Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enchano
    replied
    I understand the love affair for old Yankee Stadium. It looks great in books, pics, films, and there was nothing better than watching double headers on WPIX on a Sunday afternoon. However, Yankee attendance steadily declined from '46 to '73 due to the TV, the migration to the suburbs, bad teams and the very real perception of the Bronx as Fort Apache. The 4 train was the muggers express, and there were many open lots around the stadium where you couldn't help but worry if your car was going to be one piece when you got out. I grew up in the late 60's early 70's. I had many freinds who were Met fans because their parents refused to go near the Bronx and Shea was the jewel stadium at the time with plenty of parking. (Even in the early 90's you had the squeegee guys roaming the parking lots). By 1973, the stadium was OLD and smelled like stale beer. I remmember them actually considering putting in artificial turf when they were talking about the remolded Stadium because in the early 70's it seemed like 50 pct of the game was played on astroturf. The renovation was much better than the alternative, which was the meadowlands. To this day I dont understand why they didn't keep my favorite YS feature..the low 4 foot outfield fences that angled higher towards the power alleys and CF. Even though it was gutted and literally a shell of its former self, I personally still feel like I'm inside YS when I'm in the renovated stadium. The history of the '76-08 YS is quite amazing in itself. But its time has come. The Yankees are not drawing 2 million anymore. The upper deck is a disaster if there was any emergency. Over 30,000 people and one walkway the width of ONE person would have to scurry to the tunnels and then have to navigate down hairpin ramps about 10 feet wide. Not only has baseball changed since 1973 and 1976 but fans have as well. It used to be you go to a game, you buy a scorecard and you sit in your seat and attentively watch the game. Now..people can't sit still. Its a big deal when you are getting post season type attendance every night. The new stadium can't come soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• MarcianoNY
    replied
    I'd rather see the new Stadium by itself then see both, knowing that the inevitable is just around the corner. Seriously, I don't even want to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Let that sink in. Tear. Down. Yankee. Stadium. I know how sad I will be when they tear Shea down, but for all the talk of Pinstripe Pride and "Glory that Was Rome" stuff, I would have expected more sit-ins and self-immolations from the Yankee faithful. Maybe as the day draws nearer.
    It won't fully sink in till you ride by on the Deegan and see the new stadium there all by its lonesome.

Kinda like riding past the World's Fair on the GC Expy seeing the observation towers and Unisphere but the familar Shea donut is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    (post deleted)
    Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yankees82
    replied
    Sorry but what's the point of "retrovating" the current stadium to look like the original stadium? it's still not gonna be the original stadium. the frieze that mantle hit twice is gone. the mound that don larsen threw his perfect game from is gone. the homeplate that jackie robinson stole is gone. the spot where maris' 61st HR is gone.

They can't bring back what's already gone. They can only replicate it. And I don't think replicating it is worth a 2 yr renovation...errr retrovation.

Leave a comment:

• MarcianoNY
    replied
    Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
    Don't hold your breath, Swaboda.

A few of us heve been speaking up about the upcoming desecration, but no one wants to hear any of that. We're just the voices of doom and gloom, pissing everyone off with our constant whining.

After all, it's such a bee-yoo-ti-ful new Stadium. How can we not be thrilled?
    To the contrary, I think most of us understand your opinion. Speaking for myself, between the firing of Joe Torre and the building of the new stadium, I was convinced for awhile that I was gonna quit being a Yankee fan. Of course, everybody says that knowing full well that its impossible and just an empty threat. But seriously, the way the Yankees and the city just went ahead with this showed no concern for what the fans wanted and no concern for the community, which shouldn't surprise anybody. The movement for a new Yankee Stadium had been picking up momentum since the 80s... Not that I'm telling anybody here anything they don't already know. Realistically, who can stand to such political and financial power? For better or worse, what is is and what will be will be, so, I feel that most of us are reserved to accepting the new stadium and making the best of the situation. The negativity, as tempting as it is to go that route, is not going to accomplish anything.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    I guess you chose to ignore these pictures I posted to YOU on that other thread filled with passionate Yankee fans circa 1996!

Any moron could see from these pics that the Exterior of Yankee Stadium is all original.

If you chose to ignore that fact...Thats fine....But lets be realistic my friend.

Leave a comment:

• SparkyL
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Not to keep rehashing this again and again and again but to me they already tore down Yankee Stadium in the 70's. So tearing down what's there now doesn't really make any difference to me. Plus I'm sure you'll be able to buy seats and scrap metal at a price if what's there now means that much to you.
    Gordon, I know that you have been passionate about the Stadium being lost with the 70's renovation but in all seriousness, what is lost that really could not be restored?? And what WOULD need to be restored so people who feel the Stadium died in 1973 would feel it is back again?? (in other words - no poles.)

Leave a comment:

• SparkyL
    replied
    But there is no "will" to do it.
    That pretty much nails it. And a lot of these renovations could have been done in the off-season like the Soxes (White and Red) have done.

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    How about selling the new YS to the Diamondbacks and move it out to Arizona, like London Bridge!

Seriously, I am disappointed in Yankee fans for not putting up more of a public stink. They are going to actually tear down Yankee Stadium

Let that sink in. Tear. Down. Yankee. Stadium. I know how sad I will be when they tear Shea down, but for all the talk of Pinstripe Pride and "Glory that Was Rome" stuff, I would have expected more sit-ins and self-immolations from the Yankee faithful. Maybe as the day draws nearer.
    Not to keep rehashing this again and again and again but to me they already tore down Yankee Stadium in the 70's. So tearing down what's there now doesn't really make any difference to me. Plus I'm sure you'll be able to buy seats and scrap metal at a price if what's there now means that much to you.

Leave a comment:

• David Atkatz
    replied
    How about selling the new YS to the Diamondbacks and move it out to Arizona, like London Bridge!

Seriously, I am disappointed in Yankee fans for not putting up more of a public stink. They are going to actually tear down Yankee Stadium

Don't hold your breath, Swaboda.

A few of us heve been speaking up about the upcoming desecration, but no one wants to hear any of that. We're just the voices of doom and gloom, pissing everyone off with our constant whining.

After all, it's such a bee-yoo-ti-ful new Stadium. How can we not be thrilled?

Leave a comment:

• Swoboda4
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    3 Years is a bit optimistic, but I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that a new-new-Yankee Stadium will be rebuilt onto the current site (south of 161st) within 40 years from now

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Have you guys checked out prices for tickets to the last game yet?

I saw one up on stubhub for 16k
    This isn't the forum to discuss, but...

Never pay attention to the highest price on StubHub. The media likes to latch onto those numbers for shock value, but the truth is any Joe can post his tickets there for any price. Some guy was selling a suite for the last game at one point for $5,000,000.

The true market for the last game currently stands at about $300 per ticket for Tier Reserved seats, and a bit less than that for bleachers. Anywhere else is all over the map.

The reason tickets are so expensive is pretty obvious, there's no supply (most ticket holders not selling at any price) and there's huge demand (every baseball fan on earth wants to be at the last game in the most historic stadium).

I think that if we get to September and the Yankees are out of contention, tickets will be going for $500+. If they look like they're going to be in the playoffs, I'd say they could be had for around $200. Either way there's going to be a big ceremony with distinguished guests and all the old timers

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Have you guys checked out prices for tickets to the last game yet?

I saw one up on stubhub for 16k

Leave a comment:

• six4three
    replied
    I'd tend to agree, though I see the timeline as being a little farther off than 40 years.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X