Guaranteed Rate Field / U.S. Cellular Field / Comiskey Park [II]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emath2432 View Post
    Thats really the first time I have seen updated shots of the stadium... I always hated it (was there once back in '92 or '93)... really looks good these days... Great job by the Sox to make it what it shoulda been from the start
    Originally posted by skobabe8 View Post
    Im guessing from his name that theres no real reason.
    Please don't assume that all Cubs fans hate the Cell, and love Wrigley. In his case, he may be one of them... I on the other hand would love to blow up Wrigley (it's at least part of the reason we always lose), and the Cell is lookin' pretty good these days...
    100 Years is long enough

Comment

Please don't assume that all Cubs fans hate the Cell, and love Wrigley. In his case, he may be one of them... I on the other hand would love to blow up Wrigley (it's at least part of the reason we always lose), and the Cell is lookin' pretty good these days...
      I dont, believe me. And I can tell that you are a smart fan. Its just curious that a person who loves the Cubs, hates where the Brewers, White Sox, and Braves play without stating a reason other than the Brewers, White Sox, and Braves play there.

I like some aspects of Wrigley, while I dislike others. I'll be happy have a discussion about that anytime.
      www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

Comment

I actually don't care too much for the Brewers, or Braves stadiums either, but there are less important reasons for that...

To be honest, to have a chance to play in any of them, and get paid to do it would be a dream come true... No matter who the team....
        100 Years is long enough

Comment

Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post
          I'm not trying to antagonize anything here, but may I ask why?
          From all the times I've been there, and I've been there 20+ times, I never really felt a good atmosphere when watching a game. The stadium itself seems so bland but when I'm there and watching the game, I just can't find myself interested in whats going on. The only real reason I find myself going now is to either see the Cubs, Red Sox, or Yankees play the Sox. The only other reason is to test out my speed at the pitching thing.

Miller and Turner I hate just for the way the look and the outline. I don't like the Braves or Brewers but I don't hate them. I just really don't like the way everything is set up there and how the stadium as a whole looks.

Wrigley I do indeed love. Sure there a plenty of things wrong with it or things I'd like to see done but I really don't see that happening anytime soon.

And just to add one more thing, my sister designed or was in charge of design(or something along those lines) of the Sox left field wall with all the old players on it.

Comment

ChiSox08: Your photos are great and it's cool to look at a couple of them and know I was in the photo. While it certainly doesn't revive great memories of the game for me (haha) it does remind me of what a great time I had at U.S. Cellular Field and how much nicer it was in person than I thought it would be. I had heard so many detractions from other fans but it was really great to see it for myself. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Here are a few of mine from Games 1 and 2 of the 2005 World Series.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PleaseWinAWorldSeriesCubs View Post
              From all the times I've been there, and I've been there 20+ times, I never really felt a good atmosphere when watching a game. The stadium itself seems so bland but when I'm there and watching the game, I just can't find myself interested in whats going on. (or something along those lines) of the Sox left field wall with all the old players on it.

Actually, I feel the same way about Wrigley. I think it's the most boring place in the world to watch a game. After a few innings I can't wait to leave. But, hey, we all have different tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
                Actually, I feel the same way about Wrigley. I think it's the most boring place in the world to watch a game. After a few innings I can't wait to leave. But, hey, we all have different tastes.
                Why? Because Wrigley doesn't have an interactive area sponsored by Pontiac?

Comment

Hey Astros, I can actually see my silver jacket (just a dot in the crowd) in that last photo. That was a great game to be at. I thought it could go either way, and then Bobby came in and shut em down. I actually sat next to an Astros fan who couldn't have been nicer; huge Astros fan and drove all the way from Houston. Great memories! Thanks for posting those.

Comment

Well this White Sox fan appreciates a Cub fan who can be honest and objective. Thanks for the nice words about the Cell. I respect Wrigley's age and history...let's face it...when you play in a stadium that's over 90 years old, there's bound to be some happenings there from time to time. What bothers me is that (at least the popular perception is) there's the sense that the Cubs' brass seem to care more about preserving the park instead of putting a good team on the field. I was growing up during the times when WGN TV was turning from a local independent station to a national superstation, and I saw for myself the "World's Largest Beer Garden" attitude fester at that place over and over again. I can tell you of countless times when I'd see a large crowd at Wrigley at the start of a game, and half of that crowd leaving after Harry Caray sang the 7th inning stretch. And from what I've seen, heard, experienced, and talk about with Cubs fans and sports media alike...many of the people who attend Wrigley are there for the social status of it. In other words, while there are tons and tons of legitimate Cubs fans here in Chicago and around the country, there are many who'll go to Wrigley because...

A) It's a tourist attraction. Wrigley Field is marketed like a lot of other Chicago-based attractions like the Sears Tower, Navy Pier, and Michigan Avenue. The Cubs' exposure on WGN-TV's Superstation give a lot of transplanted Chicagoans a taste of home every afternoon. That was one of the biggest reasons why so many people from across the country would become Cubs despite their own city having a team.

B) There's no ballpark like it in their hometown. Granted, when other cities' "retro" parks were popping up like tumbleweeds, people appreciated the "real retro" parks like Wrigley and Fenway Park. People come from miles around to see a "classic" ballpark like Wrigley because there's a "retro-looking" place in their city.

C) The neighborhood party scene. There was a time when East Lakeview (the neighborhood that's now known as "Wrigleyville") wasn't as trendy as it is now. But with events starting in the early-80's, from the Cubs' national exposure on WGN's new Superstation, Harry Caray's rise to popularity, to the Cubs' 1984 National League Eastern Division championship, to the gentrification of the surrounding neighborhood, Wrigleyville became "the place to be" for baseball and non-baseball fans alike. That's why so many other teams are building "retro" ballparks with neighborhoods nearby...they want to recreate that Wrigleyville experience in their city. At times, the area can be fun. But, there have been a LOT of situations where crowds, unruly people, and other vices that would turn an otherwise "fun" place to be into a spot to be careful in, if not avoid. I'm not trying to insult any Cubs fans here, but even the most ardent Cubbie lover knows that when there's a lot of drunk people walking around before or after a game at Wrigley, you best be aware of your surroundings.

Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

C) The neighborhood party scene. There was a time when East Lakeview (the neighborhood that's now known as "Wrigleyville") wasn't as trendy as it is now. But with events starting in the early-80's, from the Cubs' national exposure on WGN's new Superstation, Harry Caray's rise to popularity, to the Cubs' 1984 National League Eastern Division championship, to the gentrification of the surrounding neighborhood, Wrigleyville became "the place to be" for baseball and non-baseball fans alike. That's why so many other teams are building "retro" ballparks with neighborhoods nearby...they want to recreate that Wrigleyville experience in their city. At times, the area can be fun. But, there have been a LOT of situations where crowds, unruly people, and other vices that would turn an otherwise "fun" place to be into a spot to be careful in, if not avoid. I'm not trying to insult any Cubs fans here, but even the most ardent Cubbie lover knows that when there's a lot of drunk people walking around before or after a game at Wrigley, you best be aware of your surroundings.

I love Wrigleyville. There are so many good bars and nice little pizza joints in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
                        I love Wrigleyville. There are so many good bars and nice little pizza joints in that area.
                        Bacci's = cheap and good. It's not deep dish, so it's not really chicago, but you can't beat the deal.
                        http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Hmmm...I have a question for PleaseWinAWorldSeriesCubs. Maybe other posters can answer this as well. No funny business, though...I'm being serious.

PWAWSC-you said...

From all the times I've been there, and I've been there 20+ times, I never really felt a good atmosphere when watching a game. The stadium itself seems so bland but when I'm there and watching the game, I just can't find myself interested in whats going on.
                          This is a 2-part question. First, when you say you "never felt a good atmosphere", what exactly do you mean? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here...I'd really like to know. Other than, "it's not like Wrigley", what are you looking for? And secondly, what's going on that you can't get interested in?

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

Well this White Sox fan appreciates a Cub fan who can be honest and objective. Thanks for the nice words about the Cell. I respect Wrigley's age and history...let's face it...when you play in a stadium that's over 90 years old, there's bound to be some happenings there from time to time. What bothers me is that (at least the popular perception is) there's the sense that the Cubs' brass seem to care more about preserving the park instead of putting a good team on the field. I was growing up during the times when WGN TV was turning from a local independent station to a national superstation, and I saw for myself the "World's Largest Beer Garden" attitude fester at that place over and over again. I can tell you of countless times when I'd see a large crowd at Wrigley at the start of a game, and half of that crowd leaving after Harry Caray sang the 7th inning stretch. And from what I've seen, heard, experienced, and talk about with Cubs fans and sports media alike...many of the people who attend Wrigley are there for the social status of it. In other words, while there are tons and tons of legitimate Cubs fans here in Chicago and around the country, there are many who'll go to Wrigley because...

I don't think it's that way as much anymore... People are genuinely into the game these days (check out all the boos that have going on there the past 10 years or so... I never remember much of that 20 years ago, and the team was awful)
                            100 Years is long enough

Comment

Hmmm...I have a question for PleaseWinAWorldSeriesCubs. Maybe other posters can answer this as well. No funny business, though...I'm being serious.

PWAWSC-you said...

This is a 2-part question. First, when you say you "never felt a good atmosphere", what exactly do you mean? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here...I'd really like to know. Other than, "it's not like Wrigley", what are you looking for? And secondly, what's going on that you can't get interested in?
                              What I mean is that I just don't feel like I'm at a baseball game, maybe its because nothings going on in the game, maybe its the fans not really into. I'm not really sure to be honest. Its hard to describe.

Comment

Originally posted by PleaseWinAWorldSeriesCubs View Post
                                What I mean is that I just don't feel like I'm at a baseball game, maybe its because nothings going on in the game, maybe its the fans not really into. I'm not really sure to be honest. Its hard to describe.
                                Okay...that's a fair answer. Once again...I'm not trying to antagonize anyone, and I appreciate your honesty.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X