Worst ballparks of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst ballparks of all time

I want to see your guys opinion on the worst park of all time. I know I will make all the Phillies fans mad here and I used to live in South Jersey but sadly, I have to say Veterans Stadium is the worst of all time. First, it had a turf that accelerated ground balls and created injuries. Second, there was little to no intamancy like there is at Fenway Park where there is no such thing as a bad seat. Third, if it was 80 degrees outside, it felt like a 120 degrees inside the park which made you spend at least $15 on water. The field dimensions looked unatural. Also, every day some part of the stadium was falling apart. In the latter years, the only benefit of going to Veterans Stadium was to start a fight in the 700 level center field. I remember after a certain time, I gave up on attending games there and the only time I would see the Phillies play would be in Baltimore when Interleague Play was still matched by divisions instead of the current floating system similar to the NFL. I do miss Veterans Stadium as a football field but I will never miss it as a baseball field and I now love seeing the pretty sight of seeing Citizens Bank park when I am traving on 95 to go to the airport to go back to Florida when I used to live there or seeing it from the Walt Whitman Bridge (another pretty sight I suggest is before M&T Bank Stadium was built was seeing Oriole Park at Camden Yards immedietly when you got out of the Fort McHenry Tunnel). Now I have been to more than 20 baseball stadiums so I have seen a lot but I games should be played in natural weather instead of "ovens". Once again, I apologize to Phillies fans but I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

I know this will make a lot of Mets' fans mad but I have to vote on Shea Stadium. It just has no personality.

Comment

The Kingdome was a concrete mausoleum. The Metrodome is right behind.

Comment

There's no contest.

The worst park of all time was the L.A. Coliseum.

Yet, it was also oddly fascinating because it was such a bad ballpark for baseball. Unlike places like Riverfront Stadium or Three Rivers Stadium, which were just boringly bad.

That's why I'm so interested in this spring's exhibition game there.

Comment

I personally don't like indoor stadiums in general. The retractable roof ones are okay, except SkyDome (I'm sorry, Rogers Center). I would have to put the Metrodome on top of the worst stadiums currently in use, followed by Rogers Center and Tropicana Field. All time worst, Kingdome, Veterans Stadium, Riverfront, and Three Rivers. I'm sorry, but baseball was not meant to be played on artificial turf.
          2007 WORLD CHAMPIONS

My baseball blog at thepitch.h-team.us. Back after a total redesign.

Comment

What about Candlestick Park? Not the worst, but....
            "The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again."

photobucket: http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/ironman555/ttm/

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...Ip%20and%20GU/

Comment

Riverfront was like watching baseball in a superheated tomb. Great America Ballpark might not distinguish itself much but its miles away from the pit that was once there.
              Author of The Smoking Lounge
              sigpic

Comment

Been down in the bowels of quiet a few minor league stadiums and they were pretty bad.

Metrodome is nice compared to old Metropolitan Stadium. The bugs and mosquitoes could get like they did during the Indian/Yankee playoff game.

Old Comisky was next to the stockyards and had it's own definite odor.

Memorial Stadium in Cleveland was like a funeral parlor. It was originally built in Cleveland's quest to host an Olympic games.

Crosley Field in Cincinnati and Sicks Stadium is Seattle were some of the worst.

Oakland, you need binoculars for the front row seats.

Candlestick, try to see a day game if possible.

RFK is not very good unless you have the expensive seats.

I cannot envision seeing a game at Pro Player or Tropicana Field

Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park, the fans are rude for the most part.

Wrigley is a very pleasant experience.

I saw Veterans Stadium when I flew into Philadelphia and said, "No way".

Busch Stadium was the cleanest I ever went into.

The Astrodome was a first of a kind experience.

The worst however, was the stadium the Houston Colt 45's played in before they moved and became the Astros. It was the home of the Houston Buffaloes of the Texas League before that. The humidity and mosquito's were almost unbearable. If they hadn't of built that dome, I don't think baseball would have survived in the Deep South.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                  What about Candlestick Park? Not the worst, but....
                  Not even close to the worse, unless you hate cold and windy summers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Tyler View Post
                    Out of curiosity, have you ever been to either of these stadiums or are you basing it off of untrue stereotypes?
                    -Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Tyler View Post
                      Been down in the bowels of quiet a few minor league stadiums and they were pretty bad.

Metrodome is nice compared to old Metropolitan Stadium. The bugs and mosquitoes could get like they did during the Indian/Yankee playoff game.

Old Comisky was next to the stockyards and had it's own definite odor.

Memorial Stadium in Cleveland was like a funeral parlor. It was originally built in Cleveland's quest to host an Olympic games.

Crosley Field in Cincinnati and Sicks Stadium is Seattle were some of the worst.

Oakland, you need binoculars for the front row seats.

Candlestick, try to see a day game if possible.

RFK is not very good unless you have the expensive seats.

I cannot envision seeing a game at Pro Player or Tropicana Field

Wrigley is a very pleasant experience.

I saw Veterans Stadium when I flew into Philadelphia and said, "No way".

Busch Stadium was the cleanest I ever went into.

The Astrodome was a first of a kind experience.

The worst however, was the stadium the Houston Colt 45's played in before they moved and became the Astros. It was the home of the Houston Buffaloes of the Texas League before that. The humidity and mosquito's were almost unbearable. If they hadn't of built that dome, I don't think baseball would have survived in the Deep South.

The 2 worst ballparks I've been to are:
                      Shea and Fenway.

Shea just looks really ugly, and I read in the paper once that they never finished building it, and that's why the Jets left.

and I just don't like Fenway at all. When I went, we were on the other side of the stadium from where our gate was, and they made us walk ALL THE WAY AROUND the stadium to the other side so we could go in the right gate. The only stadium I've ever been to where they do that.

PS. Are you Steven Tyler from Aerosmith? That would be really cool if you were. And if you are, you guys gotta do a show at Hammerstein Ballroom and not charge much for tickets.

Comment

The two worst parks that I have seen a game in were Riverfront and The Vet.

And Riverfront was worse. The two had similar sightlines and lack of atmosphere, but Riverfront loses due to it's ridiculous escalator system used to exit the stadium, and the fact that it's outfield seating seemed worse than the Vet. The concourse at Riverfront was also horrible.
                        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                          The 2 worst ballparks I've been to are:
                          Shea and Fenway.

Shea just looks really ugly, and I read in the paper once that they never finished building it, and that's why the Jets left.
                          I'd be interested to see that article. Shea is no treasure, but it's no uglier than the other stadia from the same era (RFK, Atlanta Fulton County, Riverfront etal.) I'd argue that when it is full and the crowd is into the game, there are very few stadiums that rock (not literally) like it does.

I've always thought of the "Shea is unfinished" was just an Urban legend. I have "heard" that the land wouldn't support the weight of a completely enclosed stadium, but I've never been able to find proof.

The Jets moved for a couple of reasons. One main reason is due to the Mets playing at Shea as well from 1968 to 1977 the Jets opened their season like this:

1968 1st 3 games on the road
                          1969 1st 5 games
                          1970 1st 3 games
                          1971 1st 4 games
                          1972 1st 3 games (and 4 of 5)
                          1973 1st 6 games
                          1974 1st 4 games
                          1975 1st 2 games (and 3 of 4)
                          1976 1st 4 games
                          1977 First Home Season Opener since 1964!

Renovations to Shea weren't forthcoming for football and the Meadowlands had been completed so, it was just a matter of time til the Jets left.

On a side note I had kind of hoped that with the Mets building a new park that maybe Shea could have been converted to a full time football stadium and the Jets would come back home.

Comment

Originally posted by reh303 View Post
                            Out of curiosity, have you ever been to either of these stadiums or are you basing it off of untrue stereotypes?
                            I enjoyed the rich history of both stadiums, but the fans that were around me used the standard vulgar language when they saw I supported the opposing team as I had traveled on a road trip to visit the stadiums and see my team play. Got tired of hearing, "F*ckin' A and youse team sucks", amongst others. I realize some of it was intended to be fun, but cut some slack especially when the home team is losing.

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
                              On a side note I had kind of hoped that with the Mets building a new park that maybe Shea could have been converted to a full time football stadium and the Jets would come back home.
                              Sometime after the plans for a new stadium on Manhattan's West Side fell through, the Jets were offered the option of having a brand new stadium built for them in Flushing Meadow Park. The Jets were adamant about not wanting to play in Queens under any circumstances. :dismay:
                              X

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X