No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] (1923 - 1973)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it must be from 1928-1933 because you can see the end of the left field frieze (circled) which means that this was after the 28' extension but because there is no bronx county courthouse (built in 1933) in the background it must be before 1933. If I had to guess, it might be from the 1928 Gene Tunney v. Tom Heeney or July 1930 Jack Sharkey v. Max Schmeling heavyweight championship bouts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 05-26-2008, 07:41 PM.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• I don't know if anybody saw this picture yet but it was in the History of the Game threads under Vintage Panoramic Pictures.

Notice the upper deck seating. The first 4 or 5 rows are removable chairs while the rest of the seats above are fixed in place. You know the Yankee Stadium seats that now go for almost $2000 each. Also you can see the "catwalks" that you went out to your upper deck seats. The second level also seems to have removable seats in the first 4 rows.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by cgcoyne2; 05-26-2008, 11:28 PM.
      Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
        I think it must be from 1928-1933 because you can see the end of the left field frieze (circled) which means that this was after the 28' extension but because there is no bronx county courthouse (built in 1933) in the background it must be before 1933. If I had to guess, it might be from the 1928 Gene Tunney v. Tom Heeney or July 1930 Jack Sharkey v. Max Schmeling heavyweight championship bouts.
        Good eye, Gehrig. You're right. I thought that the couthouse was built in the 20's, but I was mistaken.
        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
          I don't know if anybody saw this picture yet but it was in the History of the Game threads under Vintage Panoramic Pictures.

Notice the upper deck seating. The first 4 or 5 rows are removable chairs while the rest of the seats above are fixed in place. You know the Yankee Stadium seats that now go for almost $2000 each. Also you can see the "catwalks" that you went out to your upper deck seats. The second level also seems to have removable seats in the first 4 rows.
          That is one of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen.

Comment

• There appears to be a lot of fog or smog in the picture. I know new york had a bad garbage issue in the 1800s because people would leave trash and bath room remains outside their house without having a garbage or sewer system. Would that have anything to do with that kind of mist?
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Ruth At Bat - 1942(?)

The info I have on this photo is Babe Ruth batting in an Old Timers Game - 8-21-42. SUCH a clear photo for that era! WOW! With only a couple fielders present & a totally empty bleachers .... I'm guessing that this was EITHER an early batting practice (before the doors were opened to the fans) for said Old Timers Day, else maybe this was some photo-op/publicity venture .... & NOT an Old Timers Day appearance by The Babe. The clock reads 12:50PM, so unless they opened the gates late that day(?), I'm guess that this wasn't an Old Timers appearance, but rather some other publicity event .... maybe a WWII photo op using Ruth's image to sell War Bonds, or something like that .....? Not sure. Anyone?
              Attached Files
              ------------------------------------------
              www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
              www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                There appears to be a lot of fog or smog in the picture. I know new york had a bad garbage issue in the 1800s because people would leave trash and bath room remains outside their house without having a garbage or sewer system. Would that have anything to do with that kind of mist?
                I doubt that THAT much smog from garbage would migrate over the stadium and cause that mist, it doesn't even get that bad at Dodger Stadium and LA has the worst smog problem in the US. Probably just the weather that day
                Last edited by Mattingly85MVP; 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                  The info I have on this photo is Babe Ruth batting in an Old Timers Game - 8-21-42. SUCH a clear photo for that era! WOW! With only a couple fielders present & a totally empty bleachers .... I'm guessing that this was EITHER an early batting practice (before the doors were opened to the fans) for said Old Timers Day, else maybe this was some photo-op/publicity venture .... & NOT an Old Timers Day appearance by The Babe. The clock reads 12:50PM, so unless they opened the gates late that day(?), I'm guess that this wasn't an Old Timers appearance, but rather some other publicity event .... maybe a WWII photo op using Ruth's image to sell War Bonds, or something like that .....? Not sure. Anyone?
                  I'm pretty sure this was an exhibition to raise war bonds. It featured Babe Ruth against his old nemesis Walter Johnson. The Babe hit a couple HR's I believe that day.
                  Attached Files
                  Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                    I doubt that THAT much smog from garbage would migrate over the stadium and cause that mist, it doesn't even get that bad at Dodger Stadium and LA has the worst smog problem in the US. Probably just the weather that day
                    Ok just wondering!
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Found this on nycparks.gov
                      Attached Files

Comment

• You've got some short shorts there, for a 1938-1945 era. :blush:

Comment

• Thanks for that never-before-seen pic, Marciano. And Frank, you're right on with the date. Both grandstans extended, but no lights yet. Too bad they couldn't keep the YANKEE STADIUM sign at the gate.
                          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
                            Found this on nycparks.gov
                            Great shot!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                              I don't know if anybody saw this picture yet but it was in the History of the Game threads under Vintage Panoramic Pictures.

And notice the first rows in the lower deck are in actual boxes (and those seats were movable as well). The original "Legends Suites"!

Also, when I see cross-section shots like this, I am amazed that they were able to engineer a way to remove the support columns without the whole place crashing down.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                                Also, when I see cross-section shots like this, I am amazed that they were able to engineer a way to remove the support columns without the whole place crashing down.
                                Amazing isn't it? Basically what they did was to add seats to the back of the tier to help balance it out then those tension cables attached to the tier supports and the main facade help yank the tier back and keep it in balance.

What I'd like to know is, how the hell they managed to get the loge section to cantilever. That thing sticks straight out.

I only hope when the demolition starts, some folks here can get photos of YS's bones before she is buried so we can perform a visual autopsy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X