The Old Wooden Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2Chance View Post
    Cleveland did the same thing, building a concrete/steel multi-purpose arena in order to capture the Olympics. Unfortunately, LA captured the Olympics and left a monstrosity on Lake Erie with no soul, a lousy place to play or watch baseball.

Shibe was indeed the first thusly constructed for baseball.
    I think the connection between Cleveland Municipal Stadium and the 1932 Olympics is a myth. LA was awarded the games in 1923.... long before the Olympics came there, and 8 years before Cleveland Stadium was built.

There is a thread about it around here somewhere.....
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Oh. What WAS their excuse, then?

------------------------------------------------------
      "That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it."

(Thanks for clearing that up, Stan.)
      "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
      --Bob Feller

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
        I think the connection between Cleveland Municipal Stadium and the 1932 Olympics is a myth. LA was awarded the games in 1923.... long before the Olympics came there, and 8 years before Cleveland Stadium was built.

There is a thread about it around here somewhere.....
        Cleveland Stadium was in fact built with the idea of the city capturing an Olympic bid. I dont believe it was to be for the 1932 games though, as the Stadium didnt get completed until 1931, by which time the LA bid was probably long since granted. LA's successful bid probably meant that America couldnt expect a games for awhile anyway, and the 1940 & 1944 games were of course lost to WWII. By the time the postwar era rolled around, the Stadium had 2 regular sports tenants in the Browns and Indians and the Olympic idea was probably an afterthought by that time.

Comment

Just found another old wooden one today, which will be appearing on the website either next week or the week after, located in Nazareth Pennsylvania. Used by the Nazareth Cement Dusters and Barons (Detroit Tigers Class D) during the late 40s. Worn but still standing thank God.

Eric
          www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

The wooden ballpark in Nazareth is now online. Thanks for your patience!

www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

Thanks, Eric. That was a great story to go with the pictures!
              "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
              --Bob Feller

Comment

Originally posted by elmer View Post
                http://andrewclem.com/Baseball/19thCentury_Leagues.html

books to look for on e-bay: "Diamonds" 'The Evolution of the Ballpark'
                by Michael Gershman, and "Baseball Memories" by Marc Okkonen
                Baseball Memories is a fantastic book- well worth any effort it might take to find it- the ISBN is 0 8069 8728 6

Another outstanding read is "Lost Ballparks" by Lawrence S Ritter, ISBN 0 670 83811 X It covers older ballparks like League Park in Cleveland and Hilltop Park as well as more "modern" stadiums such as Memorial Stadium in Baltimore and Municipal Stadium in Kansas City.

I've had these for years and still enjoy reading them

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalballparks View Post
                  That ballpark you mentioned in Kentucky was Riverside Park and it is brilliant. It is on www.digitalballparks.com along with dozens of other old wooden ballparks. Check out Ontario California for a prehistoric looking facility

I recommend you just click on all ballparks by State and that will give you a complete index of everything on the website.
                  Yep, that's it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

wood stadiums

Waconah Park in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. It's hosted many different affiliated and non-affiliated minor league teams, and presently hosts a team in the New England Collegiate Summer League. Baseball has been played on that site since 1892. It's a great old field - too bad the town keeps trying to build a new ballpark although the residents want to keep the old one.

A great book - Green Cathedrals. It discusses and has entries for every ball park ever to host even one major or negro league game. Fantastic read.

Comment

Northern California (particularly the Bay Area and Napa Valley), has some really nice little wooden ballparks with covered grandstands...

Washington Park, Santa Clara, CA (Thanks to Ballpark Reviews for the pics)

Recreation Park, Healdsburg, CA (Thanks to Ballpark Business for the pics)

Comment

Washington Park in Burlingame, CA is another little wooden gem (Thanks to the City of Burlingame and Baseball Blues for the pics)

Comment

Southern California also has a nice little wooden ballpark...

Jay Littleton Ballpark, Ontario, CA (Thanks to The World on Wheels for the pics)

My favorite website, Digital Ballparks, also has a nice set of Jay Littleton Ballpark pics...

Comment

Very nice pics, CCG. And I too think digitalballparks is an awesome site. A great resource with a lot of research by the Petrones to keep it as accurate and as comprehensive as possible.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Soldiers Home Base Ball Park, Dayton. Ohio

soldiershomefield.jpg
                              Last edited by milladrive; 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM. Reason: Ballpark Name Correction

Comment

Recreation Park, San Francisco, 1920's? Note how small the lower deck is, with the upper deck immediately above, and mostly open to the weather.

c905ef4f-fc06-484c-a769-e1630d54863e_lg.jpeg
                                Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=20566

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                                https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X