No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Stadium / Jack Murphy Stadium / San Diego Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More photos from that beautiful stadium when she was new.

qual500~4.jpg

downloadfile-6 (2)~3.jpg

sta10_file12982.28~5.jpg

1117melstadium2~3.jpg

Comment

• https://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_new...aspx?sid=78125

Escrow has closed on the SDSU's purchase of the Qualcomm Stadium land and the university will break ground this Monday August 17th on its new, and much smaller, football stadium. It will be built in the northwest corner of the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot and will open in 2022.

This assuredly marks the end of Qualcomm Stadium and it will be demolished after the 2021 FBS season.

Comment

• Originally posted by OBomb View Post
        https://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_new...aspx?sid=78125

Escrow has closed on the SDSU's purchase of the Qualcomm Stadium land and the university will break ground this Monday August 17th on its new, and much smaller, football stadium. It will be built in the northwest corner of the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot and will open in 2022.

This assuredly marks the end of Qualcomm Stadium and it will be demolished after the 2021 FBS season.

I liked Qualcomm (actually was still Jack Murphy Stadium when I attended several Padres games there from 1984 to 1993). But with the Padres at Petco and the Chargers in LA, no real need for it. Good deal for SDSU, I've been to their campus and there is definitely not enough room there for a suitable stadium for a Bowl Subdivision program. And it will be a relatively short, one-seat ride on the San Diego Trolley Green Line from the campus to the new stadium.

Comment

• Be interesting to see what happens with the Holiday Bowl - It's always been one of the better of the non-NYD games. I would have to think it will fall even further down in the pecking order given that the new stadium only holds 35,000, It had already been passed by the Alamo Bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmtobehere View Post
            Be interesting to see what happens with the Holiday Bowl - It's always been one of the better of the non-NYD games. I would have to think it will fall even further down in the pecking order given that the new stadium only holds 35,000, It had already been passed by the Alamo Bowl.
            It would be a cruel irony if the Holiday Bowl packs up and moves a 100 or so miles up the road to the new SoFi Stadium in Inglewood (it is scheduled early enough so as to not interfere with the Rose Bowl). Doubtful, but you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommieAgeefan View Post

It would be a cruel irony if the Holiday Bowl packs up and moves a 100 or so miles up the road to the new SoFi Stadium in Inglewood (it is scheduled early enough so as to not interfere with the Rose Bowl). Doubtful, but you never know.
              There's already a bowl game scheduled for that new stadium, basically the old Las Vegas Bowl, it will feature the fifth pick out of the Pac 12 and the Mountain West champ.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmtobehere View Post

There's already a bowl game scheduled for that new stadium, basically the old Las Vegas Bowl, it will feature the fifth pick out of the Pac 12 and the Mountain West champ.
                Interesting. I would have figured they would move the Vegas bowl to the new stadium for the Raiders (Allegiant Stadium?)

Comment

• The Vegas Bowl is moving there - It still exists. I was referring to the match-ups of the game. That's what they changed. "To heighten the profile of the game with its move to Allegiant Stadium, the Las Vegas Bowl announced a new, five-year, alternating tie-in between the SEC and Big Ten beginning 2020. An SEC team will play the Las Vegas Bowl in even-numbered years, while a Big Ten team will play in odd-numbered years."

Comment

• https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-sdccu-stadium

The SDSU Aztecs are the next football team to move (temporarily) to Carson, CA to play at Dignity Health Sports Park due to an inadequate facility where they'll play while they're new home is built.

Sadly, this means SDCCU/Qualcomm/Jack Murphy/San Diego Stadium will see the wrecking ball sooner than expected; around Q1 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by OBomb View Post
                      https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-sdccu-stadium

The SDSU Aztecs are the next football team to move (temporarily) to Carson, CA to play at Dignity Health Sports Park due to an inadequate facility where they'll play while they're new home is built.

Sadly, this means SDCCU/Qualcomm/Jack Murphy/San Diego Stadium will see the wrecking ball sooner than expected; around Q1 2021.
                      Surprised they didn't go with Petco Park. A football field fits there.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old Ballpark View Post

Surprised they didn't go with Petco Park. A football field fits there.
                        Yep, and a one-seat ride on the San Diego Trolley Green Line (I think) from the SDSU campus to Petco. Maybe they didn't want to have to work around the Padres schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommieAgeefan View Post

Yep, and a one-seat ride on the San Diego Trolley Green Line (I think) from the SDSU campus to Petco. Maybe they didn't want to have to work around the Padres schedule.
                          Working around the Padres schedule is exactly the reason why they won't go to Petco Park for the 2 years it will take to build the new facility. However, it's all but certain that the Holiday Bowl will likely move there since that's played in December.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X