Roadside Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Baseball

Next year, the second edition of my book, Roadside Baseball, is being released. In addition to the 500 or so historic baseball sites, plaques, museums, markers, memorials, etc. I'm adding about 100 new places.

Given the power of this amazing forum, I thought I'd pose the question--anything in your neck of the weeks you'd like to submit for consideration? A long-forgotten field or marker or something? You'll get a signed copy of the book if it gets used, plus a first edition copy, and print credit of course. I've scoured the country for a couple of years but I know there's more out there--anyway, thanks in advance.

chris

(my email is [email protected])

FYI--if you're not sure about the content, here's the publisher blurb (And both Joe Buck and Ken Burns wrote great forewords)

Book Description
    Roadside Baseball is a fascinating read as well as a fantastic travel guide and history book all in one. Baseball’s rich history is celebrated in Cooperstown, N.Y., but it’s only a glimpse of baseball’s storied past. Baseball history lives in the city streets of Brooklyn to the country fields of Iowa. It’s in these places you’ll find birthplaces, shrines, museums, final resting places and out-of-the-way spots where Baseball’s history was made or still is preserved. Buckminster Hotel, (Boston, MA), where the "Black Sox" planned their fix of the ’19 Series; Original "Little League" field and Museum in Willimsport, PA; Birthplace of Jackie Robinson in Cairo, GA; Fayetteville, NC, where Babe Ruth hit his first professional Home Run; Baxter Springs, KS, where Mickey Mantle was discovered by Yankees Scout Tom Greenwade; Kansas City, MO, birthplace and location of the Negro League Hall of Fame; Wrigley Field, Los Angeles, CA, the first stadium named Wrigley Field, 1925 – 1966; Information and selected photos for over 500 baseball historical sights; Regional, state-by-state layout.

St. Bonaventure University in Olean, NY has a long baseball history; John Mcgraw and Hugh Jennings went there and perfected the Baltimore chop in the basement of one of the buildings on campus. Babe Ruth and the 1923 Yankees came to speak at the school and barnstorm. When the campus baseball field opened in 1925, Mcgraw came with his Giants and played the school team. The current school field is named Mcgraw-Jennings field.
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 05-04-2008, 06:10 PM.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

In Bowling Green, Virginia, right off the side of US 301, there is a small, older style wood and cinderblock ballpark.

Unfortunately, there is no designation or historical marker next to the park, but I know i had to served a purpose, whether simply for recreational use or a low level minor league team years ago.

Thankfully, Eric Pastore also came across the park and did an album on it:

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Amateur/Bowling.html

Apparently, it is called "The Annex" but that is about all that is known about the place. Driving by the park on my trips through Virginia, I was always very curious about it and what its history might be.

Comment

al lang field in st. pete just had its last season of spring training. Guess it would have helped to get shots from the last games. They do have some great plaques around that area of great spring training moments from all 3 al langs.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

thanks!

Good info--keep it coming!

Comment

When the Super Bowl came to Detroit a few years back, there was an article in one of the Detroit papers listing various area sports-related locales, including a few Ty Cobb homes. I'll try to find it and forward the info.

As someone who has not only the original edition of this book but also Mr. Epting's pop culture-related travel guides as well, I will say these are all fascinating reads and musts for the road-tripper.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

thanks!

Captain-thanks so much for that--much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                al lang field in st. pete just had its last season of spring training. Guess it would have helped to get shots from the last games. They do have some great plaques around that area of great spring training moments from all 3 al langs.
                I took a shot of the last pitch of the last game there. It's posted on Al Lang's wikipedia page.

Comment

Originally posted by zengator View Post
                  I took a shot of the last pitch of the last game there. It's posted on Al Lang's wikipedia page.
                  That is so cool!
                  The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post

As someone who has not only the original edition of this book but also Mr. Epting's pop culture-related travel guides as well, I will say these are all fascinating reads and musts for the road-tripper.
                    Same here, I have enjoyed all your books. I have the Elvis, James Dean and Marilyn Roadside books and the Roadside Baseball book as well - they are all very awesome reads. Personally, I like to see "Then and Now" photos shot from the same point of view.

I live in Nashville, TN, so if you come across anything in my neck of the woods that you would like to get a picture of - just PM me, I'd be glad to help you out.

Jason

Comment

Owen Bush Stadium in Indianapolis, IN still stands, on West 16th street in Indianapolis. Long the home of the AAA Indianapolis Indians, Bush Stadium also hosted Negro League baseball for many seasons, and I understand not many of the old Negro League parks remain? It was also the site for the majority of the filming of Eight Men Out.
                      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

There is an army base in Monmouth County, New Jersey named Fort Monmouth. I played on the post's baseball field for a summer league team years ago, and they told us stories of Mickey Mantle and some other old ball players coming to the base and playing the division's baseball team in pick up games. I remember the dugouts being the old-style type, with really steep steps and a cramped bench. It was really cool.

Comment

thanks!

Great replies so far, thanks all--Jason, I'm with you on the then/nows--my favorite part of photography. If you check my site you'll see in a few weeks I have a book coming out called Huntington Beach Then/Now (about the city i live in) The whole book is just then/now comparisons

I may take you up on your offer, too--thanks in advance and thanks for the kind words...

ce

chrisepting.com

Comment

then/now

Jason--this one's for you:

So out in Brea, CA- in 1924, Babe Ruth played a famous barnstorming game against a team led by Walter Johnson. A guy whose son was at the game and shot photos lent them to me for my book--they are amazing and I will post more but here's a comparison--Babe Ruth crossing home after hitting the first of two bombs--

And then here is the site today--home would have been about in the middle of the street, mid-photo...

Last edited by hbwriter; 05-10-2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

keep 'em coming

keep those suggestions coming!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X