Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    I'm actually surprised by the similarities between OYS and NYS. It's safe to say and almost ironic that NYS captures the look and feel of OYS more than RYS.

Are you sure??

Let's for a moment forget about the frieze and examine other elements comparing OYS and NYS:

What look and feel of OYS is captured by the overkill-sized TV screen in dead CF surrounded by GIGANTIC ads that also block out the view of the surrounding neighborhood that it is set in? Look at any pre-renovation wide view of the OYS bleachers and then a similar view of the NYS bleachers.

And what about the Mohegan Sun bar plunked down in the middle of the bleachers like a hi-rise condo built smack in the middle of a blue-collar neighborhood?

Or Monument Park (a NYS feature), which evolved from being completely outdoors to now being shoved halfway under the bar and is being referred to as "Monument Cave"?

The field dimensions? Until NYS actually gets a "Death Valley" like configuration in the LF power alley (457ft in OYS, 430ft in 1976 RYS), there is nothing that recalls OYS in NYS. In fact, before RYS started building that second wall from LF to CF cutting the power alley down to 399ft and reducing dead Center from 417ft to 408ft, RYS dimensions DID have more of the OYS feel than NYS, which merely "quotes" the most recent dimensions of RYS.

Finally, OYS' Upper Deck front row was about 50' above the playing field, and overhung about 12 or so rows behind front row of the Field Level . I do not know what the NYS forward Upper Deck front row height above the field is, but it is definitely not 50 feet high, and you can just forget about a comparable front row overhang distance from the Field Level front row.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 05-25-2009, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeesFan View Post
      I've love how the Ballantine sign was lit up on the pre-1959 scoreboard. With the blue "Stadium Favorite" and three rings logo lit in blue. Along with "Ballantine" and "Ale Beer" in red.

I've never seen the 1959-1973 scoreboard in a color photo at night. Does anyone remember how the Ballantine sign lit up on that scoreboard? I believe the "Ballantine" still lit up red, but I don't know about the "It's A Hit" or the three rings logo.

Then I began to think, does anyone remember if and/or how the (1968-1969) American Airlines or the (1970-1973) Marlboro sign lit up?
      From its installation in 1959 until 1966, the "Its a HIT" version of the Ballantine Beer and Ale sign dominated the scoreboard. My brother had seen the words "HIT" light up whenever there was a Yankee hit, but I actually never saw that myself.

There were slight changes in the Ballantine graphics and logo after 1962. The original "Ballantine" ad had a longer crossed "t" with a tiny 3-ring logo dotting the "i", and a larger 3-ring logo against the white background. The letters were lit in red neon and the large logo was lit in blue.

In 1963, "Its a HIT" remained while the rest of the wording was replaced by a cleaner looking font and a white 3-ring logo set against a green/gold shield-like trim. Both letters and logo were now backlit by flourescent lighting with the "Ballantine beer and ale" still in red. (For all of you sharp-eyed baseball movie fans, an interesting bit of historical inaccuracy is depicted in Billy Crystal's 61* where the 1963 Ballantine ad is seen instead of the 1959 ad.)

After Ballantine withdrew sponsorship following the 1966 season, the iconic sign was taken down and the space remained a black expanse throughout the first "refurbished" season in 1967.

In 1968, American Airlines took over the space with their ad, "Fly the American Way.. American Airlines."

That remained until, I believe, 1970 when Marlboro took over. It was originally a red against white sign for the first year and then the familiar white against red until 1973.

Both of those signs were not lit in any fashion during night games throughout their lifespan.

Dennis
      BrooklynDodger14
      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM. Reason: Added reference pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
        Are you sure??
        Let's for a moment forget about the frieze and examine other elements comparing OYS and NYS:

What look and feel OYS is captured by the overkill-sized TV screen in dead CF surrounded by GIGANTIC ads that also block out the view of the surrounding neighborhood that it is set in? Look at any pre-renovation wide view of the OYS bleachers and then a similar view of the NYS bleachers.

And what about the Mohegan Sun bar plunked down in the middle of the bleachers like a hi-rise condo built smack in the middle of a blue-collar neighborhood?

Or Monument Park (a NYS feature), which evolved from being completely outdoors to now being shoved halfway under the bar and is being referred to as "Monument Cave"?

The field dimensions? Until NYS actually gets a "Death Valley" like configuration in the LF power alley (457ft in OYS, 430ft in 1976 RYS), there is nothing that recalls OYS in NYS. In fact, before RYS started building that second wall from LF to CF cuttiing the power alley down to 399ft and reducing dead Center from 417ft to 408ft, RYS dimensions DID have more of the OYS feel then NYS which merely "quotes" the most recent dimensions of RYS.

Finally, OYS' Upper Deck front row was about 50' above the playing field, and overhung about 12 or so rows behind front row of the Field Level . I do not know what the NYS forward Upper Deck front row height above the field is, but it is definitely not 50 feet high, and you can just forget about a comparable front row overhang distance from the Field Level front row.

Dennis
        BrooklynDodger14
        I was talking about and was responding to the post that showed comparison photos of the view from the bleachers at OYS and NYS.

Comment

I'm actually surprised by the similarities between OYS and NYS. It's safe to say and almost ironic that NYS captures the look and feel of OYS more than RYS.
          Yes, they're both in the Bronx, and they have a ballfield in the middle.

Comment

No, I'm not kidding.
            Well than you have issues... the funny thing about your statement is that outside of the frieze, HOK and the Yankees didn't even try to make the interior seating bowl mimic or remotely look like OYS they tried to make it look like a "modernize RYS"..... in other words, they failed all around and it sure as hell doesn't look like OYS. The exterior on the other hand is a disney/vegas reinterpretation of OYS's exterior.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
              Well than you have issues... the funny thing about your statement is that outside of the frieze, HOK and the Yankees didn't even try to make the interior seating bowl mimic or remotely look like OYS they tried to make it look like a "modernize RYS"..... in other words, they failed all around and it sure as hell doesn't look like OYS. The exterior on the other hand is a disney/vegas reinterpretation of OYS's exterior.
              Exactly correct

When Trost and company was selling the new park, he said ' we are bringing back the 1923 limestone facade, just as Babe Ruth saw it in 1923". Whats amazing is people believed him. First off, Yankee Stadiums facade is concrete, not prefab limestone(one can prove this, since they havent destroyed the historical Stadiums facade--- yet), second, its another "interpetation" of the real Yankee Stadiums facade. Anyone can see it looks like the 1923 facade only in that it has arched windows.
              How anyone can think that a 2009 INTERPETATION of Yankee Stadium looks more like Yankee Stadium then Yankee Stadium itself is well...kind of shocking

Comment

• 1959-1973 Yankee Stadium Scoreboard

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                From its installation in 1959 until 1966, the "Its a HIT" version of the Ballantine Beer and Ale sign dominated the scoreboard. My brother had seen the words "HIT" light up whenever there was a Yankee hit, but I actually never saw that myself.

There were slight changes in the Ballantine graphics and logo after 1962. The original "Ballantine" ad had a longer crossed "t" with a tiny 3-ring logo dotting the "i", and a larger 3-ring logo against the white background. The letters were lit with red neon but I'm not sure what color the large logo was lit in.

In 1963, "Its a HIT" remained while the rest of the wording was replaced by a cleaner looking font and a white 3-ring logo set against a green/gold shield-like trim. Both letters and logo were now backlit by flourescent lighting with the "Ballantine beer and ale" still in red.

After Ballantine withdrew sponsorship following the 1966 season, the iconic sign was taken down and the space remained a black expanse throughout the first "refurbished" season in 1967.

In 1968, American Airlines took over the space with their ad, "Fly the American Way.. American Airlines."

That remained until, I believe, 1970 when Marlboro took over. It was originally a red against white sign for the first year and then the familiar white against red until 1973.

Both of those signs were not lit in any fashion during night games throughout their lifespan.

Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14
                Wonderful information on the advertising signage on the OYS scoreboard.

I believe that the same main scoreboard (1959-1973) along with the auxiliary scoreboards had the Yankees team name in red when they were and bat and the visitors name in white.

Then the boards would switch over to the visitors name in red and the Yankees name in white when they came up to bat.

I believe this is the case, however I'm not 100% certain.
                2001 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS

Comment

Does Trost pay you to spout this stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                    Thanks for the lecture/rant but I was referring to that particular photo.
                    Last edited by Rob R; 05-25-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                      Does Trost pay you to spout this stuff?
                      You're in agony, aren't you.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                        Yes, they're both in the Bronx, and they have a ballfield in the middle.
                        All I am saying is that in this particular photo (and yes, the frieze is instrumental), this photo gives you more of a feel of OYS

than this

Last edited by Rob R; 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• It's amazing how easily an imitation frieze can fool those who've never seen the real thing.

Comment

• If you take away the fake frieze, it just looks like any sports arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gylmar View Post
                              Wonderful information on the advertising signage on the OYS scoreboard.

I believe that the same main scoreboard (1959-1973) along with the auxiliary scoreboards had the Yankees team name in red when they were and bat and the visitors name in white.

Then the boards would switch over to the visitors name in red and the Yankees name in white when they came up to bat.

I believe this is the case, however I'm not 100% certain.
                              I know the NY Giants also used the red team name plates. Although I think by the late 60's, at least the NY Giants stopped using the red team names. The Yankees may have too.

Comment

• Rob R, I can fully see the point with the comparison pictures. Of course at some point they would replace RYS. When that day came and we were told it would be patterned more after the old stadium, I was excited. I had been hoping for 35 years that a new YS more like the old one would be built by people who understood OYS's strong points. I'm sure everybody will get used to the new place and this discussion won't be necessary, but you've got to understand, for those of us that spent a lot of time at the old one, this new one doesn't have key features that made the original so special. Love it, hate it or somewhere in the middle, they are two entirely different structures. Sell the new park to people on it's own merits but they can't tell those of us that were there that the two parks compare. OYS was large and imposing, yet at the same time, a very intimate setting with tremendous atomosphere. The acustics were incredible. You think Bob Shepard sounded good in RYS, you should have heard him in OYS! The crowd noise, the shadows and from mosty everywhere I ever sat, you always felt right on top of the action. The close, low walls, the distant high walls, monuments, flagpole and PA system right on the field, they'll just never be anything like it ever again, and that's too bad. Imagine a park nowadays where 50% of the outfield walls were so far from homeplate most players in the league could just forget about hitting it into the seats. It made for some very interesting action, sometimes thrilling and sometimes very frustrating, but always an adventure. This is an opportunity lost, the new stadium, but probably just for a relative few of us. The new stadium is very large, but for a large building with such deversity, there's an awful lot that's not there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X