• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheagoodbye1010
    replied
    Extra Seating for Post-Season

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    There were added seats on the field next to dugouts in 86? I miss the wood paneled dugouts.

Yes, there were extra seats added for Post Season Play in 1986. There were Plexiglas encased seats on the inner area part of the dugouts
    There were also an additional 2 rows of seats in front of the permanent seats starting past the field photo cages extending into the deep outfield.
    These seats were apparently constructed in a flimsy manner as I recall the first base retaining wall collapsed when patrons leaned on it reaching for a foul ball during Game 7.
    It did not appear that anyone was seriously injured and the delay put the wall back was brief.
    These temporary seats re-appeared during the 1988 Post-Season.
    Sometime in 1990’s the down the foul-line seating was made permanent for all games. (With suitable permanent railing etc)

Leave a comment:

• The Monument
    replied
    The arm-twister was actually more of an arm-roller, and she was more distracting to the viewer than to the opposing pitcher. The only time I saw her was in '86 when the guys at work watched the mets and I had no choice. I thought her act was idiotic.

Leave a comment:

• SteveJRogers
    replied
    Originally posted by OBomb View Post
    One of the articles mentioned someone called her conduct 'unsportsmanlike?' She's far less distracting rolling her arms than Marlins guy is sitting behind home plate at Kauffman Stadium. The streaming toilet paper falling down behind home plate was far more distracting. If anything, she was a novelty to Shea Stadium.
    Marlins guy is a distraction to you?

Yeah, he is obnoxious with being omnipresent due to his wealth and clear lack of allegiance to the teams playing, but I haven't noticed him actively doing anything that could be described as distracting to a player, or viewer.

Leave a comment:

• OBomb
    replied
    One of the articles mentioned someone called her conduct 'unsportsmanlike?' She's far less distracting rolling her arms than Marlins guy is sitting behind home plate at Kauffman Stadium. The streaming toilet paper falling down behind home plate was far more distracting. If anything, she was a novelty to Shea Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    There were added seats on the field next to dugouts in 86? I miss the wood paneled dugouts.

Leave a comment:

• Chef Bill
    replied
    You can see her in action here...

Leave a comment:

• johnql
    replied
    Sorry I don't remember who posted these photos originally in the Shea Stadium thread, so I can't credit them appropriately.

Leave a comment:

• Dennisv21
    replied
    Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    When the camera zoomed in on a tighter shot of the plate she was totally out of the frame so I doubt Clemens & Co. even saw her. Funny thing is, her husband (I assume sitting to her right) never moved a muscle during the entire game. The man was a statue.
    Bo Field passed away about 3 years ago.

Here's a 2012 story (with embedded links) about the "Mets Lady."

http://www.faithandfearinflushing.co...nd-home-plate/

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    Originally posted by parlo View Post
    Wasnt there a guy in a Speedo who used to show up at college basketball games and sit right behind the basket ? I vaguely remember him dancing around during a foul shot.
    As for the Shea lady, the backstop there is too high in my opinion to allow her to be much of a distraction.
    When the camera zoomed in on a tighter shot of the plate she was totally out of the frame so I doubt Clemens & Co. even saw her. Funny thing is, her husband (I assume sitting to her right) never moved a muscle during the entire game. The man was a statue.

Leave a comment:

• parlo
    replied
    Wasnt there a guy in a Speedo who used to show up at college basketball games and sit right behind the basket ? I vaguely remember him dancing around during a foul shot.
    As for the Shea lady, the backstop there is too high in my opinion to allow her to be much of a distraction.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    Yes he did find Fernando.

Leave a comment:

• whoisonit
    replied
    Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    IIRC his name is Mike Brito and he always wore that famous Panama hat and had a cigar Vin Scully said "he could bat 300 with". He's a scout now for the organization.
    If I remember correctly, he was the Mexico scout responsible for finding Fernando Valenzuela. He was given the gun job as a reward. He was such a fixture at Dodger Stadium, you could rank him in a 'Ballpark icons' listing.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    Originally posted by Reds41 View Post
    I remember her very well. Always wondered what happened to her.

I remember that woman and that guy at Dodger stadium that was always behind the screen behind home plate that tracked the speed of the pitches. I always remembered that hat he wore.

I think if I was a pitcher, I'd have to let one "slip" and hit the screen.
    IIRC his name is Mike Brito and he always wore that famous Panama hat and had a cigar Vin Scully said "he could bat 300 with". He's a scout now for the organization.

Leave a comment:

• Reds41
    replied
    I remember her very well. Always wondered what happened to her.

I remember that woman and that guy at Dodger stadium that was always behind the screen behind home plate that tracked the speed of the pitches. I always remembered that hat he wore.

I think if I was a pitcher, I'd have to let one "slip" and hit the screen.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    From game 6 of the 86 Series DVDs
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X