Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballparks in Configuration for Football, Hockey, Boxing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alibi Ike
    Where did they play in between the early 60's and when 3 Rivers was built? Pitt?
    Pitt Stadium 1964-69.

Comment

I know Walt Garrison and he played fullback for the Dallas Cowboys from '66-'74 and one day I asked him if he ever played at Wrigley vs. the Bears and George Halas. Yes, he said. Early in his career the Cowboys played a few games at Wrigley. The one thing he remembered the most playing there was you had to be careful in the back corner of the end zone near the first base dugout. The first base, visitors’ dugout at Wrigley makes a 22 or so degree turn towards right field and because of this it was only a few short feet from the corner of the end zone. He said if you weren't careful you could fall several feet into the dugout and get hurt! I don't know if this ever happened, but I'm sure that eliminated the jump pass to that side of the field when a team was near the goal line.
      Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.

Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.

Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.

Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

Comment

The Vet hosted both Phillies and Eagles games. However, Pac Bell, or whatever its called now, SBC or AT&T has hosted numerous Futbol (soccer) games.

Comment

League Park hosted the Cleveland Rams until the end of the war, I think, when the Rams played at Cleveland Stadium. The Rams were such a lousy draw in Cleveland, that they played some games at a Cleveland high school field.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
            The Vet hosted both Phillies and Eagles games. However, Pac Bell, or whatever its called now, SBC or AT&T has hosted numerous Futbol (soccer) games.
            I think someone mentioned it already, but Pac Bell/SBC/ATT hosts a college football bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug
              Griffith Stadium had character, as I hope the new ballpark will have. RFK was just a place to play football and they can play baseball there too.
              RFK was built primarily for baseball, and the seating arrangement reflects this—look at a seating chart or, better yet, a Google Maps or Google Earth satellite image, and you'll see that the upper level of the stadium is not circular like in most other dual-purpose stadiums, but is shaped for baseball. (The Google satellite views are good because they were taken before RFK was renovated for the Nationals, so the lower level stands are in football/soccer configuration and you get a good idea of why the upper level stands work for baseball but not so well for other sports.) While the stadium is old and lacks much character, the sight lines at RFK for baseball are in general as good as anyone's, except from the outfield seats, which are all upper-level and thus have an obstructed view of the deepest parts of the outfield.
              I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

baltimore's memorial stadium hosted:

baseball
                ml orioles
                international league orioles
                bowie baysox

football
                nfl colts
                nfl ravens
                usfl stars
                cfl stallions

Comment

For many years the annual Army-Notre Dame game was at
                  Yankee Stadium. Also, in their early years the New York
                  Football Giants played at the Polo Grounds and later at
                  Yankee Stadium.

In the 1920s and 1930s Fordham and NYU were football
                  powers and Fordham played big games at the Polo Grounds
                  and NYU at Yankee Stadium.

In 1923, when Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds were
                  tied in for the World Series, the Army-Notr Dame game was
                  held at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn.

Birmingham's Rickwood Field hosted college games until
                  1927 when Legion Field opened.

Brownie31

Comment

Polo Grounds

Originally posted by Brownie31
                    For many years the annual Army-Notre Dame game was at
                    Yankee Stadium. Also, in their early years the New York
                    Football Giants played at the Polo Grounds and later at
                    Yankee Stadium.

In the 1920s and 1930s Fordham and NYU were football
                    powers and Fordham played big games at the Polo Grounds
                    and NYU at Yankee Stadium.

In 1923, when Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds were
                    tied in for the World Series, the Army-Notr Dame game was
                    held at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn.

Birmingham's Rickwood Field hosted college games until
                    1927 when Legion Field opened.

Brownie31
                    Besides the football giants the new york titans(JETS) used the polo grounds from 1960 until 1963 as there home field in the old AFL.
                    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                      Besides the football giants the new york titans(JETS) used the polo grounds from 1960 until 1963 as there home field in the old AFL.
                      Also, St. Louis University and Washington University played
                      football games at Sportsman's Park, while Georgetown, George
                      Washington and Catholic University played at Griffith Stadium.

Before Pitt Stadium opened in 1925, Pitt played at Forbes Field,
                      as did Carnegie Tech and Duquesne.

The Detroit Lions played many years at Briggs/Tiger Stadium. The
                      University of Detroit opened it's own stadium in 1927, but
                      may have played prior to that at Navin Field, but I am not
                      sure of that.

Brownie31
                      Last edited by Brownie31; 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

griffith stadium was lent/rented to many colleges for both football and baseball - being in d.c. navy, army and the marines were big draws

the yankees stupidly scheduled (thinking it wouldn't matter) a football game between Columbia University and Williams College on the October 8, 1904 at Hilltop Park - they were forced to relocate a doubleheader to boston where they dumped both and effectively lost the pennant as boston was up by 1.5 with two to play

Comment

A scene that hasn't occured in decades: Fenway Park in "football" configuration...

Boston University vs. Fordham University
                          Attached Files
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ther other football sport was played at Fenway Park as well, for only one year though...
                            Attached Files
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

For quite a while Fenway has housed football, going back well before the current configuration was laid out...
                              Attached Files
                              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                                Wrigley Field was the home of the Chicago Bears from 1921-70. Fenway Park was home of the Patriots (1963-67) and the Redskins (1933-36).

http://www.BallparkTour.com is an excellent source for these things -- They list not only the baseball tenants of all ballparks, but football and negro league tenants as well.

Comiskey hosted the CChicago ardinals of the NFL, and Tiger Stadium was the Lions home for many years as well -- Just to name a few.
                                When the Bears played at Wrigley Field, temporary, moveable stands were set up in front of the right field bleachers. The field was laid out from the first base stands to the left field bleacher wall. The end zones were flush with the walls, and it was said that they weren't a true 10 yards.

When George Blanda quarterbacked, and place-kicked for the Bears, I remember him kicking off over the bleachers into Waveland Ave.

Bob

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X