Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YankeeFanBx
    • Mar 2008

Yankee Stadium , as we have know it, will not be host to any more baseball games after this season. If you were there and sat in the stadium before it's renovation or have only known the confines of the b____d stadium (to some) masquerading as Yankee Stadium, it's gone.
    My thoughts are these (who really cares but me), Ruth ,Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris , Jackson, Jeter, Cobb, Robinson, Kaline, Aaron, Mays, Seaver, Paige, Gibson and all the thousands of others who have played there, have all called it Yankee Stadium. No matter the roof, frieze, concourse, flag poles, scoreboard, turf, walls, or whatever was there or gone when they played there, you can bet a dollar to a doughnut, they knew they had played at Yankee Stadium.
    I'm pretty sure Ruth would know where he was if he could drive there today, 161st.Street and River Ave.
    He knocked a few out of there and I'm sure he knocked a few back there too.
    I remember the old and the renovated, changed for sure, but always Yankee Stadium.
    I guess I'm just pro Yankee Stadium, however much changed or wherever it's located.:twocents:
    Last edited by YankeeFanBx; 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM.
    :gt:gt

Comment

• David Atkatz
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
      Why do you assume I'd say Lincoln slept at the current White House, he clearly didn't based on the facts you just presented. But unlike the current Yankee Stadium, the current White House isn't a 70's design and would deserve to be saved.

There's some structure left over from the original Penn Station within the current Penn Station tunnels, are you saying that's the same too?

Yankee stadium wasn't renovated, it was torn apart and rebuilt - minus the underlying steel and concrete.
      You basically don't know what you're talking about.

Penn Station was completely demolished Nothing remaons but a small piece of men's room floor and a few glass bricks. Hardly a comparison.

How can the Stadium be a "70s design" when 80% or so of the original Stadium remains--including the vast majority of the architectural detail?

What don't you understand about the fact that the corridors are the same, the rooms, the ramps, the concourses? (Yes--there's a new one, but the old one is still there.)

They added ten rows to the upper deck, removed the roof, the frieze, the columns, and the architectural detail on Gates 4 and 6. How hard would that have been to restore?

Not very.

Everything else remains.

It was not torn down and rebuilt.

It was not gutted and rebuilt.

I'm sure you're another one who's never been to the pre-renovation Stadium, and thus has no basis for making a comparison.

Comment

• YankeeStadium1923
        • Feb 2008

Man you sure do like to cling to those two pictures like it's your baby blanket. Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
        I certainly do cling on to the two comparison pictures I posted 5 times...and you still can't see it's the same structure.

The only thing that makes me all warm and fuzzy is that photo I see of Michael Douglas.
        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• DM23MVP
          • Apr 2008

I don't understand why so many people hate the new stadium. I've been a Yankees fan for over 30 years, I've been a full season ticket holder since 1992, I've been to hundreds of games at the current stadium, and I think a new ballpark is long overdue. As much as I love the current place, it's got to rank as one of the worst places in MLB to attend a game, the seating is cramped, getting around the concourses is a nightmare, and the sightlines aren't the greatest, especially if you sit in the tier. From my current seats, which is behind homeplate in the lower part of the tier, I've never seen a play in the left field corner.

The new stadium is a work of art, absolutely stunning, I don't understand all the people who get angry that it's not an exact replica of the original, it's not intended to be, it's an interpretation of the original. It's meant to have the same general look, but it looks so much better. I can't wait until Opening Day 2009 when I park my butt in my brand new seat at the most state of the art facility in MLB.

I'll miss the old stadium for sentimental reasons, but I'm going to love going to the new stadium for many years to come.
          Last edited by DM23MVP; 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• YankeeStadium1923
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by yankees82 View Post
            He wants to stick to his theory that since they left most of the outerwalls up, that it's still the same structure, not to be mistaken for anything else. Forget the fact that upperdeck and upper concourse was drastically changed, roof/frieze was removed, columns were removed, bleachers completely transformed and downsized, and field dimensions were drastically changed. Don't forget about the 2 escalator towers at gate 4 and 6.

But hey the outer facade is still there!! Landmark the place!!
            Some Yankee fan you are.....The renovated Stadium has just as much history as the Pre-renovated Stadium.....So regardless if you feel it's original or not....It's a part of Yankee legacy......
            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• GordonGecko
              On the Inside
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
              You basically don't know what you're talking about.

Penn Station was completely demolished Nothing remaons but a small piece of men's room floor and a few glass bricks. Hardly a comparison.

How can the Stadium be a "70s design" when 80% or so of the original Stadium remains--including the vast majority of the architectural detail?

What don't you understand about the fact that the corridors are the same, the rooms, the ramps, the concourses? (Yes--there's a new one, but the old one is still there.)

They added ten rows to the upper deck, removed the roof, the frieze, the columns, and the architectural detail on Gates 4 and 6. How hard would that have been to restore?

Not very.

Everything else remains.

It was not torn down and rebuilt.

It was not gutted and rebuilt.

I'm sure you're another one who's never been to the pre-renovation Stadium, and thus has no basis for making a comparison.
              There's not much point responding to your posts any more, you're stuck in the past. The place was gutted, the original Yankee Stadium is gone forever
              Attached Files

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                • Sep 2007

You can keep the old corridors, ramps, and concourses. They suck. I'll be enjoying myself in the new ballpark.:cap:
                Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                  • Sep 2007

Architecturally, the current Yankee Stadium shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Roman Coliseum. There's not much architecture there left to salvage, it's way past its useful life, and the time has come to say thank you and move on.
                  When you say that it's way past its useful life, you ARE talking about the current Yankee Stadium, correct?
                  Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• GordonGecko
                    On the Inside
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
                    When you say that it's way past its useful life, you ARE talking about the current Yankee Stadium, correct?
                    Indeed, thanks for the memories. Rebuilt Yankee Stadium II served its purpose, so lets close it out in style and go nuts in '09 at the new place

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by DM23MVP View Post
                      I don't understand why so many people hate the new stadium. I've been a Yankees fan for over 30 years, I've been a full season ticket holder since 1992, I've been to hundreds of games at the current stadium, and I think a new ballpark is long overdue. As much as I love the current place, it's got to rank as one of the worst places in MLB to attend a game, the seating is cramped, getting around the concourses is a nightmare, and the sightlines aren't the greatest, especially if you sit in the tier. From my current seats, which is behind homeplate in the lower part of the tier, I've never seen a play in the left field corner.

The new stadium is a work of art, absolutely stunning, I don't understand all the people who get angry that it's not an exact replica of the original, it's not intended to be, it's an interpretation of the original. It's meant to have the same general look, but it looks so much better. I can't wait until Opening Day 2009 when I park my butt in my brand new seat at the most state of the art facility in MLB.

I'll miss the old stadium for sentimental reasons, but I'm going to love going to the new stadium for many years to come.
                      I agree 100%.

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                        • Sep 2007

Indeed, thanks for the memories. Rebuilt Yankee Stadium II served its purpose, so lets close it out in style and go nuts in '09 at the new place
                        I'd like to see them close out Yankee Stadium in the winter with the Rangers crushing the Islanders.

Comment

• MarcianoNY
                          • Apr 2008

I'd like to see them close out Yankee Stadium in the winter with the Rangers crushing the Islanders.
                          I don't know, its gotta be a Yankee game. They're gonna have all kinds of ceremonies, and then to have a hockey game after that? That'll be very anti-climatic. As far as the Rangers game goes, they should just wait and have it in the new stadium
                          Last edited by MarcianoNY; 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• YankeeStadium1923
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
                            First of all, watch your language, and stop hyperventilating. No reason to throw around the word "lies". I am not lying. You may have a point about a deal being "orchestrated", but you don't understand Landmarks law. To repeat, I am a former Chairman of a local Landmarks Preservation Board (not NYC), so I know what I am talking about. Re-read my post. I am looking at YS as pure architectural specimen. One of the first tests a Board uses is the simple question of whether or not the original builders would substantially recognize the structure. It can be objectively proven that YS was drastically changed in 1973-4. Of course SOME characteristics remain, but not enough.

Your point, "Any building in NYC that is 30 years or older can qualify for Landmark status....So the renovated Yankee Stadium was eligible for Landmark status on April 15, 2006." is partially correct. It is eligible to submit an application for landmarking. Every building that applies is not automatically granted landmark status. Reality is very FEW applications are granted landmark status. It is designed to be stringent. So sure, YS could APPLY for landmarking, but it could not GET landmarked, because an insufficient percentage of the building is original. And that is not subject to emotional interpretation. As for the renovated 1975 stadium being landmarked, go ahead and apply. You'll need to argue that it is a fine example of 1970's architecture. As I have said on other posts, that would honestly be a fascinating application to write, but again, every application faces an uphill battle before being landmarked.

And what's with the "Mr. Met" comment? Did I bring up any Met/Yankee crap?
                            I think I am being pretty civil and courteous. I am actually showing an appreciation for Yankee history. Ease up, killer.
                            You mentioned that "The original Osborne detailing was removed"....When in fact it is still there today.

As for Landmark applications you mention "every application faces an uphill battle before being landmarked." It took Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis 30 years to save Grand Central Station....And I would guess she had more Political prowess they I do....

Do you really think that NYC was going to grant Landmark status to Yankee Stadium when the land Yankee Stadium currently occupies is needed for a conversion to parkland to comply with the Community Benefits Agreement. This whole process began when Randy Levine was Deputy Mayor under Guilianni. He then negotiated the collective bargaining agreement with MLB which allows teams to deduct the costs of building a new stadium from revenue sharing...So MLB will be subsidizing the new ballpark. He then became the President of the New York Yankees. A orchestrated 10 year plan to get the Yankees a new Ballpark.....

So do you really think that Randy Levine and his croinies was going to allow Landmark status to get in the way of building a new palace for Steinbrenner.....
                            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
                              I don't know, its gotta be a Yankee game. They're gonna have all kinds of ceremonies, and then to have a hockey game after that? That'll be very anti-climatic. As far as the Rangers game goes, they should just wait and have it in the new stadium

What if the Yankees are out of the playoff picture by the time they get to the last regular season home game versus the Orioles, and lose? That would be very anti-climactic too. With Posada and ARod on the DL, and Hughes and Kennedy looking terrible, that's a possibility.

Comment

• YankeeStadium1923
                                • Feb 2008

What if the Yankees are out of the playoff picture by the time they get to the last regular season home game versus the Orioles, and lose? That would be very anti-climactic too. With Posada and ARod on the DL, and Hughes and Kennedy looking terrible, that's a possibility.
                                It may be a long Summer.....From the interview with Cashman last night on the Post game, Hughes may be removed from the starting rotation....And now Boomer is talking about how the Yankees are saying Hughes doesn't like pitching at night....Always a load of excuses with the Yankess.....He had no problem last year and the end of the season and in the Playoffs...Night and all....
                                Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X