Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-Fer on 7/23 (How Long Between Yankee and Shea?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-Fer on 7/23 (How Long Between Yankee and Shea?)

Hi --

I'm heading to New York in July. I'll have time for 2 in Yankee Stadium and 1 in Shea for the final year. On July 23rd I have tickets for the 1pm Yankee/Twins game and I'm looking at tickets for the 7pm Mets. How long will it take me to get from Yankee Stadium to Shea? Which train do I take, and how often do they come? I don't know what to expect from the crowds and it's only 1 of 3 times or so that their schedules overlap for home games, let alone a day/night.

I figure I should have plenty of time, but I like to walk all the parks too.

Thanks,
    Doug

It should only take about an hour, 1 1/2 hours tops if you go by train. The stadiums are only 6 miles apart, but you need to take the 4 train into Manhattan and transfer at Grand Central Station for the 7 train to Queens.

If you were driving, it would only take about 10 minutes without traffic.
    Not Mommy, not Daddy.....METSIE, METSIE, METSIE.

Comment

Take the 4 down from Yankee Stadium to Grand Central Station (42nd street), and then take the 7 train to Shea.

It should take you less than an hour to get from the Bronx to Flushing.

Comment

That's a Wednesday so you'll be in rush hour and there will be traffic if you're driving, so that might take up to 45 minutes or even more by car.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
        https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

I actually did that in reverse in 2000 for the first "Two Stadium Doubleheader". (Shea first, then Yankee Stadium) It was an awful day for a Met fan (2 losses, Piazza beaning) but definetly one of my best fan "accomplishments".

The subways are very easy to navigate and exactly as mentioned above. If the Yankee game ends by 4, you should EASILY get to Shea by 5:30/6:00.
          StadiumPage.com
          Stadium Google Map

Comment

Definitely going train, I'm not even renting a car while I'm there. We're staying in the Broadway District so we're close to a station. It's a bummer we'll have to go back to the city, just to go back again. I was hoping there was a more direct route.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Miller View Post
              Hi --

I'm heading to New York in July. I'll have time for 2 in Yankee Stadium and 1 in Shea for the final year. On July 23rd I have tickets for the 1pm Yankee/Twins game and I'm looking at tickets for the 7pm Mets. How long will it take me to get from Yankee Stadium to Shea? Which train do I take, and how often do they come? I don't know what to expect from the crowds and it's only 1 of 3 times or so that their schedules overlap for home games, let alone a day/night.

I figure I should have plenty of time, but I like to walk all the parks too.

Thanks,
              Doug
              From Yankee Stadium, take the elevated train line (the number 4), downtown to Grand Central and then take the 7 train to Flushing - Subways run frequently - With the crowds, it's hard to tell you the exact travel time, but the Yankee game should end by 5 which would give plenty of time

Comment

Here's some advice:

the NYC subway system ain't all that great. So, if the Yankee game goes into extra innings, or is delayed for a long time and isn't over by at least 5:00,
                you should leave early.

Comment

It seems like a pain, but it is well worth it. The subways are the only way to get around the city without too much hassle. It should take about an hour, it just depends on how the trains are running, but I would allow 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                    That's a Wednesday so you'll be in rush hour and there will be traffic if you're driving, so that might take up to 45 minutes or even more by car.
                    By car, it will take you at least an hour to get out of Yankee Stadium and parking will be a nightmare - all of the parking by the highway is practically eliminated - Lon Trost, Yankee Vp said they lost about 700 spots

Comment

out of towner.... sold out day game fans, rush hour commuters, sold out night game fans... yankee stadium construction... yankees to the mets crossover... grand central rush hour... shea stadium construction...

I got two words for ya...

GOOD LUCK.

(walk to the shore, rent a canoe.)

Comment

Not Mommy, not Daddy.....METSIE, METSIE, METSIE.

Comment

Originally posted by Petemc1969 View Post
                          hence my canoe comment for a direct route

Comment

Originally posted by JeepingBaseball View Post
                            hence my canoe comment for a direct route
                            Maybe some enterprising entrepreneur can set up a Met-Yankee private ferry for the day - open bar, etc.
                            baseball_cool_mets_beer.gif

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                            https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                              Maybe some enterprising entrepreneur can set up a Met-Yankee private ferry for the day - open bar, etc.
                              [ATTACH]37974[/ATTACH]
                              Something tells me a fan or two will find themselves overboard.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X