No announcement yet.

Tiger Stadium / Briggs Stadium / Navin Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a 1963 proposal for an Olympic stadium in the city of Detroit.
    It really looks as if after the proposed olympic games, this would have been a Tiger Stadium replacement. It appears as if its on the site where Comerica now sits.

The city of Detroit prepared bids for the olympic games from the 30s -late 60s. They came very close for the 68 games. Mexico City won

Here is the entire set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4626706...7623082529285/
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 01-14-2010, 12:17 AM.
    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• lucky that did not happen, olympics/track and field layout and baseball do not mix well...
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
        Here is a 1963 proposal for an Olympic stadium in the city of Detroit.
        It really looks as if after the proposed olympic games, this would have been a Tiger Stadium replacement. It appears as if its on the site where Comerica now sits.

The city of Detroit prepared bids for the olympic games from the 30s -late 60s. They came very close for the 68 games. Mexico City won

Here is the entire set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4626706...7623082529285/
        I wonder if the black glove ordeal would have happened had it been in America and I also wonder if a 3rd world country would have gotten the games ever if Detriot got it?
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
          lucky that did not happen, olympics/track and field layout and baseball do not mix well...
          not always....

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
            not always....
            i was there during the olympic games and most of the seats were at odd angles or so far away that you might as well have been in buckhead.
            the building was set up for baseball and like most of what went there made the '96 games a joke (remember the bombing???)
            the turd in the punchbowl
            reality really sucks.
            enjoy the game more...

Comment

• That Olympic stadium model reminds me of old Riverfront in Cinci with the way the parking garages rose several stories above the ground level concourse.

Yuck!

A nightmare of concrete, but it seems fitting for the motor city at the height of the automobile era.

I'm so glad this didn't happen b/c I wouldn't have been able to hit TS in my lifetime if it had.

However, I think the Lions would have been better off staying outdoors in that division. This stadium might have worked in their favor had the Silver Dome never lured them out of town and indoors. By the time they were due for a new stadium in the 90s, Ford Field might have been an outdoor facility.
              Last edited by RfkFedEx; 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

not always....

]
                I think they should have actually kept the stadium as is for baseball. Reminiscent of Old Old Yankee Stadium, before the right field extension.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                  i was there during the olympic games and most of the seats were at odd angles or so far away that you might as well have been in buckhead.
                  the building was set up for baseball and like most of what went there made the '96 games a joke (remember the bombing???)
                  If you had your rathers....I think they made the right choice in making it a baseball stadium first and olympic stadium 2nd.....otherwise...they would be talking already about a new ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                    I think they should have actually kept the stadium as is for baseball. Reminiscent of Old Old Yankee Stadium, before the right field extension.
                    I think they would have trouble getting anyone to sit in those outfield seats....you are in a different zipcode as the rest of the current stadium. You can see the footprint of the old Olympic part by the road that is still there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlant...h&z=18&iwloc=A
                    Last edited by bandit12; 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

You can see the footprint of the old Olympic part by the road that is still there.
                      I think that was intentional, as a way to memorialize the Olympic Stadium part of the site.

Interesting thought about keeping the place in its original Olympic configuration for baseball... what would the field dimensions have been if they did that?
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I think they would have trouble getting anyone to sit in those outfield seats....l]
                        If they would have left it in that configuration, it would remind me of the Polo grounds, or even the LA colosseum
                        Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Here are some great pics from Tom on Picasa. They really capture the feel of not just Tiger Stadium, but of Detroit.

April 9, 1976

1980 Props to the Motor City Madman!!

Hank Aaron with the Brewers 1975

May 27, 1977

Apr 17, 1979

Parade June 1976

Apr 23, 1978

Apr 27, 1977 I didn't realize Susan Boyle was a Tigers fan....

May 9, 1976
                          Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Mark Wagner Sept 18, 1978

Sept 25, 1977

Jan 1979

May 3, 1977

Next 2 from July 3, 1976

Apr 9, 1976

Sept 1975 Vern Ruhle

Comment

• I dont think i've ever bookmarked a specific thread page in my browser before.

Amazing work. Just wow.

Comment

• Sept 25, 1977

Sept 1975 Tigers vs Yankees w/ Roy White batting

April 27, 1977

Upper deck 1976

April 27, 1977 Palmer gives an autograph

June 1976

Sept 25, 1977 Gotta love the old guy

Sept 1975

Sept 1975

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X