Pros & Cons - New Yankee Stadium and 70's renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    How about selling the new YS to the Diamondbacks and move it out to Arizona, like London Bridge!

Seriously, I am disappointed in Yankee fans for not putting up more of a public stink. They are going to actually tear down Yankee Stadium

Let that sink in. Tear. Down. Yankee. Stadium. I know how sad I will be when they tear Shea down, but for all the talk of Pinstripe Pride and "Glory that Was Rome" stuff, I would have expected more sit-ins and self-immolations from the Yankee faithful. Maybe as the day draws nearer.
    Don't hold your breath, Swaboda.

A few of us heve been speaking up about the upcoming desecration, but no one wants to hear any of that. We're just the voices of doom and gloom, pissing everyone off with our constant whining.

After all, it's such a bee-yoo-ti-ful new Stadium. How can we not be thrilled?

Comment

How about selling the new YS to the Diamondbacks and move it out to Arizona, like London Bridge!

Seriously, I am disappointed in Yankee fans for not putting up more of a public stink. They are going to actually tear down Yankee Stadium

Let that sink in. Tear. Down. Yankee. Stadium. I know how sad I will be when they tear Shea down, but for all the talk of Pinstripe Pride and "Glory that Was Rome" stuff, I would have expected more sit-ins and self-immolations from the Yankee faithful. Maybe as the day draws nearer.
      Not to keep rehashing this again and again and again but to me they already tore down Yankee Stadium in the 70's. So tearing down what's there now doesn't really make any difference to me. Plus I'm sure you'll be able to buy seats and scrap metal at a price if what's there now means that much to you.

Comment

But there is no "will" to do it.
        That pretty much nails it. And a lot of these renovations could have been done in the off-season like the Soxes (White and Red) have done.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
          Not to keep rehashing this again and again and again but to me they already tore down Yankee Stadium in the 70's. So tearing down what's there now doesn't really make any difference to me. Plus I'm sure you'll be able to buy seats and scrap metal at a price if what's there now means that much to you.
          Gordon, I know that you have been passionate about the Stadium being lost with the 70's renovation but in all seriousness, what is lost that really could not be restored?? And what WOULD need to be restored so people who feel the Stadium died in 1973 would feel it is back again?? (in other words - no poles.)

Comment

I guess you chose to ignore these pictures I posted to YOU on that other thread filled with passionate Yankee fans circa 1996!

Any moron could see from these pics that the Exterior of Yankee Stadium is all original.

If you chose to ignore that fact...Thats fine....But lets be realistic my friend.

Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
              Don't hold your breath, Swaboda.

A few of us heve been speaking up about the upcoming desecration, but no one wants to hear any of that. We're just the voices of doom and gloom, pissing everyone off with our constant whining.

After all, it's such a bee-yoo-ti-ful new Stadium. How can we not be thrilled?
              To the contrary, I think most of us understand your opinion. Speaking for myself, between the firing of Joe Torre and the building of the new stadium, I was convinced for awhile that I was gonna quit being a Yankee fan. Of course, everybody says that knowing full well that its impossible and just an empty threat. But seriously, the way the Yankees and the city just went ahead with this showed no concern for what the fans wanted and no concern for the community, which shouldn't surprise anybody. The movement for a new Yankee Stadium had been picking up momentum since the 80s... Not that I'm telling anybody here anything they don't already know. Realistically, who can stand to such political and financial power? For better or worse, what is is and what will be will be, so, I feel that most of us are reserved to accepting the new stadium and making the best of the situation. The negativity, as tempting as it is to go that route, is not going to accomplish anything.

Comment

Sorry but what's the point of "retrovating" the current stadium to look like the original stadium? it's still not gonna be the original stadium. the frieze that mantle hit twice is gone. the mound that don larsen threw his perfect game from is gone. the homeplate that jackie robinson stole is gone. the spot where maris' 61st HR is gone.

They can't bring back what's already gone. They can only replicate it. And I don't think replicating it is worth a 2 yr renovation...errr retrovation.

Comment

(post deleted)
                  Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

It won't fully sink in till you ride by on the Deegan and see the new stadium there all by its lonesome.

Kinda like riding past the World's Fair on the GC Expy seeing the observation towers and Unisphere but the familar Shea donut is gone.

Comment

I'd rather see the new Stadium by itself then see both, knowing that the inevitable is just around the corner. Seriously, I don't even want to think about it.

Comment

I understand the love affair for old Yankee Stadium. It looks great in books, pics, films, and there was nothing better than watching double headers on WPIX on a Sunday afternoon. However, Yankee attendance steadily declined from '46 to '73 due to the TV, the migration to the suburbs, bad teams and the very real perception of the Bronx as Fort Apache. The 4 train was the muggers express, and there were many open lots around the stadium where you couldn't help but worry if your car was going to be one piece when you got out. I grew up in the late 60's early 70's. I had many freinds who were Met fans because their parents refused to go near the Bronx and Shea was the jewel stadium at the time with plenty of parking. (Even in the early 90's you had the squeegee guys roaming the parking lots). By 1973, the stadium was OLD and smelled like stale beer. I remmember them actually considering putting in artificial turf when they were talking about the remolded Stadium because in the early 70's it seemed like 50 pct of the game was played on astroturf. The renovation was much better than the alternative, which was the meadowlands. To this day I dont understand why they didn't keep my favorite YS feature..the low 4 foot outfield fences that angled higher towards the power alleys and CF. Even though it was gutted and literally a shell of its former self, I personally still feel like I'm inside YS when I'm in the renovated stadium. The history of the '76-08 YS is quite amazing in itself. But its time has come. The Yankees are not drawing 2 million anymore. The upper deck is a disaster if there was any emergency. Over 30,000 people and one walkway the width of ONE person would have to scurry to the tunnels and then have to navigate down hairpin ramps about 10 feet wide. Not only has baseball changed since 1973 and 1976 but fans have as well. It used to be you go to a game, you buy a scorecard and you sit in your seat and attentively watch the game. Now..people can't sit still. Its a big deal when you are getting post season type attendance every night. The new stadium can't come soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                          I guess you chose to ignore these pictures I posted to YOU on that other thread filled with passionate Yankee fans circa 1996!

Any moron could see from these pics that the Exterior of Yankee Stadium is all original.

If you chose to ignore that fact...Thats fine....But lets be realistic my friend.
                          There's really no point to your pictures, so they left some exterior that look similar, who gives a flying turd. If you look at the current exterior what really sticks out are those 3 70's Chic rounded glass & concrete buildings which are butt ugly. More importantly, the interior is utterly different, no more death valley, no more upper deck frieze, etc..

Comment

If anything I would say the exterior is the aspect least like the original. Yes the lower walls are the same, but when you drive by on the Major Deegan all you see poking above the trees is that huge upper deck, which, I'll be honest, looks from the outside like it could be the upper deck at three rivers, busch II, any one of those. The upper deck addition is almost double the height of the original walls, and, at least on the exterior, is all new, circa mid-70s. I'm not going to rehash my opinions about the interior, but I think the exterior presents the weakest case that the stadium is the same. Look at the picture. Literally everything you can see except for the letters is new.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MarcianoNY; 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM.

Comment

So I hear that they're going to tear down Yankee Stadium.

So what?

They've already torn down Comiskey Park, Ebbetts Field, Polo Grounds, and several others. They've also torn down classic arenas such as the Boston Garden, Montreal Forum, and Chicago Stadium. Soldier Field was gutted and replaced with something more modern. So tearing down Yankee Stadium is just another chapter in the cycle of sports life. And what are the Yankees and their fans getting? A better stadium in return.

By the way, didn't the Red Sox already try to move out of Fenway? They wanted to leave that dump and build a better ballpark. And they'd already be playing in one now if the people in the local neighborhood weren't such babies. Eventually the Red Sox will move out of Fenway, and I can't wait to hear all the whining. Mike and the Mad Dog even trashed the place, and they're from New York.
                              Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
                                Eventually the Red Sox will move out of Fenway, and I can't wait to hear all the whining. Mike and the Mad Dog even trashed the place, and they're from New York.
                                I doubt whether even 10% of "Red Sox Nation" has ever been to Fenway, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was far less outcry the next time the issue is raised, as I'm sure it will be. A little side-track here: Having lived in Wisconsin, I've come to have a deep appreciation for the Packers organization and the way it is owned by a community of over 117,000 shareholders, many of them season ticket-holders. In the long run, this is the only type of ownership that is going to be sympathetic to keeping old, beloved stadiums around... because as long as the fans want it, the stadium stays. If the team was privately owned, Lambeau field would have been replaced with some generic HOK piece of crap with about 5 decks and 100s of luxury suites and martini lounges years ago.
                                Last edited by MarcianoNY; 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X