Old Baseball Stadium Seat Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Baseball Stadium Seat Color

I have an old stadium seat that I painted royal blue. I would like to paint it the old Yankee Stadium's funky green seat color. I believe it was changed to the familiar blue after 1967. Billy Crystal's movie *61 shows the funky mint green that had to be painted onto Tiger Stadium to dress it up like old Yankee Stadium.

My request, really my plea, is to find that color. Does anybody know the formula I could take to Home Depot or Lowe's or do you possibly have a "green" paint chip. If I have to I'll paint it the Yankee Blue. I'm just trying to dress up my seat, not do anything underhanded. This thread proves that:

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=76159 posts 17 and 18

My seat is from Fulton County Stadium and Memorial Stadium but I always wanted a Yankee Stadium Seat and I would like the proper color to "dress" mine up. Thanks for any help. I also mailed a letter to Billy Crystal asking for help. All the guys selling Yankee Stadium seats will not give me their "secret formula". How do I know they're real Yankee Stadium seats?
    Last edited by cgcoyne2; 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

http://www.ggumcard.com/images/Yanke...um%20Seats.jpg

I'm sure someone has a better picture of the green seats. Those ones you can see were the repained blue (before the renovation), but you can see the blue has almost completely worn off showing the original green.

Sampling that photo in photoshop, finding the best green patch I can find, gets you this color:

Its RGB values are:

R: 202
    G: 219
    B: 203

However, bear in mind those numbers will be subject to whatever errors there are in the original image, which can be affected by the camera (white balance, exposure, etc) and lighting conditions.

If you bring those three values to Home Depot or whatever, I believe they can create a paint mix using those RGB values. Here are the color values in other formats:

C: 21%
    M: 5%
    Y: 21%
    K: 0%

-------

H: 124 degrees
    S: 8%
    B: 86%

Here are 3 other colors I obtained by sampling the image.

(the color above is the top left color of this grid):

If you need/want any of those color values, let me know.
    New York Yankees
    New York Rangers
    New York Giants

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the upper deck seats at Dodger stadium are the exact color mint green of the old Yankee Stadium seats.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys. When using the RGB values in MS Paint, it seems a little light. I'm getting closer.:bowdown:
        Last edited by cgcoyne2; 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM.
        Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
          Thanks guys. When using the RGB values in MS Paint, it seems a little light. I'm getting closer.:bowdown:
          You have to remember that your computer monitor (just like all monitors) are very rarely going to display an accurate color representation of what a real paint swatch would look like under normal lighting conditions. Some computer monitors are AWFUL at color accuracy, and may be bad at displaying at one particular color. CRT monitors (as opposed to flat panel LCD) are often times even worse with age, as the phosphors age the colors become washed out and extremely inaccurate.

Most colors on computer monitors are less saturated and often much lighter looking that they are in person, especially when the object is under "normal" interior lighting.

Additionally, our eyes can play SERIOUS tricks on us, based on the surrounding area of a color... A light green swatch set against a black background looks much lighter than one against a white background... For example:

The green strip in the middle of that picture is the same color green from the chair above all the way across, yet it can appear to "fade" in color/brightness across the image due to the gradient in the background.

This may even exaggerate the effect a bit more:

Last edited by Pinstripes; 04-29-2008, 12:27 AM.
          New York Yankees
          New York Rangers
          New York Giants

Comment

Here's an even bigger kick in the pants:

The squares labelled "A" and "B" are the exact same identical color/lightness/everything.

Here's an animated gif that "proves" it (no colors change during the animation):

Last edited by Pinstripes; 04-29-2008, 12:37 AM.
            New York Yankees
            New York Rangers
            New York Giants

Comment

Thanks pinstripes. I really do appreciate it.:bowdown:

Comment

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                I have an old stadium seat that I painted royal blue. I would like to paint it the old Yankee Stadium's funky green seat color. I believe it was changed to the familiar blue after 1967. Billy Crystal's movie *61 shows the funky mint green that had to be painted onto Tiger Stadium to dress it up like old Yankee Stadium.

My request, really my plea, is to find that color. Does anybody know the formula I could take to Home Depot or Lowe's or do you possibly have a "green" paint chip. If I have to I'll paint it the Yankee Blue. I'm just trying to dress up my seat, not do anything underhanded. This thread proves that:

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=76159 posts 17 and 18

My seat is from Fulton County Stadium and Memorial Stadium but I always wanted a Yankee Stadium Seat and I would like the proper color to "dress" mine up. Thanks for any help. I also mailed a letter to Billy Crystal asking for help. All the guys selling Yankee Stadium seats will not give me their "secret formula". How do I know they're real Yankee Stadium seats?
                I restored a double Yankee Stadium Grandstand Seat and matched the colors from the original paint. My plan was to repaint the Mint Green underneath the Royal Blue. I opted not to use the Mint Green because oil based paints tend to be messy. So I took my time repainting 3 coats with the Royal Blue.

I may still have the unopened full gallon can in my garage. I will have to do a search...

Where are you located?
                Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

No problem, glad to help!

What I would suggest doing is maybe see if they can make a sample color or paint swatch card for you, using the numbers I gave you. Test it out in your house, in the location where the chairs will be, see how it looks under those lighting conditions.

You can always have them darken it a bit, too.

Then you could have them mix up a small batch for you that you could paint some wood to test as well.

I would recommend that if you're going to paint the chairs, sand them down of any paint as much as possible, paint them with a quality primer, then paint them the mint green color. You'll get the best results that way.

In a case like this, getting the exact accurate color of the old seats is probably unlikely, so just go with what you think looks approximately right. Maybe even go into Home Depot or Lowes and look through the existing paint swatches for something close to the green of the old seats.

Good luck!
                  New York Yankees
                  New York Rangers
                  New York Giants

Comment

coming soon: what brand of mustard and toilet paper did they use before the rennovation?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      coming soon: what brand of mustard and toilet paper did they use before the rennovation?
                      The brand of Mustard is easy..Just look through old yearbooks and scorecards....
                      As for toilet paper......Just about any would do.....Toilet paper hasn't been high on Steinbrenner's list of bathroom maintenance during his tenure as owner.
                      Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

Here's a few colors I think could be close to the Yankee green.
                        Attached Files
                        ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                          I restored a double Yankee Stadium Grandstand Seat and matched the colors from the original paint. My plan was to repaint the Mint Green underneath the Royal Blue. I opted not to use the Mint Green because oil based paints tend to be messy. So I took my time repainting 3 coats with the Royal Blue.

I may still have the unopened full gallon can in my garage. I will have to do a search...

Where are you located?
                          I'm in Rahway, New Jersey!! Thanks for any consideration.

Comment

Benjamin Moore Lehigh Green is a very close match (HC -131 / PH-131)

I used that I my YS seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
                              Here's a few colors I think could be close to the Yankee green.
                              I think those have a slightly too neon/pastel look (to my eyes anyway). The pictures I've seen make the seats look a bit less saturated than that. Although, those do have a look that's closer to sunlit oxidized copper (ie the frieze), which might be why they chose that green color in the first place, to match the frieze a bit.
                              Last edited by Pinstripes; 04-29-2008, 10:14 PM.
                              New York Yankees
                              New York Rangers
                              New York Giants

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X