Concession Markup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concession Markup

I'm not rich. I'm not poor. I live in a fleeting place that historians will refer to as "middle class" to bewildered school children a few decades from now. With that in mind, I'm getting a little verklempf. Here's a subject to discuss amongst yourselves: $8.81 for a 12 of Miller Lite at the store, $7.00 for 1 warm Miller Lite from a can at the game. $3.75 for 8 hot dogs and 8 buns at the store, $4.50 for 1 friggin' hot dog at the game. 50 cents for a can of pop at work, $4.00 for a medium pop (in a non-souvenir cup) at the game. $20 to park you car for 3 hours (this is Cleveland, I know our friends in Chicago/Boston/etc. might feel $20 is a deal). Look, I already know I have the option to take the train and not buy food - and that's exactly what I do. But c'mon, this is complete bullshavingcream. I don't know, share your opinion, compare your stadium to others, or find the most ridiculous markup in all of sports concessions. When is enough going to be enough when it comes to gouging people who are a captive audience?

Heck, you could add movie theatres to that ($.05 worth of popcorn, maybe $.10 for the container, charge $8.00).

Or airplanes, or anywhere else where they have a captive audience with few other choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
      When is enough going to be enough when it comes to gouging people who are a captive audience?
      When people stop going to games/movies because of the ridiculous prices. Some places are worse than others. The Primanti Brothers stands at PNC Park charge $6.50 for their cheesesteak. The same cheesesteak is $6.25 at any of their 5 Pittsburgh-area restaurants. I think hot dogs, beers, and sodas are the biggest offenders of mark-up at the ballpark, and you did a good job of describing the mark-up on those items. The prices vary, but for the most part those prices are about "average" for the majors.
      LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

This might not be a surprise, and I am not sure about other parks but Yankee Stadium has to be the worst! The food is horrible and it's expesive as hell, I hope it gets better when the new stadium opens. almost $9 for a watered down bud in a plastic cup when I am use to paying at the most $5 for a pint of Guinness in a bar, the most I get foodwise in the stadium is a hotdog usally I get one from a hotdog cart outside. I saw a guy last time I was a game with a ton of food, chicken fingers, nachos, hottdogs ect. I thought man that must cost him like $50!
        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
          When people stop going to games/movies because of the ridiculous prices. Some places are worse than others. The Primanti Brothers stands at PNC Park charge $6.50 for their cheesesteak. The same cheesesteak is $6.25 at any of their 5 Pittsburgh-area restaurants. I think hot dogs, beers, and sodas are the biggest offenders of mark-up at the ballpark, and you did a good job of describing the mark-up on those items. The prices vary, but for the most part those prices are about "average" for the majors.
          In this particular case the Pirates, stadium concessionaire and Primanti Brothers are each getting a cut from sales.

It is like this at all stadiums. And the concessionaire's chief concern (or so was the one I heard speaking) was the PER CAPS! They wanted the average amount each person spent at the stadium to be a certain level.

Comment

I worked with a guy years ago who was the regional manager of AMA - I believe it's called Aramark now. He had the concession business at Memorial Stadium in MD and at the Vet - among a slew of other places he had to oversee. Now he wasn't day to day overseeing the ball parks but they were under his purview and he had a basic understanding of the situation. He would tell me that local, state and federal taxes accounted for nearly 50% of that retail prices of foods and other concessions.

Comment

They are charging the amount that when multiplied by consumption maximizes revenue. It's the American way. If they can sell 20,000 beers at $7.50 a piece they won't lower the price to $6 unless they are sure they will sell well over 25,000 beers. And it is important to note that what it costs them is irrelevant.

The price won't go down unless consumption goes down.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

All, I know is I feel as though I'm being taken advantage of every time I buy a beer at Comerica.... they're now charging 6.50 for a 12 ounce beer or 8.50 for a 16 ounce beer.

What makes it even more frusterating or demeaning is they poor the 12 ounce beer into a 24 ounce plastic cup..... so it "looks" as though your getting even less... if you were walking away from the concession sipping the foam of the top, you feel a bit better then when you hand some one a 10 for a single beer (and a bit of change) and they hand you back a half empty cup.

Yet, how can I complain when I continue to pay it?

Comment

On the base level, it is simple economics (the American way!!) and I was unaware of the large taxation faced here...but still... Graphs, pie charts, labor costs, etc. can't stop me from feeling fleeced when I'm forced to dump or toss anything I may have brought from home into a dumpster and then pay an 800% price increase should I desire a hot dog and a cup of my hooch (Diet Pepsi, of course) at a baseball game. Which brings me to part II of my rant this week:

I hate the layout of Jacobs Field. I had my sons at a game a few weeks ago, these boys have been to PNC, Wrigley, and mostly Jacobs Field errrrrrrrr Progressive Fie.......nope, Jacobs Field. Anyway, we discussed stadium layout as the question was how can a stadium seemingly so much bigger than Wrigley have a similar capacity (this discussion occurred about halfway up the upper deck). The answer is in the mostly empty that night luxury boxes (yes, the narrower Wrigley seats were mentioned as a side note). Let's say there's 15,000 lower bowl seats, 3000 in the bleachers, and 20,000 in the upper deck (and these are merely guestimates). That leaves 3000 seats in the box/mezzanine level for the "big spenders." Have you ever sat in the upper deck at that stadium? The should hand out hats with red lights on the top so you don't get struck by an aircraft. 20,000 people having to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere after a game so that 3000 people can mingle at the club. I don't like it.

The worst part is, we'll hit a game this month - inevitably we'll drive and pay to park, get hungry and eat, and sit in the upper deck. Either I'm a chump or a good dad.....or maybe sometimes you gotta be a little bit chump to be a good parent.

Comment

Only an idiot would charge less for their concessions when they know people are still willing to pay through the nose.

Perhaps an organized concession strike? Imagine a game where no one bought anything? THAT would send a message maybe. Except you'd be hurting the people selling the concessions too--I think they get a commission.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
                      Except you'd be hurting the people selling the concessions too--I think they get a commission.
                      I dunno about that one anymore, although the vendors who actually walk the stands still get a commission (hence the old timers sell beer and the new guy sells light sticks). I used to sell programs, I mean Game Face Magazines, at Cleveland Stadium - and that was all commission. Really, it was a great high school job...show up early and shag fly balls on the field for early, early, extra visiting team BP, sell from when the gates opened until the 2nd inning, and then watch the game. A good night could bring in $100, a slow one about $15. But, when you're 18, who cares? Now those guys do the same thing for about $7 an hour and don't get to watch the game.

Yes, only an idiot would lower prices when people are willing to pay it. But doesn't somewhere in the world of economics exist a principle regarding supply and demand that might relate to moving more product if those who currently avoid the product at that price might be more inclined to purchase it? I majored in Sport Management, so I'm just a dummmm shirt on such matters.

Speaking of which, the Indians have these "Dollar Dog Nights." I went to one last year. The concession stands looked like ant farms with people falling all over each other to pay a dollar for a dog that would have cost 35 cents at home. Of course, as indicated in previous posts, I begrudgingly joined the fray. Kinda hard to cook hot dogs in time to feed Americans in their 54 waist britches when the feeding frenzy has begun....so those suckers were not even lukewarm.

Hmmmm...a concessions strike.... Problem is, massive activities such as protest strikes/walkouts never work. Most people don't give a crap about other peoples angst on such trivial matters as $4 hot dogs. They'd rather just pay it and watch the game. And so it goes on and on....

Comment

I see this at a game every time I go:

row of drunks in front of me

"you guys ready for another round?"
                        "yeah"x3

"yo beerman!! 4 MGDs!"

"27 bucks! (i think the beers are 6.75 now)"

--they hand over 30 and tell the guy to keep the change--

process repeats in a half hour and the next guy buys a round. They charge this much because they can and goofballs will continue to pay for it.

There's nothing wrong with having a dog and a beer at the game, but most people don't know how to quit. I go to a lot of games at USCF and Wrigley and at each place there are thousands of drunks just trying to drink as much as they can.

Where they get the money I have no idea.

Comment

Hmmmm...a concessions strike.... Problem is, massive activities such as protest strikes/walkouts never work. Most people don't give a crap about other peoples angst on such trivial matters as $4 hot dogs. They'd rather just pay it and watch the game. And so it goes on and on....
                          What we/ppl should do is pick a day far into the future and then promote the hell out of it... like June 10th 2009... The start emailing mike&mike every morning, different sports journalist... email chain letters with a link to the boycott, call local news stations (smaller market ones looking for any story to run with) and finally get volunteers to pass out fliers at games starting like a week before.... on game day, post the photocopied signs all over the stadium and light posts (until security chases you off).....

COME ON!!!! WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!?!

Comment

I dunno about that one anymore, although the vendors who actually walk the stands still get a commission (hence the old timers sell beer and the new guy sells light sticks)
                            The way I think it works at USCF is that the beer vendors "buy" whatever amount of beer they can carry in that little tub they walk around with at a lower price and charge the higher pre-set amount. So they keep the profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions/[email protected]! View Post
                              What we/ppl should do is pick a day far into the future and then promote the hell out of it... like June 10th 2009... The start emailing mike&mike every morning, different sports journalist... email chain letters with a link to the boycott, call local news stations (smaller market ones looking for any story to run with) and finally get volunteers to pass out fliers at games starting like a week before.... on game day, post the photocopied signs all over the stadium and light posts (until security chases you off).....

COME ON!!!! WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!?!
                              Imagine that nation-wide on the same day........ahhhh the glory of Revolution!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X