Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are a few football in baseball stadium pics from my collection. Top to bottom: Rams at Anaheim Stadium; Falcons at Fulton-County; Vikings at The Met; Jets at Shea. Enjoy...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by machpost View Post
      I remember reading sometime last year that the District of Columbia is thinking about hosting a college football bowl game this year, to be called the Congressional Bowl. It would feature one of the service academies, probably Navy, and would most likely be held at Nationals Park. I'm not sure how well its field dimensions would support a regulation gridiron, but I guess it would have a similar configuration as the Emerald Bowl at AT&T Park.

EDIT: Here's the article from the Washington Post.
      Looks like the only way possible to fit in the gridiron would be to have it directly on top of the diamond with one end zone near the backstop and the other near centerfield...
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by HollandsComet View Post
        Here are a few football in baseball stadium pics from my collection. Top to bottom: Rams at Anaheim Stadium; Falcons at Fulton-County; Vikings at The Met; Jets at Shea. Enjoy...
        Sorry, but the one of Shea is a TERRIBLE photoshop job. Take a look at it closer. The same person that did that one did one that I have seen of Yankee Stadium as well.
        sigpic

Comment

• A few quick points

1) Thank you all for posting those photos. It is a treat to see all those once again.

2) What! No Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, or Houston? Please no Seattle though. And where is Montreal?

3) Miller Park: there was talk of bringing a bowl goame to the park. They had the same group that worked with the set up in SF, Pho, and Sea. It was more than feasable as far the field. The problem is when and how do you attract fans to Wisconsin in the middle of winter to watch a bowl game in a stadium with no heat. Opening Day comes in April and it is still warmer at most hockey games than it is for those openers.

4) Old County Stadium was going to be used for the CFL during the expansion south. It was going to be one of the first choices along with Baltimore. The NFL was watching that closely as that was coming close to breaking a deal the two leagues had of not invaiding the other's territory. It all went by the wayside though after it was discovered that the movable bleachers had been cemented in by some geneous in the late 80s.

Comment

• Here are some photos of the Astrodome in football configuration.

The first is the first football game played in the Dome on 9/11/65 between the University of Houston and Tulsa. There is real grass on the field.

The second photo is from around 1968 or 1969 with Astroturf.

The third on shows an Oilers game from around 1992.

The field level seats in the Astrodome would move to parallel for the football field. The gaps on either end of the field would be filled in with temporary seating. Early on the temporary bleacher seating on the east end was the same bleachers used at Colt Stadium before the Astrodome was completed.
            Attached Files

Comment

• This past September Grand Valley State University played a football game at Fifth Third Park, home of the Tigers A affiliate West Michigan Whitecaps.
              Attached Files
              2007 WORLD CHAMPIONS

My baseball blog at thepitch.h-team.us. Back after a total redesign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
                From the 1964 encyclopedia of Football: how to squeeze a football field into baseball parks.
                I have a couple football pics of Yankee Stadium with the Giants practicing. I will try to scan it and get it on the site. Pics are from 1970

Comment

• Here's a picture of Montreal Olympic Stadium with the CFL field on it:

Veterans Stadium

Three Rivers Stadium

The Kingdome

Comment

• Originally posted by Milwaukee T View Post
                    4) Old County Stadium was going to be used for the CFL during the expansion south. It was going to be one of the first choices along with Baltimore. The NFL was watching that closely as that was coming close to breaking a deal the two leagues had of not invaiding the other's territory. It all went by the wayside though after it was discovered that the movable bleachers had been cemented in by some geneous in the late 80s.

I didn't know Milwaukee was being considered for a CFL team, or that the NFL and CFL had a non-compete agreement. I'm surprised that the NFL didn't raise a stink about the CFL in Baltimore with the Redskins just 40 miles south, although to be fair barely anybody in Baltimore rooted for the Redskins between 1984-1996, so I wouldn't see much of a detriment to the Skins. I do know the NFL fought tooth and nail when the Baltimore CFL franchise wanted to call itself the "CFL Colts" thanks to Bob Irsay's insistance to call the Indianpolis NFL Franchise by that name; the Baltimore CFL franchise eventually relented and called itself the Stallions.

Comment

• A satellite image of RFK Stadium in its soccer configuration, which was the same configuration as its football configuration:

A later satelitte image of RFK Stadium as a baseball venue after the Nationals moved in, same orientation:

Comment

• A Touch of the CFL

The CFL and NFL has had the agreement since the the merger of the AFL and CFL. In the early 80s the CFL was talking of bringing a team to New York at which time the NFL "reminded" the CFL how mand Bills fans were in Toronto.

Supposedly the NFL didn't squak about Baltimore because they didn't think it would take. It was only after the Stallions boomed two seasons in a row that it became an issue. Why else would the Browns be able to move and not a word from the league. Despite what many think; Baltimore and DC fans do not root for the other city.

Milwaukee was being considered by the CFL because the Packers had just pulled out and the NHL announced that the Whalers nor an expansion team could come to Milwaukee because it was a Chicago fan base. HA!!! The ideas was that the CFL team would be an instant hit because of that.

Comment

• HollandsCommet... I've seen that Shea picture around before... I think it's Photoshoppped. Look, the stands are in in their diagonal baseball position with other seats added on, and the Keyspan sign is there, which certainly wasn't there when the Jets played there.

Comment

• Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                            Hey hofflalu, looking at the cover photo of what you posted, it looks like the photo is before they put in the double decked grandstand in left field. But it also looks like that they took the temporary bleachers that ran down the 3rd baseline and moved them out to left field for the football configuration. Notice the lack of bleachers down the 3rd baseline in the photo. Can anyone who went to games there around that time confirm this?
                            Yeah, I've always wondered how they changed the bleacher set-up. Not being a bleacher assembly expert, I don't know if it's possible to assemble different bleacher segments into something with more height. Anyone else know what they did in those early years of the Met?

Comment

• Originally posted by nymdan View Post
                              HollandsCommet... I've seen that Shea picture around before... I think it's Photoshoppped. Look, the stands are in in their diagonal baseball position with other seats added on, and the Keyspan sign is there, which certainly wasn't there when the Jets played there.
                              The field level seats are the dead giveaway that it's a fake, simply added on some additional seats but forgot that there were western end zone seats all the way around the outfield...not to mention that there are no orange or blue tiles(removed after the Jets left apparently!)
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                                A satellite image of RFK Stadium in its soccer configuration, which was the same configuration as its football configuration:

A later satelitte image of RFK Stadium as a baseball venue after the Nationals moved in, same orientation:

Considering its relatively intimate dimensions and the fact that it is completely enclosed, I bet it must have been an incredible experience to watch the Redskins play inside a packed RFK Stadium. That had to be one of the loudest, if not the loudest place to see an NFL game. And unlike a lot of the cookie cutters, there wasn't a lot of "foul territory" in the football configuration, so almost everybody was close to the action.

While I've attended dozens of Nationals games there over the past three years, only a handful of those were ever close to selling out. And football seating capacity was about 10,000 more than for baseball.
                                Last edited by machpost; 03-13-2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X