Teams playing at other stadiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams playing at other stadiums

when i saw the highlights from the rays-blue jays game last night it gave me an idea (since the rays played a home game at disney) for a thread. what teams (for any reason) have played either exhibition or regular season games at a stadium other than their own.

also, does anyone have any information/pictures about the field the rays and jays played on last night? i think i heard it was in buena vista florida or something?

heres the expos playing in san juan puerta rico at Hiram Bithorn Stadium:

here is Hiram Bithorn Stadium:

It was at the wide world of sports complex. It is at disney in lake beuna vista florida. It is one of the nicest spring training stadiums in Florida, where they host the braves. They used to host the orlando rays, but no one went so they moved their team. I think it holds like 12,000 or 13,000 and has 2 decks and a nice berm. Im sure if you want good pics you can go to digitalballparks or ballparks.com to get some good shots.

The principal owner of the rays stewert sternburg did this last year too. He almost sold it out all 3 games last year, but feel a thousand or two short. His theory is there are only 2 pro baseball teams in Florida, so why not convince other cities to be rays fans. So he got the team to play a few home games in central florida to capture that audiance. He said last year something like whats going to make us more money having the same 30,000 thousand fans at 3 home games or having 10,000 new fans from orlando who will watch all our games on tv and buy all our merchandise and still keep our existing fans?

Smart move since orlando is only and hour and a half away and daytona is 2 or so hours away. I think he could really get some new fans who will come to tampa in the summer to get away from the tourists from up north annoying them.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Here's a gallery of the Indians/Angels series at Miller Park last season.

I know there's some pictures of the Chicago White Sox playing 1968 and 69 home games in Milwaukee County Stadium over on one of the other boards - see what I can dig up.

Comment

thanks chevy114, here's a few pics of the wide world of sports complex i dug up, nice park:

Comment

Originally posted by six4three View Post

Oh you beat me to it. After the season's opening seies against the Seattle Mariners was snowed out (lol) at Jacobs Field, they had to move the next "home" series to Milwaukee.

I watched that first game they tried to get in. How bizarre to see those guys playing, or trying to play, in all that snow. Luckily Hargrove got them to call the game off.
          Last edited by Seattle1; 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I have never been to a game at the disney complex, but I went to the football feilds just past it to watch the bucs preseason practices. The baseball field looks really nice, I would compare it to Brighthouse fields in clearwater as far as looks. I heard the seats are a little cramp though.

Did a lot of teams play in other stadiums during renovations or was that just the yankees playing at shea?
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Well, not a lot of teams have made such dramatic renovations to their stadiums.

I'm pretty sure that the Royals and Angels were able to work around their stadium renovations (as were the Packers, if we extend this to another sport).

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the Royals and Angels were able to work around their stadium renovations (as were the Packers, if we extend this to another sport).
                Angel Stadium was a construction zone during that season. The Club level was closed and was torn aport. Different parts of the Stadium were closed at different times during the entire season.

So..who has played regular season home games at different venues....

Angels of course played at Dodger Stadium or Chavez Ravine before Anaheim Stadium was completed

Dodgers of course played at the Coliseum

Last Season, the Indians played at Miller Park because it was snowing in Cleveland.

Baltimore Orioles played at Joe Robbie Stadium for an Exhibition game in the early 90's, before the Marlins existance.

And of course you can't forget the teams that have opened the season in Japan....

Comment

The Mariners had to play on the road for a while in '94 after ceiling tiles fell in The Kingdome including on the road at the opponent's park as the "home" team...

Probably the last time you could get box seats behind the dugout for just $10!
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                    The Mariners had to play on the road for a while in '94 after ceiling tiles fell in The Kingdome including on the road at the opponent's park as the "home" team...

Probably the last time you could get box seats behind the dugout for just $10!
                    Speaking of falling tiles.....Didn't the Expos play there remaining home games or portion of due to the failing Olympic Stadium structure??

Comment

yeah, the royals are going to split up their construction throughout the season, they are going to work on one half of the stadium (and close part of that side down in the process)during the first half of the season, than after the all-star break they will start working on the other side of the stadium and do the same thing.

Comment

I remember when there was a concern that Hurricane Ivan would hit South Florida in 2004, they relocated a Marlins series to New Comiskey in Chicago. I forgot the opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                          I remember when there was a concern that Hurricane Ivan would hit South Florida in 2004, they relocated a Marlins series to New Comiskey in Chicago. I forgot the opponents.
                          My g/f and a I at the time had tickets for the marlins cubs games. Man was she pissed, since shes such a huge cubs fan. I am a rays fans so I didn't care either way.

Comment

Originally posted by JT7 View Post
                            Speaking of falling tiles.....Didn't the Expos play there remaining home games or portion of due to the failing Olympic Stadium structure??
                            The Expos had to play with the roof stuck open at the Olympic Stadium for a season. I guess the lid of the teapot failed to lower due to stuck or tangles cables. Or something.

I remember Vin Scully remarking about one the the many sub-1,000 crowds by saying "a bad team playing in bad weather"

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                              The Expos had to play with the roof stuck open at the Olympic Stadium for a season. I guess the lid of the teapot failed to lower due to stuck or tangles cables. Or something.

I remember Vin Scully remarking about one the the many sub-1,000 crowds by saying "a bad team playing in bad weather"
                              Didn't a piece of concrete fall from the exterior at one time?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X