George M. Steinbrenner Field / Legends Field - Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George M. Steinbrenner Field / Legends Field - Tampa, FL

I read in the NY Post today that on Feb. 29 the Yankees are going to rename Legend's Field after George. I can't find the link because it was one of those Sport's Shorts.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    I read in the NY Post today that on Feb. 29 the Yankees are going to rename Legend's Field after George. I can't find the link because it was one of those Sport's Shorts.
    Nice. He deserves a stadium named after him. I think they should re-name the street on the other side of the new stadium after him too, cause the street between the current stadium and the new stadium is either named after Jack Rupert or Babe Ruth (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
      Nice. He deserves a stadium named after him. I think they should re-name the street on the other side of the new stadium after him too, cause the street between the current stadium and the new stadium is either named after Jack Rupert or Babe Ruth (I think)
      The street behind the third base stands, between the present stadium and the handball courts, is called Ruppert Place. It was originally named Doughty Avenue; I don't know when it was re-named.

161st Street between River Avenue and Ruppert Place is informally known as Babe Ruth Plaza, and there is some signage to that effect, but I don't think it's an "official" name.
      X

Comment

Boss Field eh?

Not bad...

-Sean

"That God damned Dutchman is the only man in the game I can't scare." -Ty Cobb

Comment

I didn't see that in today's Post. Maybe it was in the online edition. Anyway, I wouldn't name a wiffle ball field after that guy.
          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

From Newsday:

Legends Field to be named after Steinbrenner
            THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
            11:18 PM EST, February 7, 2008

MIAMI - Tampa officials have given their blessing to rename Legends Field in honor of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

Not that they needed to approve the idea, Tampa councilman Charlie Miranda noted Thursday after the council voted unanimously to encourage the christening.

"I think they wanted to make sure there was community support," Miranda said of the team. "I find it an honor to have the opportunity to participate and have it possibly named it after him."

Miranda teamed up with Hillsborough County Commissioner Rose Ferlita in November to push the measure, which the county also passed unanimously this week.

Miranda expects the Yankees to go forward with the naming and officially do it on Feb. 29 at the start of a spring training game against the University of South Florida.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
            https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

I thought they were going to name it after Hank Steinbrenner.
              X

Comment

Can we at least get a Tampa byline in here?

Yankees Win Another One For George
                By ELLEN GEDALIUS The Tampa Tribune
                Published: Feb 8, 2008

TAMPA - Legends Field could be named for George Steinbrenner as soon as the end of the month.

The city council voted unanimously Thursday to encourage the New York Yankees to rename their spring training home after team owner George Steinbrenner.

The county commission made a similar move Wednesday.

The Yankees have the power to rename the field, but it wanted community support before moving forward.

Council members took their turns praising Steinbrenner for his contributions to Tampa.

"We are so grateful for his generosity to this community, it's the least we could do," Councilwoman Linda Saul-Sena said.

Said Chairwoman Gwen Miller: "All you have to do is call him up or write him a letter and he's not going to say no."

Steinbrenner is known for his generosity to Tampa, donating money to the Academy of the Holy Names for an aquatic center, to Little League teams needing new equipment and to numerous other causes. Last year, the school district named a new high school scheduled to open in Lutz after the Yankees' team owner.

The stadium measure was pushed by Commissioner Rose Ferlita and Councilman Charlie Miranda.

A renaming ceremony is tentatively scheduled for Feb. 29.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                  I thought they were going to name it after Hank Steinbrenner.
                  Only if the Red Sox are planning on doing it too.

And in that case, they are willing to pay twice the price for the letters even if they end up flaking off by the All-Star break.

Comment

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to simply put his face on all the ATMs?
                    No, wait...then you'd have to put money into them, rather than taking it out...
                    Last edited by bigtime39; 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM.
                    4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

I say only if they rename the entire training complex the George Costanza Piping Hot Calzone Spring Training Complex.

Comment

Legends Field was such an appropriate name. GMSteinbrenner Field? It stinks. Theres that absentee ownership thing again. I guess he'll have a plaque in Monument Park someday. Oops, I mean George Steinbrenner Park.
                        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                          Legends Field was such an appropriate name. GMSteinbrenner Field? It stinks. Theres that absentee ownership thing again. I guess he'll have a plaque in Monument Park someday. Oops, I mean George Steinbrenner Park.
                          He should get a plaque in Monument Park. Actually, I think he deserves a monument. If not, they should give him the biggest plaque they can fit.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                            He should get a plaque in Monument Park. Actually, I think he deserves a monument. If not, they should give him the biggest plaque they can fit.
                            Unfortunately, there are fans that think like you do. " George just wants to win. He spends a lot of money to bring us a winner. Blah blah blah." Yeah, like all the championships he bought us from 1982-1995, the LONGEST stretch without at least an AL pennant since the early 1900's. If you had lived through all that turmoil, as well as the Bronx Zoo years in the 70's when they won in spite of him, you might feel differently. I don't blame you for feeling like you do, because you've known nothing but success during your time as a Yankee fan, and the old man had mellowed quite a bit by the late 90's. But it wasn't always that way. In another thread someone suggested putting ads in the urinals. If George's face was in there I'd make sure I hit the head every inning.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                              Unfortunately, there are fans that think like you do. " George just wants to win. He spends a lot of money to bring us a winner. Blah blah blah." Yeah, like all the championships he bought us from 1982-1995, the LONGEST stretch without at least an AL pennant since the early 1900's. If you had lived through all that turmoil, as well as the Bronx Zoo years in the 70's when they won in spite of him, you might feel differently. I don't blame you for feeling like you do, because you've known nothing but success during your time as a Yankee fan, and the old man had mellowed quite a bit by the late 90's. But it wasn't always that way. In another thread someone suggested putting ads in the urinals. If George's face was in there I'd make sure I hit the head every inning.
                              I was born in 1983. I was around for the dark days (The 80's (from 1983 on)-the early 90's). What's so bad about Steinbrenner? Obviously, no matter what, theyre gonna put something out there for him. And I hope I'm there that day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X