The Pacific Coast League & Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCL Stadiums

I tried to search for a thread devoted to only pcl stadiums but I had no luck. Only individual threads for some stadiums, but let me know if I missed it.

Can we post pictures of the original teams stadiums: Hollywood Stars, Los Angeles Angels, Mission Reds (representing San Francisco's Mission District), Oakland Oaks, Portland Beavers, Sacramento Solons, Salt Lake Bees, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Rainiers, Vernon Tigers later the Tacoma Tigers, Vancouver Canadians and the Hawaii Islanders. Also any cool stories or updates on the pcl wouldn't be bad either.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

From San Diego's PCL days:

Lane Field:

Westgate Park, where I saw my first pro baseball game, John Boozer pitched and people kept yelling at him: "Boozer the looser":

Last edited by milladrive; 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM. Reason: Fixed Westgate Park link

Comment

Thank you! This is just the kind of shots I was hoping for!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Oaks Park in Emeryville, California, home of the Oakland Oaks:

$(KGrHqN,!okE9mgm+JSvBPgm2IenM!~~60_57.JPG

Comment

This film has some awesome footage of the 1946 PCL spring training sites:

Comment

Great thread idea Chevy114.
              Baseball. The official sport of god.

Comment

Actually, there was already a PCL thread in the Forum Index, so I'm extra thankful to see that Chevy's thread was relocated by Capital City Goofball and given new life. I've merged the two, fixed a few links (including the photo of Westgate Park), and then painstakingly went though each post (primarily the pics) and added the parks to the Quick Search thread.

Thanks again, CCG! :cap:
                Put it in the books.

Comment

Washington Park - First home of the Losa Angeles Angels
                  692006washington-park-1911.jpg

Comment

Just for the record, I've relocated recent posts with pics of Wrigley Field, Los Angeles to the thread bearing its name. Likewise, the terrific pic of Gilmore Field has been relocated to the Gilmore Field thread.

And Orioles5, thanks much for the 1911 pic of Washington Park, Los Angeles! I believe that's a new one for this forum. I've taken the liberty of posting a slightly larger version.

Washington_Park_Los_Angeles.jpg
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Images of Washington Park in Los Angeles (home of the Angels, 1912-1925) courtesy of the Water and Power Associates:

Washington_Park3.jpg
                      (1924) - Aerial view of the 'New' Washington Park which was home to the Los Angeles Angels from 1912 until they moved to Wrigley Field in 1925; The Vernon Tigers, who in 1938 would become the Hollywood Stars, also played at Washington Park but only when the Angels were away.

00075821.jpg
                      (1924) - Aerial view of Washington Park, home of the Los Angeles Angels. Hill Street is visible parallel to 1st base line while Washington Blvd. is to the right.

Washington_Park_1917.jpg
                      (1917) - View of a game at Washington Park. It is unknown which team is the batting team, and which is the fielding team, but it may be either the Los Angeles Angels or the other home team, the Hollywood Stars.
                      Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Two more images of Washington Park courtesy of the Los Angeles Public Library:

00081850.jpg

00081852.jpg

Comment

Lucky Beaver Stadium (aka Vaughn Street Park) during opening game. April 10, 1951.

ackroyd-02786-1.jpg

ackroyd-02786-2.jpg

ackroyd-02786-3.jpg

ackroyd-02786-4.jpg

ackroyd-02786-5.jpg

Comment

Multnomah Stadium, Portland, Oregon, 1956 (image courtesy of Photoscream)

5346072811_7de66dd485_b.jpg

Comment

Ewing Field, home of the San Francisco Seals for one year (1914):
                              Ewing Field.jpg

Comment

Recreation Park, San Francisco, 1908 (image courtesy of Photoscream):

4335758195_b24d74a4dd_o.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X