X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curb my enthusiasm
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Indeed, thanks for the memories. Rebuilt Yankee Stadium II served its purpose, so lets close it out in style and go nuts in '09 at the new place
    I'd like to see them close out Yankee Stadium in the winter with the Rangers crushing the Islanders.

Leave a comment:

• curb my enthusiasm
    replied
    Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
    I don't understand why so many people hate the new stadium. I've been a Yankees fan for over 30 years, I've been a full season ticket holder since 1992, I've been to hundreds of games at the current stadium, and I think a new ballpark is long overdue. As much as I love the current place, it's got to rank as one of the worst places in MLB to attend a game, the seating is cramped, getting around the concourses is a nightmare, and the sightlines aren't the greatest, especially if you sit in the tier. From my current seats, which is behind homeplate in the lower part of the tier, I've never seen a play in the left field corner.

The new stadium is a work of art, absolutely stunning, I don't understand all the people who get angry that it's not an exact replica of the original, it's not intended to be, it's an interpretation of the original. It's meant to have the same general look, but it looks so much better. I can't wait until Opening Day 2009 when I park my butt in my brand new seat at the most state of the art facility in MLB.

I'll miss the old stadium for sentimental reasons, but I'm going to love going to the new stadium for many years to come.
    I agree 100%.

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
    When you say that it's way past its useful life, you ARE talking about the current Yankee Stadium, correct?
    Indeed, thanks for the memories. Rebuilt Yankee Stadium II served its purpose, so lets close it out in style and go nuts in '09 at the new place

Leave a comment:

• curb my enthusiasm
    replied
    Architecturally, the current Yankee Stadium shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Roman Coliseum. There's not much architecture there left to salvage, it's way past its useful life, and the time has come to say thank you and move on.
    When you say that it's way past its useful life, you ARE talking about the current Yankee Stadium, correct?

Leave a comment:

• curb my enthusiasm
    replied
    What don't you understand about the fact that the corridors are the same, the rooms, the ramps, the concourses? (Yes--there's a new one, but the old one is still there.)
    You can keep the old corridors, ramps, and concourses. They suck. I'll be enjoying myself in the new ballpark.:cap:

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
    You basically don't know what you're talking about.

Penn Station was completely demolished Nothing remaons but a small piece of men's room floor and a few glass bricks. Hardly a comparison.

How can the Stadium be a "70s design" when 80% or so of the original Stadium remains--including the vast majority of the architectural detail?

What don't you understand about the fact that the corridors are the same, the rooms, the ramps, the concourses? (Yes--there's a new one, but the old one is still there.)

They added ten rows to the upper deck, removed the roof, the frieze, the columns, and the architectural detail on Gates 4 and 6. How hard would that have been to restore?

Not very.

Everything else remains.

It was not torn down and rebuilt.

It was not gutted and rebuilt.

I'm sure you're another one who's never been to the pre-renovation Stadium, and thus has no basis for making a comparison.
    There's not much point responding to your posts any more, you're stuck in the past. The place was gutted, the original Yankee Stadium is gone forever
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by yankees82 View Post
    He wants to stick to his theory that since they left most of the outerwalls up, that it's still the same structure, not to be mistaken for anything else. Forget the fact that upperdeck and upper concourse was drastically changed, roof/frieze was removed, columns were removed, bleachers completely transformed and downsized, and field dimensions were drastically changed. Don't forget about the 2 escalator towers at gate 4 and 6.

But hey the outer facade is still there!! Landmark the place!!
    Some Yankee fan you are.....The renovated Stadium has just as much history as the Pre-renovated Stadium.....So regardless if you feel it's original or not....It's a part of Yankee legacy......

Leave a comment:

• DM23MVP
    replied
    I don't understand why so many people hate the new stadium. I've been a Yankees fan for over 30 years, I've been a full season ticket holder since 1992, I've been to hundreds of games at the current stadium, and I think a new ballpark is long overdue. As much as I love the current place, it's got to rank as one of the worst places in MLB to attend a game, the seating is cramped, getting around the concourses is a nightmare, and the sightlines aren't the greatest, especially if you sit in the tier. From my current seats, which is behind homeplate in the lower part of the tier, I've never seen a play in the left field corner.

The new stadium is a work of art, absolutely stunning, I don't understand all the people who get angry that it's not an exact replica of the original, it's not intended to be, it's an interpretation of the original. It's meant to have the same general look, but it looks so much better. I can't wait until Opening Day 2009 when I park my butt in my brand new seat at the most state of the art facility in MLB.

I'll miss the old stadium for sentimental reasons, but I'm going to love going to the new stadium for many years to come.
    Last edited by DM23MVP; 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Man you sure do like to cling to those two pictures like it's your baby blanket. Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
    I certainly do cling on to the two comparison pictures I posted 5 times...and you still can't see it's the same structure.

The only thing that makes me all warm and fuzzy is that photo I see of Michael Douglas.

Leave a comment:

• David Atkatz
    replied
    Why do you assume I'd say Lincoln slept at the current White House, he clearly didn't based on the facts you just presented. But unlike the current Yankee Stadium, the current White House isn't a 70's design and would deserve to be saved.

There's some structure left over from the original Penn Station within the current Penn Station tunnels, are you saying that's the same too?

Yankee stadium wasn't renovated, it was torn apart and rebuilt - minus the underlying steel and concrete.
    You basically don't know what you're talking about.

Penn Station was completely demolished Nothing remaons but a small piece of men's room floor and a few glass bricks. Hardly a comparison.

How can the Stadium be a "70s design" when 80% or so of the original Stadium remains--including the vast majority of the architectural detail?

They added ten rows to the upper deck, removed the roof, the frieze, the columns, and the architectural detail on Gates 4 and 6. How hard would that have been to restore?

Not very.

Everything else remains.

It was not torn down and rebuilt.

It was not gutted and rebuilt.

I'm sure you're another one who's never been to the pre-renovation Stadium, and thus has no basis for making a comparison.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeFanBx
    replied
    Yankee Stadium , as we have know it, will not be host to any more baseball games after this season. If you were there and sat in the stadium before it's renovation or have only known the confines of the b____d stadium (to some) masquerading as Yankee Stadium, it's gone.
    My thoughts are these (who really cares but me), Ruth ,Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris , Jackson, Jeter, Cobb, Robinson, Kaline, Aaron, Mays, Seaver, Paige, Gibson and all the thousands of others who have played there, have all called it Yankee Stadium. No matter the roof, frieze, concourse, flag poles, scoreboard, turf, walls, or whatever was there or gone when they played there, you can bet a dollar to a doughnut, they knew they had played at Yankee Stadium.
    I'm pretty sure Ruth would know where he was if he could drive there today, 161st.Street and River Ave.
    He knocked a few out of there and I'm sure he knocked a few back there too.
    I remember the old and the renovated, changed for sure, but always Yankee Stadium.
    I guess I'm just pro Yankee Stadium, however much changed or wherever it's located.:twocents:
    Last edited by YankeeFanBx; 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    What nonsense. Gecko. Just a few weeks ago there was an article in the Times about the "unseen Yankee Stadium." It, for example, described, and pictured the storeroom under the stands where Gehrig used to go to get away after he had benched himself. Same room, still there. Like most of the other rooms.

My apartment in the city has been renovated. I guess the original 1923 building (just a coincidence, it was built in 1923) no longer exists.

According to you, Lincoln never slept at the renovated White House--which, unlike Yankee Stadium, was completely gutted in the 1950s and a completely new interior built. Only the outside walls are original. Absolutely nothing else.

Should we tear it down?
    Why do you assume I'd say Lincoln slept at the current White House, he clearly didn't based on the facts you just presented. But unlike the current Yankee Stadium, the current White House isn't a 70's design and would deserve to be saved.

There's some structure left over from the original Penn Station within the current Penn Station tunnels, are you saying that's the same too?

Yankee stadium wasn't renovated, it was torn apart and rebuilt - minus the underlying steel and concrete.

Leave a comment:

• David Atkatz
    replied
    Ruth and Gehrig never played in renovated Yankee Stadium II, so there aren't any chances left anyways.
    What nonsense. Gecko. Just a few weeks ago there was an article in the Times about the "unseen Yankee Stadium." It, for example, described, and pictured the storeroom under the stands where Gehrig used to go to get away after he had benched himself. Same room, still there. Like most of the other rooms.

My apartment in the city has been renovated. I guess the original 1923 building (just a coincidence, it was built in 1923) no longer exists.

According to you, Lincoln never slept at the renovated White House--which, unlike Yankee Stadium, was completely gutted in the 1950s and a completely new interior built. Only the outside walls are original. Absolutely nothing else.

Should we tear it down?

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Enjoy.

You won't have many more chances to watch a game at a venue where Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle all played.

(Unless you go to Fenway)
    Ruth and Gehrig never played in "renovated" (rebuilt) Yankee Stadium II, so there aren't any chances left anyways.
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Atkatz
    replied
    Enjoy.

You won't have many more chances to watch a game at a venue where Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle all played.

(Unless you go to Fenway)

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X