Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League Park, Cleveland, Saturday October 19, 1935, a college tilt between the (now Case) Western Reserve Red Cats (of Cleveland) of the Big Four Conference, and the Baldwin-Wallace Yellow Jackets of Berea, OH. The Red Cats won 27-14 before a capacity crowd. The Reserve went 9-0-1 that season, and Reserve fullback Ray Zeh led all college football in scoring with 112 points.

leaguepark35.jpg

leaguepark35-2.jpg

https://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/di.../id/7181/rec/6
    https://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/di.../id/7182/rec/5
    Last edited by alpineinc; 12-17-2017, 02:40 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Philadelphia Eagles practiced all week at Anaheim before playing the Rams. Word was that if the fires in LA were too bad near the coliseum, that the game would have been moved to the Big A. Rams back at the A?

angels3.png
      maxresdefault.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

• Target Field hosted football in September.

target-field-tommie-johnnie.jpg?w=1500.jpg

Comment

• More coming too. All new baseball "only" stadiums will now be built to host football it seems.

"SunTrust Park in Atlanta announced in early June that it will host a regular season game between Kennesaw State and Jacksonville (AL) in 2018.
          Wrigley Field, which hosted a game in 2010 in which only one end zone was available to be used because of safety concerns in the small ballpark, will try again in 2020."

Curious to see what changes were made to Wrigley. I know they added field seats where the bullpens still should be. Were the dugouts modified? The OF fence is the same I think. How did they gain space to allow room behind the endzone? Maybe layout of field is different this time?

EDIT - Didn't realize that this winter they are rebuilding the lower seating and dugouts at Wrigley. Adding clubs and all under the stands and they are pushing the dugouts further up the line.

Jesus, strike out and have to walk past the base to the dugout. Stinks.
          Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Uni Watch Blog as a good article about the guy that runs the Old Time Baseball Photos account on Twitter. The article concludes with 8 photos of football being played in classic ballparks with a little information about each one.

25911339568_48e95a8219_o.jpg

(Btw, anyone reading this post should look into Uni Watch Blog. Those folks cover the uniform, equipment, and sometimes stadium side of sports in a way that any regular discusser of Ballparks, Stadiums, and Green Diamonds could appreciate.)

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
              Uni Watch Blog as a good article about the guy that runs the Old Time Baseball Photos account on Twitter. The article concludes with 8 photos of football being played in classic ballparks with a little information about each one.

(Btw, anyone reading this post should look into Uni Watch Blog. Those folks cover the uniform, equipment, and sometimes stadium side of sports in a way that any regular discusser of Ballparks, Stadiums, and Green Diamonds could appreciate.)
              The Old Time Baseball Photos twitter is great, and putting us out of business lol. And Paul Lukas of Uni Watch is definitely a kindred spirit - and he's borrowed a few things from this site in the past, but all for the common good, for sure. Both are must follows.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
              https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                Target Field hosted football in September.

target-field-tommie-johnnie.jpg?w=1500.jpg
                Ah yes...
                The St Johns/St Thomas game. 33,000+ attended. Hick Catholics vs City Catholics I have a feeling this will be THE event of the fall throughout the years now.

Comment

• Of all the new stadiums - Target looks the best at hosting football:

tommiesjohnnies.jpg

Comment

• Even in soccer mode - not bad.

1467041315.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post

I was shocked that the trop didn't put up temp bleachers like they did for the final four. Guess no one wants to go to the st. pete bowl that bad.
                      I saw a video once from when the dome opened in 1988. The video noted the different set ups the dome had, one of which had it so the left field outfield seats could be moved in for football//soccer. I don't know if they ever were actually able to move or what.

Comment

• Sounds like the XFL will be killed off again. So with that, what happens to the Texas Rangers old stadium?

I hoped that the XFL made it this time around. More chances for guys to play post college and for the practice squad NFL guys to get game play/ film. Would have only helped the NFL if it could stick around. Oh well. The games were decent and I liked the live feed on tv of the play calls and all.

Dallas-Renegades.jpg?resize=1200%2C675.jpg

Comment

• And just to document the time we're in - I know many stadiums were setup for Covid 19 testing. Hoping that we all look back at this time and say "oh yeah, I remember that" rather than be some kind of new world norm where we live like this for a long time.

I hope not.

EVG2G-EUMAALUSu.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                            Sounds like the XFL will be killed off again. So with that, what happens to the Texas Rangers old stadium?

I hoped that the XFL made it this time around. More chances for guys to play post college and for the practice squad NFL guys to get game play/ film. Would have only helped the NFL if it could stick around. Oh well. The games were decent and I liked the live feed on tv of the play calls and all.

Dallas-Renegades.jpg?resize=1200%2C675.jpg
                            Six Flags had announced that they were moving their corporate headquarters office to the famous centerfield office building that used to house the Rangers' team offices. Not sure what will become of those plans now that the stadium will be pretty much unused.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/b...9-33ec7132bed0

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X