Looking for pictures of stadiums for specific years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for pictures of stadiums for specific years

I do not not know if this is the appropriate place to post for stadium pictures, but I am looking for a couple pictures of stadiums during certain years. And the picture must be from that year. Here we go:

+ I am looking for a picture of Shea Stadium during the 1984 season. I prefer it where the scoreboard is visible.

+ I am also looking for Busch Stadium during the 1996 season and during the playoffs. The position doesn't matter, as long as the field is visible. (Goal has been met)

* Another picture I am looking for is Royals/Kaufmann Stadium during the 1997 season, even though they didn't do so well this season. (This was when the layout of the field changed to the dirt paths being visible instead of around the bases.

* The last picture I am looking for is the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome during its inaugural season, 1982. Why? I just want to see what is different than today, if anything changed.

Do you have what it takes to find those pictures? I cannot find some on Google, so maybe I'll have some luck here.
    Last edited by Solair Wright; 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM. Reason: Two goals have been met.

Busch 1996

Here are 2 shots from 1996 at Busch Stadium II. The first is an awesome shot during the renovation in 1996. This is from the 2005 Yearbook. The second is during the season and is from the book 2005-The Final Season. Note that in 1996 they didn't have the manually operated scoreboard in the upper deck and only one bullpen (The Cardinals bullpen) was placed in left field. During that season the visitors bullpen was placed under the loge level in left field. The next season they built the manually operated scoreboard in the upper deck, built a bullpen in right field and moved the Cardinals to that bullpen and the visitors team to the left field bullpen.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

Shea 1984. Sorry about the quality; I had a really crappy camera back then. The 4th pic as a stitched panoramic. 84 might have been the end of the original scoreboard's tenure. In 84 they still had the full-length dirt foul line paths and coach's boxes, soon to be eliminated.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

More from 84 incl the scoreboard. The H and the E in the 'Hanover' of the Manufacturer's sign was the offical scorer's hit and error designation. Quite unique!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 04-17-2008, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
          84 might have been the end of the original scoreboard's tenure.
          1987 was the last year of the original scoreboard. I went to Opening Day in 1988, seeing the new board for the first time, and I felt like I was in a new ballpark!
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Looking for pictures of stadiums for specific years

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
            1987 was the last year of the original scoreboard. I went to Opening Day in 1988, seeing the new board for the first time, and I felt like I was in a new ballpark!
            I am looking for pictures of Old Yankee Stadium and I also looking for pictures of Dodger Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Manhattan View Post
              I am looking for pictures of Old Yankee Stadium and I also looking for pictures of Dodger Stadium.
              There is a ton in this thread alot of good ones:
              http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=71363
              39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
              2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Hey Aviator_Frank, I have always had a question about the Shea bleachers in the 1980's. They are obviously not the same ones that are presently at Shea. My question is are those bleachers from the 80's small leftover bleachers from the Jets? They look as though they curve at the same angle as the football bleachers from when the Jets played at Shea.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                  Hey Aviator_Frank, I have always had a question about the Shea bleachers in the 1980's. They are obviously not the same ones that are presently at Shea. My question is are those bleachers from the 80's small leftover bleachers from the Jets? They look as though they curve at the same angle as the football bleachers from when the Jets played at Shea.
                  Can't help you on that one, stlfan. Maybe Gary or someone else here could chime in.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures of 1984 Shea and 1996 Busch Memorial Stadium guys. I'm trying to see what the differences are of each ballpark, and Shea looks much different than in, say, 1988. As for Busch, it doesn't look much different than in 2005, and I've yet to see the last three.

Could someone please answer stlfan's question? My father is curious about the bleachers being left over as well.

Comment

This is when MLB allowed cloaking devices for games.

Those were trickey games to follow.

Comment

This is a picture of the Metrodome from 1982. Sorry I have none of the outfield and scoreboard from that year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
                          This is a picture of the Metrodome from 1982. Sorry I have none of the outfield and scoreboard from that year.

I've noticed some changes over the past 26 years of the Metrodome:

* The field line to separate the outfield and infield is not visible in that shot.

* The bullpens are coated in blue instead of having artificial dirt.

* The dugouts look a lot different than today's.

* The light fixtures look different.

Those are some of the changes I can see, besides the different turf, which was the most obvious. I can't see all of them right now, but that's some of them I can find in that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
                            I've noticed some changes over the past 26 years of the Metrodome:

* The field line to separate the outfield and infield is not visible in that shot.

* The bullpens are coated in blue instead of having artificial dirt.

* The dugouts look a lot different than today's.

* The light fixtures look different.

Those are some of the changes I can see, besides the different turf, which was the most obvious. I can't see all of them right now, but that's some of them I can find in that picture.
                            A few more points:

-- If you look real close, you can see the line between the outfield & infield. As I recall, on the original artificial turf in the Metrodome (SuperTurf) they had from 1982-86, field markings never stood out particularly well. I've seen footage from Vikings games in that time frame where the end zone "Vikings" wordmark looks washed-out. When they went to AstroTurf in 1987, all field markings looked normal.

-- The roof lighting has also changed. After awhile the orange-ish roof lights were moved to the base of the roof instead of floating in the middle, then earlier this decade they were switch to white lights.

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                              Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                              Can't help you on that one, stlfan. Maybe Gary or someone else here could chime in.
                              If memory serves me right, the bleachers used for football were actually in front of the outfield wall, so the answer would be: no, the original picnic bleachers (not to be confused with the temporary bleachers put up for the 1969 World Series) were not Jets leftovers.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X