George M. Steinbrenner Field / Legends Field - Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    I was born in 1983. I was around for the dark days (The 80's (from 1983 on)-the early 90's). What's so bad about Steinbrenner? Obviously, no matter what, theyre gonna put something out there for him. And I hope I'm there that day.
    Fireing countless managers, his putting his ego before the team, selling out the farm system over and over again for over the hill veterens, Signing overpaid crappy free agents that do nothing, paying someone to dig up dirt on a player (Dave Winfield), his general annoying personallity! Those are just some of the things wrong with the Boss! Youu can thank Gene Micheal not george for the last championship run. He is the one that kept Jeter, Mo, Posada ect. When George wasn't allowed to run the Yankees after the Winfield thing. George want to trade all them and Bernie at on time or another, and since he have gotten more control back look what has happened overpaid for over the hill free agents and until recently sold out the Farm System for crappy Veterens!

After saying that I think he will get his day in monument park. For both the good and the bad he has had a profound effect on the New York Yankees. He is one the most famous (or imfamous) owners in sports history. He has become the archetype for the super rich, hot-headed, megalomaniac modern sports owner! I wouldn't be surprised if he is one day in the Hall of Fame. Good or Bad George sure has made his time as Yankee owner very interesting, and just wait his son dosen't that much different.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Best I could do for a George M. Steinbrenner field thread. I'm heading down to Yankees spring training this year for the first time (3/12), does anyone have any suggestions? What's the best way to get autographs? Also, is there free parking anywhere nearby?

Comment

I have been a few times and its not really worth trying to find free parking since its on a very busy road, the regular parking across the street is easiest way to do it. It does require you to go over a bridge above the busy road, so be ready if your afaid of heights like me. The food is good and it's a great atmosphere, I am not a yankee fan so no clue how to get autographs other than come early or stay late and hang out by the dugouts.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
          Best I could do for a George M. Steinbrenner field thread. I'm heading down to Yankees spring training this year for the first time (3/12), does anyone have any suggestions? What's the best way to get autographs? Also, is there free parking anywhere nearby?

Enjoy, and don't forget to take plenty of photos, and then post them here..
          I'm sure you'll take plenty of "great photos"!!
          "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
            I went to spring training in 2009 and 2010. I attended one of the morning work outs and parked in the stadium parking and that was free of charge. The team was using one of the side fields for pitchers and catchers, so you can walk up right to the fence and watch the work outs. Players come up to the fence some times and will sign things. Goose Gossage (great guy) came over to the fence and spent a good 45 minutes signing autographs for everyone.

I also attended a game and parked on the other side of the street next to the Buccaneers Stadium and walked across the bridge.

I found Tampa and GMS field very easy to get around. Very friendly staff also.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll do my best with pictures, I'm only going to one game and I'll be in Orlando the rest of the week, so I'll see what I can do in one day.

Comment

The thing I love about legends is although they don't have open concourses like bright house field in Clearwater, they do have huge concourses that are very open to the backside of the stadium which allows a great spring breeze!
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                  It does require you to go over a bridge above the busy road, so be ready if your afaid of heights like me. .
                  NOW I know why the Howard Franklin is such a barrier for Rays attendance (jk ... couldn't help it)

Comment

Originally posted by NickEsasky View Post
                    NOW I know why the Howard Franklin is such a barrier for Rays attendance (jk ... couldn't help it)
                    lol I won't drive over the Sunshine skyway in all seriousness so move a stadium there and count me out!

Comment

P.S. my first summer job was at lengends working the concession and that is where I learned that people are very particular about their food, which is funny because its a ballpark shouldn't people realize its going to be very universal as far as the food goes?

Comment

Reviving this old thread during spring training because I was watching Yankee highlights tonight, and had no idea that the road behind the stadium was such a major thoroughfare, thought I was watching old Crosley Field highlights. Yankee fans, does that detract from the enjoyment of the game, especially in the right field concourse area? I just came back from the Mets' Tradition Field in Port St Lucie where I go every year, and I thoroughly enjoy the quieter atmosphere, the bucolic berm past the outfield, birds tweeting etc. as I watch the spring games there, and couldn't possibly imagine the enjoyment being the same with cars constantly whizzing by, wondering what others think.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                        Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

did not bother me when I went there a few years back,
                          what I did not like was parking in the dirt by the football stadium
                          and then walking to the baseball stadium

sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's Dale Mabry, one of if not the largest and longest road in Tampa. It goes from the city limits by Lutz in the North all the way to McDill Air Force base that butts against the Bay. It has between 2 and 5 lanes on each side depending on your location. They call it a highway, but don't think of a interstate or express just a big road.

You don't really notice it when you are watching the games. I worked there for the Tampa Yankees when there were 500 people and I still didn't notice from the regular seats, I'm sure the new additions in the outfield or down the 1st base side might be more pron to it, but probably nothing horrible.

tlcoats1-20110829233909.jpg

I more so notice the marshy area behind Left Field
                            2432df5b20267dfff913b89f293fb8c0541ddd97.jpg-590x1000.png
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                              did not bother me when I went there a few years back,
                              what I did not like was parking in the dirt by the football stadium
                              and then walking to the baseball stadium
                              If you have a fear of heights like I do, man that Bridge will test your nerves!

Comment

Do they leave the RF diamond on the auxiliary field in all year? Or is that only during spring training?

With:
                                1mo.jpg

Without:
                                content20header_image.jpg

Or as it's said in Philly, wit or witout.
                                Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X