No announcement yet.

Olympic Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even after the post-strike firesale, they were still a pretty good.

In '96 they won 88 games and only missed the wild card by 2 games. And this was with a tiny $17 million payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
      Only way that will happen will be if Labatt Park gets built. That would be very cool to see.
      never, ever gonna happen. montreal is dead to mlb, toronto is next...
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

I feel so bad for montreal! Its a shame what happened!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
          I would say they deserved losing their team because of apathetic crowds, but what they thought would be a successful move really wasn't. The Nationals organization is a joke and the ballpark was a mistake for being buit. Drawing the crowds they do 4 years into existence in unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by mets16 View Post
            I would say they deserved losing their team because of apathetic crowds, but what they thought would be a successful move really wasn't. The Nationals organization is a joke and the ballpark was a mistake for being buit. Drawing the crowds they do 4 years into existence in unacceptable.
            I got the impression they had bad ownership that stopped caring. So you can't blame the town if they have a bad owner just like Tampa used to not support the bucs because hugh culverhouse wouldn't spend money on players, on facilities, or the stadium. Now we have a great owners and have great support!
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

My unending memory of Olympic Stadium: I was on a business trip to Montreal sometime in the mid-90s. One evening I decided to go see the Expos play. After finding the park- complicated by my inability to speak French- I bought a ticket and went in.

Not too many people there- I had a box seat and was over between home and first.

Sometime in the early innings one of the batters- I don't remember who- took a cut and skimmed a foul back and over or past the screen behind home plate. He really zinged it back there. There was an open concourse back there with refreshment stands facing the field.

A guy with a pork pie hat had just bought a beer at one of the stands- the ball came roaring back at about 200 miles per hour, the guy looked up a split second before it got there, and caught it with his bare hand. Never spilled a drop! Even took a bow.

One of the greatest plays I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                Yeah well, what are you going to do - Bud Selig doesn't like French people

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                  Yeah well, what are you going to do - Bud Selig doesn't like French people
                  Im just happy he likes Tampa more than montreal then lol

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                    Just curious, was this picture taken when that practical joke was done on Derek Bell? The one where the team was giving away his car to some lucky fan.

edit: oops, nevermind, that was in Toronto. What is with the SUV on the field?
                    Check out my interactive Past Ballpark Locations map

Comment

Originally posted by CruiznSD View Post
                      Just curious, was this picture taken when that practical joke was done on Derek Bell? The one where the team was giving away his car to some lucky fan.

Not sure, like I said, I just found it on flickr.

Comment

Anybody have a picture of the orange line they had to paint on the roof overhang, above the foul poles, after Kingman hit one too high?

Comment

Originally posted by CruiznSD View Post

Could be some between inning promotion
                          "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

Comment

Originally posted by burroughsmvp View Post
                            Anybody have a picture of the orange line they had to paint on the roof overhang, above the foul poles, after Kingman hit one too high?
                            That's something I wish I had taken a picture of. I think you can still see it up there.

These are some pictures I took at the Grey Cup last year. I really wish I had taken a picture of the upper concourse, especially down in the area where my seats were. They just covered up some old sections with plywood, or something, and the last few portals are completely blocked off. We had to go in through one a few sections down and walk down.

These 2, I think, show how close to the roof you are when you're in the upper deck:

This is the top of where the scoreboard is:

This one shows how dirty it is in some places.

Some of one of the auxiliary scoreboards:

Last edited by BigOneBitey; 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOneBitey View Post
                              That's something I wish I had taken a picture of. I think you can still see it up there.

These are some pictures I took at the Grey Cup last year. I really wish I had taken a picture of the upper concourse, especially down in the area where my seats were. They just covered up some old sections with plywood, or something, and the last few portals are completely blocked off. We had to go in through one a few sections down and walk down.
                              That brings up an interesting point. I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the concourses at the Big O.

Comment

That roof looks as close as some of the older basketball areanas!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X