Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions/Tigers@Cubs.OhMy!
    replied
    All, I know is I feel as though I'm being taken advantage of every time I buy a beer at Comerica.... they're now charging 6.50 for a 12 ounce beer or 8.50 for a 16 ounce beer.

What makes it even more frusterating or demeaning is they poor the 12 ounce beer into a 24 ounce plastic cup..... so it "looks" as though your getting even less... if you were walking away from the concession sipping the foam of the top, you feel a bit better then when you hand some one a 10 for a single beer (and a bit of change) and they hand you back a half empty cup.

Yet, how can I complain when I continue to pay it?

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    They are charging the amount that when multiplied by consumption maximizes revenue. It's the American way. If they can sell 20,000 beers at $7.50 a piece they won't lower the price to $6 unless they are sure they will sell well over 25,000 beers. And it is important to note that what it costs them is irrelevant.

The price won't go down unless consumption goes down.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    I worked with a guy years ago who was the regional manager of AMA - I believe it's called Aramark now. He had the concession business at Memorial Stadium in MD and at the Vet - among a slew of other places he had to oversee. Now he wasn't day to day overseeing the ball parks but they were under his purview and he had a basic understanding of the situation. He would tell me that local, state and federal taxes accounted for nearly 50% of that retail prices of foods and other concessions.

Leave a comment:

• Astros
    replied
    Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
    When people stop going to games/movies because of the ridiculous prices. Some places are worse than others. The Primanti Brothers stands at PNC Park charge $6.50 for their cheesesteak. The same cheesesteak is $6.25 at any of their 5 Pittsburgh-area restaurants. I think hot dogs, beers, and sodas are the biggest offenders of mark-up at the ballpark, and you did a good job of describing the mark-up on those items. The prices vary, but for the most part those prices are about "average" for the majors.
    In this particular case the Pirates, stadium concessionaire and Primanti Brothers are each getting a cut from sales.

It is like this at all stadiums. And the concessionaire's chief concern (or so was the one I heard speaking) was the PER CAPS! They wanted the average amount each person spent at the stadium to be a certain level.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    This might not be a surprise, and I am not sure about other parks but Yankee Stadium has to be the worst! The food is horrible and it's expesive as hell, I hope it gets better when the new stadium opens. almost $9 for a watered down bud in a plastic cup when I am use to paying at the most $5 for a pint of Guinness in a bar, the most I get foodwise in the stadium is a hotdog usally I get one from a hotdog cart outside. I saw a guy last time I was a game with a ton of food, chicken fingers, nachos, hottdogs ect. I thought man that must cost him like $50!

Leave a comment:

• BeatEmBucs
    replied
    Originally posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
    When is enough going to be enough when it comes to gouging people who are a captive audience?
    When people stop going to games/movies because of the ridiculous prices. Some places are worse than others. The Primanti Brothers stands at PNC Park charge $6.50 for their cheesesteak. The same cheesesteak is $6.25 at any of their 5 Pittsburgh-area restaurants. I think hot dogs, beers, and sodas are the biggest offenders of mark-up at the ballpark, and you did a good job of describing the mark-up on those items. The prices vary, but for the most part those prices are about "average" for the majors.

Leave a comment:

• six4three
    replied
    Heck, you could add movie theatres to that ($.05 worth of popcorn, maybe $.10 for the container, charge $8.00).

Or airplanes, or anywhere else where they have a captive audience with few other choices.

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Shakey
    started a topic Concession Markup

Concession Markup

I'm not rich. I'm not poor. I live in a fleeting place that historians will refer to as "middle class" to bewildered school children a few decades from now. With that in mind, I'm getting a little verklempf. Here's a subject to discuss amongst yourselves: $8.81 for a 12 of Miller Lite at the store, $7.00 for 1 warm Miller Lite from a can at the game. $3.75 for 8 hot dogs and 8 buns at the store, $4.50 for 1 friggin' hot dog at the game. 50 cents for a can of pop at work, $4.00 for a medium pop (in a non-souvenir cup) at the game. $20 to park you car for 3 hours (this is Cleveland, I know our friends in Chicago/Boston/etc. might feel $20 is a deal). Look, I already know I have the option to take the train and not buy food - and that's exactly what I do. But c'mon, this is complete bullshavingcream. I don't know, share your opinion, compare your stadium to others, or find the most ridiculous markup in all of sports concessions. When is enough going to be enough when it comes to gouging people who are a captive audience?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X