Guaranteed Rate Field / U.S. Cellular Field / Comiskey Park [II]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hsnterprize...

It's amazing how some places look so different in person (or in this case by up close photos by people).

Seeing some angles (like the Fan Deck in Post #1) that one doesn't see on TV can do wonders.

I liked both Comiskey-II (original) and Comiskey-II (updated), but I have to say Comiskey-II (updated) is light years better. I should have figured something was up when a few years back when Comiskey-II's capacity dropped from 48,000 to 40,000 and I asked myself why? The during the 2005 Post-Season, I noticed the new roof and said when did that come in ?

My favorite parts of Comiskey-I (through pictures) was the Picnic Area underneath the outfield seats and the centerfield section where they had beach-type showers for fans to cool off during the summer (thanks Mel Allen & This Week In Baseball).

That Fan Deck area and concourse looks absolutely awesome and has already made it on my computer wallpaper collection.
    Last edited by sflnyc; 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM.
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions/[email protected]! View Post
      okay, I'm not going to rain on this love for the Cell too much but I would like to point out one thing that I really, really hate about it. My dad and I returned to the Cell this past summer to catch the last series against the Tigers and on Saturday ended up with seats in the upperdeck. We had a Cubs and Cards fan along with us, and all four of us commented on the fact that the Cell makes upper deck ticket holders feel like second class citizens. You enter the stadium's upper deck from the outside and can not get to the concourse/field level at any point. My father and I like to take photographs of the park, people and field before games but couldn't even go into other upper deck sections without a ticket. Meanwhile, if you're hungry for something to eat or drink that's not the staple hotdog and beer, forget about it. You always hear about how good the food at US Cellular is but they don't sell any of that stuff "upstairs." Curly fries? Nope. Deep dish pizza? Natta. We thought we could get down to the concourse through the kids' play area but... in order to even look through the glass doors to that section you have to have a kid with you. There was a guy standing by the door trying to call his wife on the cell because he went to get some drinks and they wouldn't let him back in where his kid and wife was without having a kid. I felt bad for the usher there because it had to seem like some surreal Joke to inforce that rule on the guy. So yeah, their was some nice improvements made to the park and it looks a lot nicer, just don't get tickets for the balcony... unless you want to know how it feels to be trapped for three hours.
      You aren't raining on anyone, those criticisms are fair. Having season tickets allows you to access the lower level anytime you want, so the issues you talked about don't affect me (except for access to the FUNdamentals deck since I dont have kids ).

If I ever sit next to you at a game I'll trade tickets with you so you can access the lower level and get a piece of pizza and some curly fries! But there are some good eats upstairs too, specifically the corn off the cob (fantastic with all the toppings and the best deal in the park) and the italian beef (wet).
      www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

Comment

I have to say I was impressed with comiskey when I came back this summer...I had been in 96 but did not see a game until this year...the stadium looked completely different in 07 than it did in 96...the roof gave it an older look
        Houston Rockets
        playoffs:1969,75,77,79,80,81,82,85,86,87,88,89,90, 91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2004,05,07,08
        West Champions:81,86,94,95
        NBA Champions:94,95
        Houston Astros
        Playoffs: 1980,86,97,98,99,01,04,05
        NL west champs: 80,86
        NL central champs: 97,98,99,01
        NL Wild Card: 04,05
        NL Champions: 05
        Houston Oilers: AFL champs 1960,61
        Texas Longhorns class of 2012
        Lufkin Panthers div 2 state champs 2001

Comment

I love the fact that the columns are in the aisles, and they really don't obstuct the view of the game drastically, unlike in Fenway Park or Wrigley Field where the columns are in front of rows of seats and that could be a problem. I wish new Yankees Stadium did something like that with the upper deck, that way the frieze could become more prominent, but that's for another thread.

I think soxnut67 posted the best picture, because that shows that the upper deck really isn't that far away as suggested. The picture is taken about half way up the upper deck and the view isn't that much different than at Yankees Stadium, except Yankee Stadium is a bit closer and you can't see a good portion down the right field line. I'll tell you White Sox fans the more and more I see this park, the more i like it, it's grown on me.
          The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
            I love the fact that the columns are in the aisles, and they really don't obstuct the view of the game drastically, unlike in Fenway Park or Wrigley Field where the columns are in front of rows of seats and that could be a problem. I wish new Yankees Stadium did something like that with the upper deck, that way the frieze could become more prominent, but that's for another thread.

I think soxnut67 posted the best picture, because that shows that the upper deck really isn't that far away as suggested. The picture is taken about half way up the upper deck and the view isn't that much different than at Yankees Stadium, except Yankee Stadium is a bit closer and you can't see a good portion down the right field line. I'll tell you White Sox fans the more and more I see this park, the more i like it, it's grown on me.
            Actually, if you look close and pan to the right, soxnut67's picture is taken from the last row in the upper deck. Not too bad a view for the last row.

I absolutley love the columns up there. They add so much and seem to take away so little.
            www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

Comment

Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post
              The center field "Fan Deck", intially put up before the 2002 season. It only had 1 level at first, but another was added before the 2004 season. Fans can have private parties on the deck, and it was recently featured on an episode of Food Network's "Dinner Impossible".
              And tonight's Dinner Impossible, Robert will be in another baseball-related setting--The Mall of America, former site of Metropolitan Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by skobabe8 View Post
                You aren't raining on anyone, those criticisms are fair. Having season tickets allows you to access the lower level anytime you want, so the issues you talked about don't affect me (except for access to the FUNdamentals deck since I dont have kids ).

If I ever sit next to you at a game I'll trade tickets with you so you can access the lower level and get a piece of pizza and some curly fries! But there are some good eats upstairs too, specifically the corn off the cob (fantastic with all the toppings and the best deal in the park) and the italian beef (wet).
                I'm certainly not going to speak for Lions/[email protected]!, and while your gesture is surely appreciated, I think it's obscene when teams create situations like this, where fans have to rely on "connections" or the generosity of others just to be able to walk around different levels of the ballpark.
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Mmmmm...Italian Beef...I've never talked to anybody from outside the Chicago area who even heard of it, and it is just so good. Even better in a beef and sausage combo.

This thread is very interesting to me...I visited the park twice back in the mid '90s and really hated it. It wasn't due to nostalgia, either, I wasn't that fond of the old park. Sounds like I should give the Cell another shot next time I'm in town, though.
                  "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Home Plate Facade...

Here's a better picture of the park's home plate facade. Granted, this entrance is more for the media and some season ticket holders. The fans mainly enter the park either through some entrances along the baselines or in the corners.

But...here's my question. Would you rather have a design like this, or the "popular" red brick facades that are at just about every other park opened since 1992? And we Sox fans "crucified" Jerry Reinsdorf for going cheap on the design at first. Now, I'm thinking the ballpark is better off for NOT going down the "red brick motif" road. Especially since this place...

...is lauded as one of the best ballparks in all of baseball, and I don't see 1 red brick outside.
                    Last edited by hsnterprize; 10-25-2007, 01:04 AM.
                    Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

It would be nice to see from inside the stadium, but...

When you're at the top of one of the entrance ramps outside the ballpark, you can see views of downtown Chicago like this.

We Sox fans acknowledge the ballpark was probably better off facing downtown Chicago. That's something current renovations can't change. However, when this place was first built, the trend of stadia facing the central part of a city wasn't around yet.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

Actually, if you look close and pan to the right, soxnut67's picture is taken from the last row in the upper deck. Not too bad a view for the last row.

I absolutley love the columns up there. They add so much and seem to take away so little.
                        You're right, didn't even notice that. That's a very good view from the last row of the upper deck.
                        The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
                          You're right, didn't even notice that. That's a very good view from the last row of the upper deck.

I think it's pretty good too, so I can't understand why people only trash our upper deck. I've been to PETCO and to me it seemed no different. So what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post
                            When you're at the top of one of the entrance ramps outside the ballpark, you can see views of downtown Chicago like this.

We Sox fans acknowledge the ballpark was probably better off facing downtown Chicago.
                            Was the skyline visible from within the stands of the original Comiskey?
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              Was the skyline visible from within the stands of the original Comiskey?
                              No. Even from the top rows of the upper deck on the 1st base side, you still couldn't see past the upper deck roof in left.

Comment

Yeah, Sox Park is much better than it was in 1993-2003. That place was a dump!

I still don't particularly like it. But it's where my team plays, so...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X