




  • #2
    Wow. What an interesting concept! Without hurting my brain too much, I'll offer one alternative (off the top of my head). By your criteria, I can see why you selected Jacobs Field in Cleveland. I would suggest, perhaps, that Oriole Park at Camden Yards, however, was more influential, since that set off the "retro" style of parks that came in the 20+ years afterwards. The Orioles did see some early success in the mid/late 90s on the field, but nothing like Cleveland, of course. Still, in terms of the park's influence outside its own fan base? Camden Yards is the most influential ballpark since the Astrodome.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

    Comment


    • #3
      What is your definition of a ballpark must "be new?" Many of the parks you chose were not new in the decade you chose them. For example, Fenway Park was not new in the 1940s, Ebbets Field and Cleveland Municipal Stadium were not new in the 1950s.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hcorday View Post
        What is your definition of a ballpark must "be new?" Many of the parks you chose were not new in the decade you chose them. For example, Fenway Park was not new in the 1940s, Ebbets Field and Cleveland Municipal Stadium were not new in the 1950s.
        Before I offer my opinion, I suggest the original poster provide brief explanations for why each ballpark was selected as some of the selections don't seem obvious as to why they were made.

        Comment


        • #5
          It doesn’t have to be the decade the ballpark was built. It just has to have some importance to that decade. For example, AT&T Park in San Francisco was built in the 2000s, but I think it’s more tied to this decade because of the 3 titles won by the Giants.

          Shibe Park would be 1930s because of the great A’s teams. 2010s AL would either be Minute Maid Field because of Astros’ success or Target Field because it was built that decade:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WorldBaseballFan View Post
            My friend and I got into an interesting debate last night. We got talking about an all decade team for the 2010s and realized we should pick a ballpark for the decade.

            Then we tried to pick a ballpark for each decade. To be selected the ballpark must a) be new b) had a lot of excitement happen in the decade or c) just something unique tying it up decade. Here’s what we had, but we’d love feedback from the group.

            What did we get right, what did we get wrong and why.

            AL
            1900s - Recreation Park, Philadelphia
            1910s - Comiskey Park, Chicago
            1920s - Yankee Stadium, New York
            1930s - Shibe Park, Philadelphia
            1940s - Fenway Park, Boston
            1950s - Municipal Stadium, Cleveland
            1960s - Memorial Stadium, Baltimore
            1970s - Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City
            1980s - Tiger Stadium, Detroit
            1990s - Jacobs Field, Cleveland
            2000s - Angels Stadium, Anaheim
            2010s - Target Field, Minneapolis

            NL
            1900s - West Side Grounds, Chicago
            1910s - Baker Bowl, Philadelphia
            1920s - ???
            1930s - Polo Grounds, New York
            1940s - Sportsman’s Park, St. Louis
            1950s - Ebbets Field - Brooklyn
            1960s - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
            1970s - Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati
            1980s - Shea Stadium, New York
            1990s - Turner Field, Atlanta
            2000s - PNC Park, Pittsburgh
            2010s - Target Field, Minneapolis


            The “newness” throws off some of your selections .

            I would , personally , tweak the list a bit .

            The 1920’s NL should be Polo Grounds , 4 straight Giants pennants and 3 straight NYC Subway series .

            2010 - Target Field in the NL ?? Yikes .
            I would vote AT&T for 3 Giants WS in 5 years .

            Comment


            • #7
              Definitely biased but for the 1960's NL, I would say the Astrodome due to the artificial turf, roof, air conditioned stadium and giant scoreboard. Dodger Stadium makes sense as well, but I think the "8th Wonder of the World" could have a case for ballpark of the decade.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mandrake View Post

                The “newness” throws off some of your selections .

                I would , personally , tweak the list a bit .

                The 1920’s NL should be Polo Grounds , 4 straight Giants pennants and 3 straight NYC Subway series .

                2010 - Target Field in the NL ?? Yikes .
                I would vote AT&T for 3 Giants WS in 5 years .
                What about the Astordome ,the 8th wonder?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mandrake View Post

                  The “newness” throws off some of your selections .

                  I would , personally , tweak the list a bit .

                  The 1920’s NL should be Polo Grounds , 4 straight Giants pennants and 3 straight NYC Subway series .
                  if the Polo Grounds should be NL in the 1920s, who should be NL in the 1930s? Wrigley?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the 1950s NL should be County Stadium in Milwaukee. This was the kind of park that teams wanted to have. Ebbets Field was the kind of ramshackle park that teams wanted to leave behind.

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X