Old Spring Training Ballpark Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Spring Training Ballpark Photographs

I'm making my quarterly plea on this forum, for photographs of ballparks that were once used for spring training but no longer exist today.

We will be doing our annual tribute to Spring Training ballparks of today and yesteryear, and need photographs of ballparks such as:
    AL LOPEZ STADIUM Tampa
    PLANT FIELD Tampa
    YUMA BALLPARK Arizona (Old one not Ray Kroc)
    Any of the old Arizona stadiums before renovations
    Terry Park
    West Palm Beach Municipal

We have gotten some terrific photographs of the old Sun City Arizona ballpark that was used for the Milwaukee Brewers before Chandler.

We of course are also seeking photographs of any old baseball park, it doesn't have to be just for Spring Training... it just has to not exist anymore today.

If anyone out there has any photographs of old Minor League or Spring Training ballparks, or even Major League fields like Sportsman's Park, could you please let us know?

We have done our best to make our digital online baseball stadium museum remain free and completely free of advertising, so that you can enjoy it 24/7 without being harrased by annoying pop ups

We just need photographs of the old time stadiums so that we can continue to update the website with ballparks of yesterday. We'll personally get the ones of today.

Thanks everyone.

Eric Pastore
    www.digitalballparks.com
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Digitalballparks; 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM.

I can get a current day shot Plant Park. It hasn't been a spring training site in MANY decades.

Comment

I may be able to find some of Plant Field. Does anyone have any shots of McKechnie Field in Bradenton before it's renovation? Such as the way it looked from the '20s thru say, the '60s? thanks

Comment

[ATTACH]34630[/ATTACH]
        Joe Cronin - Plant Field, Tampa, FLA 1929...You can see a good make up of the grandstand and bleachers behind him
        [ATTACH]34631[/ATTACH]
        Frank McCormick in 1940...you can see part of the white outfield fence of Plant Field in the background
        [ATTACH]34632[/ATTACH]
        Washington coaches Clyde Milan, Nick Altrock, Walter Johnson and Al Schacht in 1929...at Plant Field
        [ATTACH]34633[/ATTACH]
        Sammy Byrd spring training 1935
        [ATTACH]34637[/ATTACH]
        A good overhead shot of Plant Field aprx 1923 during Reds spring training
        Last edited by lollar; 01-24-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Plant Field however no longer has the grandstand it used to have. I need the original grandstand. Lollar, i've seen those before. They are great but the are also corbis and I can't use them. (not without being sued!)... heheh

Eric
          www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

Here is one of my Bradenton Shots pre renovations that I have in my archives. Hope this is what you are looking for lollar

Eric
            www.digitalballparks.com
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes Eric that is it...I haven't seen many good pics of that park before it was renovated....It would be great to see anything you may have...Thanks...love your website BTW.

Comment

This is a picture of present day Richards Field in Waxahachie, TX.

http://www.waxahachieindianbaseball....s_Richards.htm

It is named for former Major League player and manager Paul Richards who was born and raised in Waxahachie. The Detroit Tigers trained there in1917- 1918 when Ty Cobb was still a member of the club. The Cincinnati Reds trained there in 1919.

You will notice the train tracks running down the left field line. Trains will often sit there with their engines loudly idling, while a train coming from the other direction hits a switch to connect to another track, or loudly rumble through. The tracks are also virtually in people's backyards. A little further down the rails in the picture is the switching yard where Sally Field's husband was shot is the movie, "Places in the Heart". Off to the right field line in a city cemetery which is right next to the parking lot. Out beyond the fences is a creek bottom. The field has some unusual foul and dead ball territory. One can only imagine what is was like ninety years ago.

If you're ever in Dallas and have nothing to do, you should drive about forty-five minutes south of the downtown area and see the town. It has very many historic old houses. Some you can even go into. Waxahachie has a very unique town square, as it serves as the county seat of Ellis County.

Comment

1946 Yankees Spring Training in Panama

I bought these snapshots a few years ago but have since sold them but scanned the images.

These are some snapshots of Balboa Stadium in Panama when the Yankees had Spring Training there in 1946.

DiMaggio at home plate

Comment

Bob, These are pretty awesome shots! Thanks for these. We will absolutely use these on the website. I had seen a couple of photographs of Balboa Stadium but none with the Yankees actually playing there. welcome to digitalballparks.com!

Eric
                    President
                    http://www.digitalballparks.com

Comment

I'm getting the Balboa Stadium photographs ready to be used on www.digitalballparks.com 's Spring Training site... We have quite a few of our own already and yours will help to complete an awesome gallery. I need to credit you for these photographs in the gallery. Let me know how you would like your name to appear in the online museum and any other information you'ld like me to say about you or links to any websites that you may have that you want our www.digitalballparks.com fans to know about.

Anyone else out there that has photographs of old Spring Training stadiums or Major or Minor League Stadiums that they would like to contribute to www.digitalballparks.com, please let me know!

Eric
                      President
                      www.digitalballparks.com
                      An online baseball stadium museum featuring over 10,000 photographs of ballparks from around North America!
                      Watch for digitalballparks.com on the History Channel's Modern Marvels throughout this March

Comment

Balboa

Sent you a PM. Thanks

Comment

Eric,

For West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium, you might want to contact the owner of this website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~billy.vii...s/FL/FLIV.html

He may or may not have more photos, but it was the first non-professional photos of WPB Muni Stadium I have come across so far.

Comment

I never saw that shot... thanks for that... It looks like we may be okay though for WPB Muni as Bob Busser will be featured on www.digitalballparks.com for that ballpark and for Terry Park... so thanks for everything!

In the meantime, i'll shift my search to the west coast... I NEED PLANT FIELD AND AL LOPEZ FIELD!!!!! If anyone out there has photographs of either one, please let me know. I have the ones on Corbis thanks to Lollar already. Both of these ballparks were in Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalballparks View Post
                              I never saw that shot... thanks for that... It looks like we may be okay though for WPB Muni as Bob Busser will be featured on www.digitalballparks.com for that ballpark and for Terry Park... so thanks for everything!

In the meantime, i'll shift my search to the west coast... I NEED PLANT FIELD AND AL LOPEZ FIELD!!!!! If anyone out there has photographs of either one, please let me know. I have the ones on Corbis thanks to Lollar already. Both of these ballparks were in Tampa.

Don't know if you aleady have these, but here is two, Al Lopez.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X