No announcement yet.

Guaranteed Rate Field / U.S. Cellular Field / Comiskey Park [II]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread! Props to hsnterprize for starting this thread, and for the excellent pictures.. :applaud:

I have a few pics I've taken over the years from US Cellular. I'll try to post them later today. ..Have to get busy now uploading these to imageshack.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Pratt View Post
      Sox Park
      Is that just what you call it, or is there some movement in Chicago to call it that, much like "Mays Field" in SF?

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
        Is that just what you call it, or is there some movement in Chicago to call it that, much like "Mays Field" in SF?
        Alot of people in Chicago call it that, especially oldtimers since it was the name of the park in 60s or 70s for a few years. Theres no movement, so to speak.
        www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

Comment

Here's a few photos I took from 2005-2007. The ongoing renovations have made this ballpark look totally different than what it was 5-10 years ago. It's now a beautiful ballpark with character, and a fun place to watch a game!

Easy access via the Red Line from multiple stops in downtown and outlying areas

Brand new forest green seats just installed.. fans waiting for pre-game autographs

Skyline in the background.. I enjoy sitting in the last row and turning around to see the enormous Chicago skyline..

..and then looking back at the field and the lake in the distance. The higher up the better view of the lake with all the sailboats. Notice the Fundamentals Deck is accessible from all levels of the ballpark.. and the bullpen right in front of the left field bleachers.

A closer look at the bullpen.. and Contreras warming up

A view from the upper deck looking down on the different levels of the Fundamentals Deck. Notice the wide outfield concourse, the center field fan deck, and the fans standing along the railing up on the Fundamentals Deck

Looking down on the Fundamentals Deck.. Fans can also watch the game from the narrow concourse behind the mini-diamond, along the railing, if they're not afraid of heights

Skyline in the background.. and the new Comiskey-like canopy which gives the ballpark some character

View from the Upper Deck on a cool evening.. Ahh, Field of Dreams!

More to come...
          Last edited by chisox08; 10-27-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Six more from Game 1 of the 2005 World Series

Comment

Those are great shots! I especially liked the first one, showing the train station nearby, and the "fans in the stands" view of the National Anthem. When you're watching them do the anthem on TV you don't really think about it, but seeing the TV crew right in front of the singer must give those who are actually there, at the game, a sense that this is a made-for-TV production.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

ChiSox08...YOU ROCK!!!!!!! Those are some OUTSTANDING shots of the Cell. Your shots clearly show just how far our favorite ballpark has come over the past few years. I have a couple of ideas on how the scoreboards can be modernized, but I'll save those ideas for another post. Still...your pictures are great...especially the panoramic shot of the field with Jose Contreras pitching to Craig Biggio.

Gary...that CTA Red Line stop has been on 35th Street for decades. It was recently renovated as part of a massive reconstruction effort by the Chicago Transit Authority, or CTA. There are 2 CTA stops people can use to get to White Sox games via train...they can either take the Red Line, which literally runs not only by the Cell to the south of downtown Chicago, but also by Wrigley Field to the north. Or...people can take the CTA's Green Line, and get off at the 35th-IIT-Bronzeville stop, and walk 4 blocks west to the ballpark.

According to Sox brass, another train service is coming soon to U.S. Cellular Field. A long-distance commuter train service here in the Chicagoland area called Metra (short for Metropolitan Rail) is planning on building a stop that allows fans from the far south side of the city and several southern suburbs to go straight to the ballpark from home. We'll know more next season about when that's supposed to be ready...we've been getting conflicting dates recently. Anyway, if you're the kind of person who likes to take public transportation to a baseball game, then U.S. Cellular Field fits that profile.
                Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

Originally posted by skobabe8 View Post
                  Alot of people in Chicago call it that, especially oldtimers since it was the name of the park in 60s or 70s for a few years. Theres no movement, so to speak.
                  There are people who'll call the place Comiskey, "The Cell", "Sox Park", and "White Sox Park". That's just local chat...there are those who don't like the U.S. Cellular Field name, but there isn't any major fan movement to change the name of the place. Even a local radio star, Steve Dahl, tried to get fans to call the place "The Joan" because Joan Cusack does commercials here in town for U.S. Cellular. Obviously, that idea didn't take off.

A lot of us know that if it weren't for U.S. Cellular, New Comiskey Park wouldn't have gotten the renovations it received. And guess what...the C.E.O. of U.S. Cellular, John Rooney (not to be confused with former Sox radio announcer and current St. Louis Cardinals announcer, John Rooney) is a BIG White Sox fan, and he was more than child-like excited when his company and the Sox came to a naming rights deal. There's even a U.S. Cellular store in the lower concourse of the ballpark.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    Those are great shots! I especially liked the first one, showing the train station nearby, and the "fans in the stands" view of the National Anthem. When you're watching them do the anthem on TV you don't really think about it, but seeing the TV crew right in front of the singer must give those who are actually there, at the game, a sense that this is a made-for-TV production.
                    Thanks for the nice comments. In case anyone's interested, the singer for that national anthem was Josh Groban. It was one of the best renditions I've ever heard in person. I remember getting chills seeing everyone in the stadium at their seats, not one empty seat to be found, with the giant flag in the outfield, and Groban belting out the national anthem; it was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post
                      ChiSox08...YOU ROCK!!!!!!! Those are some OUTSTANDING shots of the Cell. Your shots clearly show just how far our favorite ballpark has come over the past few years. I have a couple of ideas on how the scoreboards can be modernized, but I'll save those ideas for another post. Still...your pictures are great...especially the panoramic shot of the field with Jose Contreras pitching to Craig Biggio.

Hey, thanks hsnterprize! I also agree the scoreboard could be more modernized, but that's not high on my priority list of renovations. Personally, I think the Cell is almost as perfect as it will ever be. The only thing keeping me away from a lot of games last year was the Dan Ryan construction, and now that the construction is finished, it won't be a nightmare anymore driving to the games. Now that '07 is behind us.. smooth sailing in '08.

Comment

May 2004

If you told me that my son's first major league game would not be at Shea Stadium when he was born, I would have told you that you were nuts. But, about 6 weeks shy of his 5th birthday, Devin got to go to Chicago with his father (me), his uncle and his grandfather to visit my uncle. Being free on a sunday afternon, we decided to go to see the White Sox. For some reason, I had only taken my son to minor league games and not invested the time to go to NYC or Philly (both about 3 hours from me). So, his first big-league game was at US Cellular, watching the Sox destroy the Twins. A quick note on the picture: you can see the renovations in mid-stride, with a replaced roof, but blue seats.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh lord how much I hate that stadium. The Cell, Turner, and Miller are my 3 most hated stadiums

Comment

Thats really the first time I have seen updated shots of the stadium... I always hated it (was there once back in '92 or '93)... really looks good these days... Great job by the Sox to make it what it shoulda been from the start
                            100 Years is long enough

Comment

Originally posted by PleaseWinAWorldSeriesCubs View Post
                              Oh lord how much I hate that stadium. The Cell, Turner, and Miller are my 3 most hated stadiums
                              I'm not trying to antagonize anything here, but may I ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post
                                I'm not trying to antagonize anything here, but may I ask why?
                                Im guessing from his name that theres no real reason.
                                www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X