Olympic Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jC... View Post
    I dont think there was a bad seat in the place.
    I don't believe the stadium was as bad a place as some say, but it is true that as is typical for multipurpose stadiums, the seats were further away from the field than in other ballparks, particularly in terms of elevation (I only fully appreciated this after I attended a game in Fenway), though it did improve with the remodeling. And of course the symmetric concrete structure did not create an ideal ambiance. This can be (and had been) counteracted by lively promotions between innings and behind the stands. Unfortunately in the Loria era and beyond this pretty much dried up. I remember when ESPN did their survey of stadiums, and kept mentioning things lacking from the Big O, I would think, but they do have that, and then remember that it hadn't been present at the park for a number of years.

Comment

Donnie Baseball in a badly scanned picture from a Yankees vs. Expos
      exhibition game March 1988...

Last edited by Buzzy05401; 07-27-2008, 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed the picture

Comment

A few pictures I found on Wikipedia. The first one is very cool, might make it my new wallpaper!

Comment

I saw I think 3 or 4 games at Stade Olympique... I believe I saw Dave Parker drive in 5 runs one time for the Reds in the late 80's against the Expos. Since I was only used to seeing games at Cleveland Stadium, Olympic Stadium was actually a big improvement and I considered it a great place to watch a game. The Metro would indeed take you right under the Stadium.

I was in Montreal this summer and got a good look at the place again from the outside. It is a shame b/c Montreal really was a great baseball town. But Montrealers like to be outside in the summer not entombed in that place. They loved Jarry Park. Too bad a nice outdoor facility couldn't have been financed somehow.

Comment

Ok, So I've become a little obsessed with this stadium the last few days. I'm attaching a few photos I found on flickr, might take a few posts to get through them all though.

Comment

More:

Comment

Comment

Last Post:

set up for soccer:

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                    Ok, So I've become a little obsessed with this stadium the last few days.
                    Yeah, for some reason, I have a strange obsession with the Expos and Olympic Stadium as well. I don't know what it is, but it's wierd. I even had to have an Expos hat.
                    sigpic

Comment

It was definitely a better place than it's given credit for.

Getting the bad stuff out of the way first, the roof was terrible, as was the location. It's also very poorly maintained (I sat in the right field 'bleachers' one time and one of the seats just wasn't there, only the post holding it up). But, any place that only has 3000-5000 people when it can sit over 45,000 is going to be looked at poorly.

I never went there before the re-modeling, but once they pushed the diamond back a bit, got rid of the old Olympic 'warning track', and cut the stands so that they'd curve to the outfield wall it was pretty nice for what it was. The out-of-town scoreboards were a nice touch, even though you couldn't see them if you were sitting in the bleachers.

A better location, a retractable roof that actually worked, and some money spent on upkeep and this could have been a great multi-purpose stadium.

I really wish I had taken more pictures at the Expos games I went to over the years (probably around 10 or so), especially when I went in '98 when they had taken the roof off for the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                        More:
                        That last pic is the skydome

Comment

Montreal needs another MLB team. Move the Rays to Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                            Montreal needs another MLB team. Move the Rays to Montreal.
                            Only way that will happen will be if Labatt Park gets built. That would be very cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                              they did go - u can look it up... they came from all over eastern canada, new hampshire, vermont and upstate new york.
                              they stopped going when mlb turned it's back on the franchise. the selig inside job that involved the expos/red sox/marlins was a sham. the only reason that luria "bought" the expos was that he knew that john henry would get the sox (despite higher bidders) and luria would get the marlins. wanna talk about fans who don't show up? looks like his squeeze of the florida taxpayers may be stopped in court - http://www.fieldofschemes.com/ look @ 7/23 entry.
                              Sounds more like they shot themselves in the foot to me:

Final decade
                              During the 1994–1995 offseason, Claude Brochu instructed general manager Kevin Malone to conduct a fire sale and cut ties with the team's major stars. Larry Walker left as a free agent, and as the Expos had not offered him salary arbitration, they did not receive any compensation for Walker's departure. John Wetteland was traded to the New York Yankees, Ken Hill to the St. Louis Cardinals, and Marquis Grissom to the Atlanta Braves.[3] Many of the leading players said, in retrospect, that they would have been willing to take pay cuts in order to return in 1995 and compete once again for the World Series.[citation needed] On ESPN, Larry Walker asked rhetorically, "I was willing to take a cut to keep the team together, but I was never offered a contract. Where did the money go? We may never know."[citation needed] The Expos' attendance flatlined after the fire sale and never recovered; their average attendance would never top 20,000 again during their last 10 seasons in Montreal.

Kevin Malone resigned as general manager in October 1995, saying "I'm in the building business, not in the dismantling business."[34] Moisés Alou and Mel Rojas left as free agents after the 1996 season,[1] and Pedro Martínez was traded after the 1997 season, shortly after winning the Cy Young Award.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montrea...osGuide2004-15

Attendance 1994-2004
                              http://mtlexpos.tripod.com/attendance_archive.htm

The deal you're talking about took place 5 years after the owners gave up on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
                                During the 1994–1995 offseason, Claude Brochu instructed general manager Kevin Malone to conduct a fire sale and cut ties with the team's major stars. Larry Walker left as a free agent, and as the Expos had not offered him salary arbitration, they did not receive any compensation for Walker's departure. John Wetteland was traded to the New York Yankees, Ken Hill to the St. Louis Cardinals, and Marquis Grissom to the Atlanta Braves.[3] Many of the leading players said, in retrospect, that they would have been willing to take pay cuts in order to return in 1995 and compete once again for the World Series.
                                Brochu was a twerp who was afraid to lose money. He never put his money where his mouth was and if he took a risk a kept that team together there would still be baseball in Montreal. There's no way Montreal will ever get pro ball ever again, MLB doesn't want to deal with the issues, and there's no one willing to put up the money to build a real park.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X