Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ericlc129 View Post
    YEAH, The 7 class all weekend Prep Bowl. Or as I like to call it; college scout weekend.

Seems strange that they'd put any soccer/football event in a BASEBALL ONLY stadium. Since the sightlines in some areas are bad.
    Sometimes it's just a gimmick, like this summer's "Football at Fenway" between Celtic FC of Scotland and Sporting of Portugal.

(Which also gave us this unusual use of the Green Monster scoreboard)
    Last edited by mjrbaseball; 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM.
    mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Comment

• For a high school event, it could work just fine - you don't need all 65,000 seats at Heinz, and the crowds probably won't be big enough - probably 20,000 - that they can gravitate to the good seats.
      "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

• Old and "new"

Comment

• Originally posted by ericlc129 View Post
          Seems strange that they'd put any soccer/football event in a BASEBALL ONLY stadium. Since the sightlines in some areas are bad.
          Agreed. They spend all that money to build separate baseball and football stadia, there's a reason for that! Keep the two out of each other's turf. It's better that way.

No one wants Three Rivers Stadium II, do they?
          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Angel stadium for high school football.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by AngelFan2002 View Post
              Angel stadium for high school football.
              Pretty close to the original layout... goal posts are shorter, football sideline is closer to the 3rd base line too.

Comment

• Looking at this picture:

Was there a stadium that converted to it's full football seating as easily? Just the right field stands pulled out. No temporary stands set up. No rotating sections or large sections of dirt on the football field (less the infield) like Shea.

Guess Tiger was the easiest.

Think the mound is still in place?
                Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                  Was there a stadium that converted to it's full football seating as easily? Just the right field stands pulled out. No temporary stands set up. No rotating sections or large sections of dirt on the football field (less the infield) like Shea.
                  With the exception of the dirt, Candlestick was pretty much the same way and the Metrodome... and SunlifeJoeRobbieDolphinWhateverit'scalledthisyear Stadium.

Comment

• How awful were the lower level sideline seats at Tiger for football? Darn!

Comment

• Polo grounds and old Cleveland didn't require any additional seating to be added for football. The mound had to be removed in both parks for football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                        Looks like TS must have had open GA seating for first come, first seated in the upper deck of CF. Notice the better sideline seats are empty during the pregame entertainment.

Comment

• By the 60s even those upper deck bleacher seats were reserved. The Lions called that section the Coaches' Corner.

Comment

• I'd say Candlestick was better in football configuration than Anaheim because the retractible seats were closer to the infield endzone. Looking at Anaheim's setup, the angle was more extreme and those seats didn't quite face the gridiron. The only drawback for Candlestick was while in baseball configuration, people in the upper deck in right field had a large portion of right field obstructed due to the close proximity.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Angel Stadium looked absolutely horrid when it was enclosed. Now I know why Dodger Stadium was used in The Naked Gun for an Angels home game...

I know I talk too much about how I hate football being played in baseball parks, but that is one of the reasons why! The concept of a multipurpose stadium inevitably leads to abominations like 80's Angel Stadium, the current Candlestick, the cookie cutters, etc.
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                                I know I talk too much about how I hate football being played in baseball parks, but that is one of the reasons why! The concept of a multipurpose stadium inevitably leads to abominations like 80's Angel Stadium, the current Candlestick, the cookie cutters, etc.

Fortunately there will only be one venue with that problem after tonight.

I'm not going to count the Trop bc there are no football tenants in that joint. Thank God.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X