Obtuse angled grandstands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtuse angled grandstands

I was looking at seating diagrams and such, especially over at Andrew Clems site. It seems that at least Braves Field and Tiger Stadium were built where the main grandstands were built at an obtuse angle rather than at a right angle or an acute angle like a majority of parks are built. Tiger Stadium isn't as obvious as Braves Field. I wonder why they were built this way.
    sigpic

The structure of Braves Field itself doesn't seem that bad to me, although it definitely isn't on a right, or acute angle. What makes it look especially off is that the field itself seems turned too far clockwise.

Comment

stlfan, The obtuse angle is an interesting observation. My only guess is that due to the restricted site in which the ballpark was built, the designers (Osborn) found they can yeild a slightly higher seat count by "fanning" out the geometry behind home plate which in turn, would permit larger and deeper bleacher sections on otherwise a small site.

Comment

This is Salem Municipal/Kiwanis Field, one-time home of the Salem Bucs (Carolina League).

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post

This is Salem Municipal/Kiwanis Field, one-time home of the Salem Bucs (Carolina League).
          Is this where some of the old Yankee Stadium seats went during the Yankee Stadium renovation?
          Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

Obtuse angled grandstands

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
            Is this where some of the old Yankee Stadium seats went during the Yankee Stadium renovation?
            I am wondering about Yankee Stadium and I also am wondering about Dodger Stadium.

Comment

Wrigley Field is rotated about 7 degrees counter clockwise.
              Here is the way the field would be if it were laid out square
              with the stands.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                That's right.

Comment

Tiger Stadium and Wrigley Field weren't built with obtuse-angled grandstands as such. Like another poster previously illustrated, those parks' grandstands were right angles originally parallel with the foul lines: the teams later rotated the diamond so that one side moves into the field, while the other moves away.

Here's another park to add to the list: Gill Stadium in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Comment

I think the reason Wrigley's is so strange is because early in the parks life (I believe before they double decked it) the stands on the first base side were completely moved more towards the street. Does anyone have the complete story?
                    sigpic

Comment

Found this on www.ballparktour.com regarding Braves Field in Boston.

" When the dead ball era ended in the 1920's as Babe Ruth was practically re-inventing the home run, many ballparks reconfigured their dimensions to take advantage of the new homer craze. Braves Field was no exception. In 1928 the Braves moved in the fences substantially, added bleacher sections in left and center field, and shifted the diamond a few degrees clockwise. From the late 1920s until the early 1940s the Braves tinkered with the location of the outfield fence and bleachers several times. In 1936 they moved home plate backward by about 15 feet, and in 1937 they cut out a triangular section of the right field pavilion to stretch the distance down the right field line to a respectable 318 feet (From 296 ft.). The bleachers in left and center were eventually removed, and the outfield fence from left to right-center was raised to 20, and eventually 25 ft. high. In 1941, Sky-boxes were installed on the roof, and in 1946 as part of a $500,000 facelift, light towers were erected and a new electric scoreboard was installed in left field."

And shifting the field clockwise really contributed the the extreme look of the obtuse angle. I'm not finding anything so far, as to what the field looked like before they shifted the diamond - having a more symmetrical look in relation to the grandstands.
                      Last edited by Pelt; 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                        I think the reason Wrigley's is so strange is because early in the parks life (I believe before they double decked it) the stands on the first base side were completely moved more towards the street. Does anyone have the complete story?
                        From wiki:

"By 1922, William Wrigley had decided that after nine seasons, both the seating and the playing field of cozy Cubs Park were ready for a major expansion. Rather than rebuilding the grandstand from scratch, Wrigley hired original architect Zachary Taylor Davis to make the expansion around the existing structure. The grandstand would be sliced into three pieces, with the home plate section placed on rollers and moved roughly 60 feet west (away from right field), and the left field section about 100 feet northwest. Both gaps were to be filled in with more seating, resulting in a significantly longer grandstand and the noticeable "dog leg" shape of the stands on the first base side visible to this day. Additionally, the foul ground and the height of the fence in front of it would be reduced by additional rows of box seats added in front of the existing grandstand. The diamond and the foul lines would be rotated 3 degrees counterclockwise from their earlier orientation, allowing for those extra box seats."

And here is a cool photo just for the hell of it:

wrigleyfromabove.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
                          And here is a cool photo just for the hell of it:
                          Not as cool as it could have been... it's backwards. Corbis screwed up on this one.
                          X

Comment

Good catch. I'll flip it for them.

wrigleyfromabove.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
                              Good catch. I'll flip it for them.

[ATTACH]52538[/ATTACH]
                              Y'know, I asked this question here ages ago, figuring it was relevant what with all the photographic talent flooding this place:

"How does a photo in a book/newspaper/website get FLIPPED?" Isn't putting a picture in one of these pretty straight forward, as opposed to correctly inserting a slide in one of those old slide carousel projectors?"

Just curious.
                              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X